Flying to D.C. for work. Where to land?

Its forever. It's also been simplified, so you can actually do the whole FRZ process remotely before you get to DC...at least with VKX, anyway.

If I set it up through VKX can I go to any of the other 2 MD airports?

If I set it up through VKX can I go to any of the other 2 MD airports?
Yes, but I believe you need to be briefed about the specifics of operating at each individual airport. That usually can be done upon arrival, but call the airport before you fly in to be sure of the process.

The best resource is Stan at W32.

Yes, but I believe you need to be briefed about the specifics of operating at each individual airport. That usually can be done upon arrival, but call the airport before you fly in to be sure of the process.

The best resource is Stan at W32.

Practically speaking, there's no operational difference between the three airports anymore. Once you're vetted for one, you're good for all three.

Practically speaking, there's no operational difference between the three airports anymore. Once you're vetted for one, you're good for all three.
That's always been true. There were some differences in ground operations at each and it used to be that you had to have a one-time briefing for each one.... but you could fly-in to get that briefing. If that part of the process is gone, it's good news.

Its forever. It's also been simplified, so you can actually do the whole FRZ process remotely before you get to DC...at least with VKX, anyway.

I haven't followed the changes. What is the new and improved process ? Can you go to a place different from DCA ops to get the fingerprints ? Have they eliminated the FSDO visit ?

Thank you all. I am looking at all the suggestions and will look into getting inside the circle of trust to land closer. Haha.

They trust you enough to fly a helo loaded with anti-tank missiles, but once you are in that vaunted P28R attack piper you become a security risk....

You getting orders for the Pentagon already? Thought you guys don't get stuck there until you pick up O-5.

Last edited:
I haven't followed the changes. What is the new and improved process ? Can you go to a place different from DCA ops to get the fingerprints ? Have they eliminated the FSDO visit ?

Yes and yes.

You can now get your fingerprints done at a number of different places, including your local law enforcement agency if they qualify.

Since May, you no longer need to visit a FSDO because the TSA is now accessing FAA's data directly and performing a screen of the pilot enforcement history.

So yes, you can finally do the whole process remotely, although it will still require jumping through a few hoops. Much better than the all-day process that you used to have to go through.

That's always been true. There were some differences in ground operations at each and it used to be that you had to have a one-time briefing for each one.... but you could fly-in to get that briefing. If that part of the process is gone, it's good news.

I believe they all allow you to get the briefing online now. When I first did it in 2005, I had to watch a grainy VHS recording of a presentation given on the FRZ. There was also some secret squirrel stuff, but that was a joke, really.

I believe they all allow you to get the briefing online now. When I first did it in 2005, I had to watch a grainy VHS recording of a presentation given on the FRZ. There was also some secret squirrel stuff, but that was a joke, really.
Yeah, same here.

I would recommend FME (Tipton) but it may be a bit out of your way, but if I remember correctly there is a car rental agency on site, and there may be one near by, it's not that much farther and its out of the frz, all you have to do is talk to atc and do the SFRA transition video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd forgotten about Tipton. I was going to say, it's way up by Baltimore, but in fact, it's a straighter shot into the Pentagon than any of the other airports mentioned.

I'd forgotten about Tipton. I was going to say, it's way up by Baltimore, but in fact, it's a straighter shot into the Pentagon than any of the other airports mentioned.

True, if you can ignore traffic. And traffic is never really a factor in DC.

Actually, the traffic on that route isn't much worse than the alternatives. None of them are an issue off-peak but they are will be challenging otherwise. When I worked at the Pentagon, I only came in by car on the weekends. I took the Metro (no bargain on time these days either) in from Vienna when I had to be there during the week.

I was based at FME for a while; really more a DC centric location than Baltimore. Don't recall car rental there, but certain Enterprise or Uber would be available. Non rush hour, the Baltimore Washington Parkway is close, and a straight shot to NoVA. Death trap in rush hours, but DC trades places with LA every few months for worst urban traffic in America. The Metro is going through a big catch -up on deferred maintenance now, with long delays, etc. Even when full service is on, it is sloooow, expensive, and unreliable. If you absoloutly have to be somewhere in DC, consider forgetting Metro, arriving the night before, and get a hotel near your destination.

You getting orders for the Pentagon already? Thought you guys don't get stuck there until you pick up O-5.

Thankfully, I'm just a senior O-3. I am on staff at Rucker now and have a lot of future meetings in the building. Cool job, but less Army flying. I still get to guest though.

Back