Flying to Cancun then on to Costa Rica

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Anyone ever done it? Looks like if you went via South Florida -> Over Cuba -> Cancun you'd not be on top of the pond for very long.

Looks like Havana would be a good fuel stop from Savannah, not sure the US gummint would agree.

Anyone ever done it? Looks like if you went via South Florida -> Over Cuba -> Cancun you'd not be on top of the pond for very long.

Looks like Havana would be a good fuel stop from Savannah, not sure the US gummint would agree.

I flew the Comanche to Grand Cayman Islands with an overflight permit from Cuba it was arranged by Caribbean Adventures. I think they charge $50 membership and one free over flight permit per year included. They can help planning as well. You need to be IFR to over fly Cuba. Cubans love American Tourests and welcome you with open arms and pockets. The US Gment don't like us to spend money there because they are backwards. We have beat every enemy on the planet but we still hold a grudge against cuba..stupidity IMO.

I'd recommend you plant to book to Cayman Islands 150 miles south of Cuba for fuel stop. It is a very nice place to stop and spend a few days as well....of course if you hear a knock in the engine, a vibration, or have a bird strike, who knows maybe oil temperature starts rising so you call control and declare an pan pan landing in Cuba to check things out, you cannot be flying over water wondering what is going on with the engine or prop. Once you refill have a mechanic check your blades clean feathers out of the cowl check your oil screen, you can go on to your destination legally. Might be worth a call to the US Embassy while on the ground and tell them what happened. Pictures of a dead seagull parts might be more convincing and makes a great story book for later.

Last edited:
Rusty,
Here is a little info about your proposed trip. You can get a Cuban overflight permit from several sources. Jim Parker (CaribbeanFlyingAdventures) is one source. The Mexicans would like you to arrive in Cozumel instead of Cancun and price it accordingly. Costa Rica is a nice place but have hourly ramp fees that will knock your socks off. Last year I flew all the way around the Gulf and Caribbean. Returned through Panama and Latin America and overflew Costa Rica due to the ramp (parking) fees of $150/day. Could be a fun trip but you had better spend some time on the details or you will be broke before you get home.

Rusty,
Here is a little info about your proposed trip. You can get a Cuban overflight permit from several sources. Jim Parker (CaribbeanFlyingAdventures) is one source. The Mexicans would like you to arrive in Cozumel instead of Cancun and price it accordingly. Costa Rica is a nice place but have hourly ramp fees that will knock your socks off. Last year I flew all the way around the Gulf and Caribbean. Returned through Panama and Latin America and overflew Costa Rica due to the ramp (parking) fees of $150/day. Could be a fun trip but you had better spend some time on the details or you will be broke before you get home.

I'm broke before I leave home... just "what if"ing it right now, going to make a Bahama's run this summer. Set to finish up my IR early this summer, and the thought crossed my mind about going that direction around December.

You can do key west to Cancun. You don't need an overflight permit for Cuba but you talk to them. They are very polite and helpful. Did it last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can do key west to Cancun. You don't need an overflight permit for Cuba but you talk to them. They are very polite and helpful. Did it last year.

I looked at the D-> from Key West to Cancun. Seems like Cuba would be an option if you HAD TO divert.

When traveling south of the US you may notice that the fuel truck remains parked directly in front of your plane until the bill is paid and the card is approved. I always assumed it was probably just a local custom.

When traveling south of the US you may notice that the fuel truck remains parked directly in front of your plane until the bill is paid and the card is approved. I always assumed it was probably just a local custom.

I've flown North of the US and it's self serve at full serve prices.

Sometimes the price difference between card and cash will be boggling. Be prepared to revisit your liter/gal conversion tables as well.

I've flown North of the US and it's self serve at full serve prices.

I looked at the D-> from Key West to Cancun. Seems like Cuba would be an option if you HAD TO divert.

Yes Cuba is an option. Actually most of the time you are in gliding distance from an alternate. There ears also tons of ships on that route so I feel it is a manageable risk.

If you want to stop in Cancun, use Cozumel instead. Much less traffic, much easier. You'll need Mexican insurance if you land in Mexico. If you use the appropriate airways down there, you don't need a Cuban overflight permit. They're very friendly to talk to. File IFR, makes it all easy.

Back