Flying to DC

harkan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
harkan
I need to be in DC this weekend and was looking for recommendations on where to fly into. I need to get to the capitol area so will need some form of transportation from whatever airport. What's the most convenient?

I won't be able to do all the paperwork for the FRZ in time so I'm looking for which airport would be most convenient outside of the FRZ. My current thought is IAD. Have seen some comments that it is fairly friendly to GA. I'll probably come in IFR to make some of the SFRA rules a bit more transparent.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I need to be in DC this weekend and was looking for recommendations on where to fly into. I need to get to the capitol area so will need some form of transportation from whatever airport. What's the most convenient?

I won't be able to do all the paperwork for the FRZ in time so I'm looking for which airport would be most convenient outside of the FRZ. My current thought is IAD. Have seen some comments that it is fairly friendly to GA. I'll probably come in IFR to make some of the SFRA rules a bit more transparent.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Which direction will you be coming from? HEF is not that hard to get into and you can get to the Metro through a cab ride.

Which direction will you be coming from? HEF is not that hard to get into and you can get to the Metro through a cab ride.

Oops forgot to mention that I'll be coming from New York.

Freeway (W00) is going to get you the closest but I dont know how far it is to the metro or marc.
Ain't nothin' but the bus stop near the airport -- after walking across Route 50.:hairraise: The approaches in there are not for the faint of heart or unskilled in short runways and obstructed approaches, either.

Suggest either GAI or HEF, depending on arrival from the N/E or S/W (respectively). Both have rental cars (recommend Dulles Aviation at HEF, no choices at GAI) or cab to Metro. Make sure you've done the DC SFRA course, and don't squawk 1200.

PS: From NY, use GAI. Call ahead if you need a rental car. Expect IFR routing to bring you in via V16 ENO, V268 EMI, and then either direct for the visual or over to FDK for the SIAP. They may also send you from SWANN intersection west of ENO through the Ft Meade Gap (ANP-W18-GAI) at 2000 feet, but make sure you have your sectional open if you do that -- you're just about scraping the FRZ.

Last edited:
As others have said, KGAI is the best option if you want to use public transportation. If you're willing to spend the money for an inexpensive car rental (really, it's about as much as some cab rides), W00, KJYO, and KHEF are all good options (with W00 being the closer one and more challenging with narrow runway).

IFR will make the SFRA transparent to you (with the one exception of maintaining your squawk code until on the ground), but you still need to take the FAA SFRA course.

IFR will make the SFRA transparent to you (with the one exception of maintaining your squawk code until on the ground), but you still need to take the FAA SFRA course.
If you stay IFR, technically, you don't have to take the course, but you'd be foolish not to, and you would not be able to cancel IFR in the air or pick up your IFR after takeoff (think departure delays).

The good news is Potomac has an RCO at GAI allowing you to get codes and clearances on the ground by radio, and easily cancel after landing if necessary. Just sometimes it's a lot faster after filing IFR to launch VFR (with your 4-digit code) and get the IFR once airborne -- don't have to wait for folks on the approach to cancel or a hole in the arrival flow.

The good news is Potomac has an RCO at GAI allowing you to get codes and clearances on the ground by radio, and easily cancel after landing if necessary...
KJYO has this, too (118.55). :wink2:

...but public transportation options from there to DC are limited to rush hour buses and cabs. Car rental is the best option and Enterprise will have the car waiting for you there. That holds for KHEF, too (though the VRE train running one way during rush hour replaces the bus option).

BTW, KHEF is the only towered option without going to BWI or IAD. JYO and HEF have more on-field amenities/services than GAI.

Thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated. I'll give GAI a try since that appears to be the easiest option using the metro. Which may be a bit more consistent than traffic, etc.

Thanks again!

Thanks again for all the suggestions. KGAI worked out well. Was pretty easy to get into the city from the metro.

Back