Flying to Denver tomorrow

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Tom and I are flying to Denver in the morning and will be there a few days. We will land at Erie (KEIK), which is just a mile from my son's house. It looks like we will have a mini gathering of forum folks on Sunday. Mari and DaveB, plus Jason from the purple board will meet us on Sunday morning and we'll have breakfast at the Club House. If anyone else wants to join us, please let me know. :)

Have a safe trip.
Thanks Brook! :)

It might be windy in parts of Kansas tomorrow. We are going to stop at Hutchinson instead of our usual stop, Salina. It looks like HUT has a restaurant on the field so it will be our breakfast stop.

I'm excited to finally get the chance to meet Mari. :yes: Every other time I've been out there she's been gone.

Sometimes it can get boring flying slowly across Kansas, so we like to chase dust devils now and then to break the monotony. :)

If you get bored flying over Kansas, you can stop, rent a car and drive fifty miles out of town, then drive back. That should be more than enough to make you appreciate how much faster things go when you fly. :)

Have a fun, safe trip!

If you get bored flying over Kansas, you can stop, rent a car and drive fifty miles out of town, then drive back. That should be more than enough to make you appreciate how much faster things go when you fly. :)

Have a fun, safe trip!
That right there is funny!

Yes Diana & Tom, have a fun & safe trip!

"breakfast at the Club House" ... details? time? I haven't been to Erie in over a year, so the Club House is new to me ...

I'm excited to finally get the chance to meet Mari. :yes: Every other time I've been out there she's been gone.
I'm excited to get the chance to meet you too Diana! You should have some good weather here for the next few days.

Oh man, the one weekend that I am NOT down in Denver working on my private :(. I could have landed at EIK with the 150. It would have been my first fly in... Maybe next time.

Have fun

I will be flying up in my green Subaru with DaveB and possibly his wife. We'll try to get there around 9am. We'll meet you at the airport unless you have other instructions.

"breakfast at the Club House" ... details? time? I haven't been to Erie in over a year, so the Club House is new to me ...
Greg, I hope you can join us! :yes: The golf course in my son's neighborhood has a restaurant with a patio with a nice view. It's about two miles from the airport.

How is the trip going so far?
Thanks for asking Brook. :)

The flight out yesterday was l-o-n-g and hot. I decided to try using Hutchinson as our first stop instead of Salina. We like HUT much better and even ate at the restaurant on the field.

Goodland was great for another fuel/food stop and we bought extra homemade pies and homemade cinnamon rolls from the Butterfly Cafe (located at the airport) to bring to the kids.

Since we've been here it's been chaos with dirty diapers, spit-up, crying, giggling, laughing, pouting, crying, applying band-aids, running in the house, time-outs, laughing, etc...stuff that comes with three little kids (ages 3, 1 1/2, and 3 months). :yes: We're off for an outing with the kiddos shortly.

Both places sound like awesome fuel stops.

Wow...with three kids under the age of 4 sounds like you guys have your hands full. Are the parents home or did they leave to go on a trip?

I will be flying up in my green Subaru with DaveB and possibly his wife.
Mari, it was wonderful finally getting to meet you, and Greg as well. Hopefully we can go flying together next time! :yes:

I kept Greg going around in circles in the jeep as I tried to find our way to my son's house. :D All those houses and roads look the same. :yes:

Here are some pictures that we took today at the Erie airport. :) The tall young man in the white shirt is Jason (Tadpole from the purple board) and the gentleman in the green ball cap, George, is a friend of my son's who is a CFI. Tom and George went flying in the Citabria. Dave B is in the yellow shirt. Greg has the white ball cap and green shirt. :)

Attachments

• Colorado 04.JPG
    Colorado 04.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Colorado 06.JPG
    Colorado 06.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Colorado July 2008 050 30.JPG
    Colorado July 2008 050 30.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Colorado July 2008 062 30.JPG
    Colorado July 2008 062 30.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 24
  • Colorado July 2008 068 30.JPG
    Colorado July 2008 068 30.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 23
I had a great time today, Diana. It was fun meeting everyone and breakfast was wonderful. I have e-mailed you the pictures I took for your approval and I will post them once I get it. :yes:

OK, here are my pictures from Erie.

Picture 1 - "Tadpole", DaveB, Tom (Diana's husband)
Picture 2 - "Tadpole", Me, DaveB
Picture 3 - DaveB and his breakfast
Picture 4 - GregK, "Tadpole", DaveB, Diana, George, Tom
Picture 5 - George in the Citabria

Attachments

• Erie (1) [640x480].jpg
    Erie (1) [640x480].jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Erie (2) [640x480].jpg
    Erie (2) [640x480].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Erie (5) [640x480].jpg
    Erie (5) [640x480].jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Erie (7) [640x480].jpg
    Erie (7) [640x480].jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Erie (8) [640x480].jpg
    Erie (8) [640x480].jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 14
Wow...with three kids under the age of 4 sounds like you guys have your hands full. Are the parents home or did they leave to go on a trip?
Brook, their parents are still here. Seems like everything is so "constant" with little kids.

It's all about them, really. I don't remember being around so much screaming when mine was little. But then, I only had one. :dunno:

Woo, I'm posting on the blue board!

I had a great time...here's my pic I took with my bird and Diana's behind it!

Hmmm, can't find the attachment button...so let's try this...

nm, to big to insert

Cool! :yes:

nm, to big to insert
Here ya go. :D

You have such a big engine. ;) I'm still trying to figure out the spinner thing.

I hope your daughter is feeling better tonight. :yes:

Attachments

• Erie.jpg
    Erie.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 24
You have such a big engine.

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out the spinner thing.

We've never had them on the T-41s. You can probably google more info on them, T-41 Mescalero. The Army had a bunch as well.

I hope your daughter is feeling better tonight.

She's asleep right now, but she was not feeling good when I got home. Several meltdowns today, refused to nap. I just hope she sleeps longer than 1 hour..she hasn't been sleeping very well, and I think in the 15 months she's been alive, she's slept through the night maybe 3 times.

nm, to big to insert
Welcome, Jason!

Hey all - very nice meeting you and thanks so much for hanging the invitation out there, Diana! I really enjoyed it and asked myself on the drive home why I don't do this sort of thing more often.

Jason - welcome to the blue board! Without a spinner, how do you remember which end is the "pointy end"? :) Did you fly the VFR corridor to get south?

Last edited:
Did you fly the VFR corridor to get south?

Not really, I was going over BJC's airspace, but I went to 11,500 since it was so warm...I got on with DEN and they clearned me into Class B and I went direct.

the beauty of "more power" ... I might be able to get to 11.5 by the time I got to COS ... maybe ... :)

I was at 8.5 when I got to BJC's airspace, and 11.5 probably by the south side of it. What's funny is I was complaining at the lack of performance since it was so hot..haha.

Another welcome to the Blue Board, Tadpole. Glad you made it back to COS OK. The winds there were only 19.9 knots, right? ;)

Another welcome to the Blue Board, Tadpole. Glad you made it back to COS OK. The winds there were only 19.9 knots, right? ;)

For the record... :yes:

Off the record...24kts, 20° off the runway

We finally made it home. Flew for 6.9 hours going out on Friday and 6.6 hours flying home today. We stopped at Goodland and Hutchinson for food again. Gosh, today couldn't have been better for flying. :yes: Severe clear and not as hot as last Friday.

It was great meeting everyone...let's do it again. :yes:

We finally made it home. Flew for 6.9 hours going out on Friday and 6.6 hours flying home today. We stopped at Goodland and Hutchinson for food again. Gosh, today couldn't have been better for flying. :yes: Severe clear and not as hot as last Friday.

It was great meeting everyone...let's do it again. :yes:

For sure...and not just OSH!

the beauty of "more power" ... I might be able to get to 11.5 by the time I got to COS ... maybe ... :)

Hey, I resemble that remark. PUB to COS at 80 knots cruise-climb all the way - barely topped their airspace...and I was solo in a Skyhawk...a very worn Skyhawk...ok, it is more like a groundhog than a hawk...ok, it's just one lame engine and a hand-me-down prop from a Jenny but I passed my checkride in it so just leave it alone, ok?

I fly a skyhawk out of COS....

but it's 210HP

I fly a skyhawk out of COS....

but it's 210HP

You jus' wait 'til I get the Dakota. Then we'll see who goes further, faster, higher.

Ok, ok, you'll still outclimb me...

You jus' wait 'til I get the Dakota. Then we'll see who goes further, faster, higher.

Ok, ok, you'll still outclimb me...

Maybe our club will have our 182RG flying by then! Hehehe

Maybe our club will have our 182RG flying by then! Hehehe

Hey now, foldy gear is cheatin'. I'll still have a better autopilot, yeah, that's it, a better autopilot...3-axis, coupled, yeah, that's it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Either way, the eating is good at the Spitfire Grill in Pueblo!

Had a blast, it was much fun. It was especially nice to meet so many new people, I had no idea that so many would be there. I like some of the "geek" stuff George had too, it's got me thinking. :confused:

We made it home aound 9:30 local time after 8.5 hours. Made 3 stops along the way so it wasn't too bad for us. We had a gentle tail wind with a top speed of 145 kts at one time (I could learn to like that). :yes:

Thanks for posting that picture Mari, ya know the tall one right in the middle, with mouth wide open and food on fork, :eek: I'll get even, I don't get angry hahahaha.

Thanks again to all for adding something extra to my trip to Denver.

BTW anyone thinking about going to Denver, if APA works for you it's great. It might look intimidating but it's not. ATC Air was unbelievably friendly. Besides having a self fuel at $5.22 the tie down for four nights cost me zip, nada. I made several trips out to the plane while there and the guys were always more than happy to give me a ride. It was my choice, but they almost begged to help. Holy Cow, when was the last time anyone saw that type of service.

Thanks for posting that picture Mari, ya know the tall one right in the middle, with mouth wide open and food on fork, :eek:
I thought that was a cute picture, and it showed our yummy breakfast. :yes:

I'll get even
I'm sure you will!

BTW anyone thinking about going to Denver, if APA works for you it's great. It might look intimidating but it's not. ATC Air was unbelievably friendly. Besides having a self fuel at $5.22 the tie down for four nights cost me zip, nada. I made several trips out to the plane while there and the guys were always more than happy to give me a ride. It was my choice, but they almost begged to help. Holy Cow, when was the last time anyone saw that type of service.
Just to clarify, the the FBO you used was TAC Air. I don't know why some people are sometimes put off by KAPA. It's a fine airport and my home. Maybe next time you are here we'll have some time for me to show you the Cessna.

Back