Flying to Boulder

beammeup

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
beammeup
I am flying into KBDU from Fort Worth next month (KFWS) and have my route generally mapped out. My question is once I get into the Denver area what the best approach is. i.e, straight in (anticipating using flight following) and having to navigate the various airspaces, or heading west just before Denver and then shooting straight north into KBDU.

I'm a new pilot and have not had high altitude/terrain experience; planning on using a Cessna 182.

Get the Denver TAC then turn it over for the VFR corridor - essentially (but not exactly) slightly west of I-25 northbound at 7500' then a hard left once clear KBJC.

Probably best to stay a little south of the Bravo until west of I-25 the head north staying between 1-25 and Wadsworth. Get a Denver TAC and look at the VFR routes on the back. Traffic can be heavy south of APA or it can be zilch. Just depends.

Definitely get Flight Following when near Denver - 128.45 for approach on the south side. Denver Approach is very helpful with traffic and routing if you ask for that help (and frequently even if you don't ask). Talking to approach may get you routed through the Bravo directly over APA then west of 1-25 and north to BDU.

BDU can be a bit tricky. On of my primary instructors said to never land from the east. Go elsewhere when the winds were from the west. All I can say is that I've never landed to the west at BDU. YMMV.

Get some high density altitude training while at BDU. Leaning for best power is important prior to departure. It's something you sea level guys never do.

The 182 will serve you well and may cover for your mistakes. Don't get slow on approach - fly airspeed, not TLR since things will seem fast at the higher true airspeeds you'll see here. Keep the nose down on approach and a little power in and the 182 will treat you well.

(Greg was quicker and more concise)

I have had great luck just asking the Denver approach guys for clearance into the Bravo and direct to any of those airports up there. As has been mentioned you can fly up and split the difference between the Bravo and BJC Delta at 7500. You can also go up the foothills to the west of BJC. My experience is a few more bumps along the foothills routing and I just prefer to go up in the Bravo and not having to worry about it. The only place they may deviate you is to stay west of I-25 until you get north of Centennial. It can be busy airspace many times. Amazingly today it was dead. I switched to 126.1 on our way past BJC into Longmont and after a while of dead air I finally called for a radio check. I told the controller I had never heard it that quiet. He agreed and said he was worried what that might be a sign of :)

One thing to keep your eyes open for up there is just the volume of gliders, sky divers, drop zones, and just general training traffic from a lot of airports right in that area on the way up.. thus the best course using flight following.

Carl

Another opportunity/excuse for a dinner?

@abeammeup: Howdy neighbor! Welcome to PoA!

I fly out of BDU, If you're going to be there on a weekend let me know I can meet you there, shoot me a PM. You can just ask the BJC tower for a transition they're very nice people :yes: as stated before the 182 will serve you very well.

Keep a very keen eye out for glider traffic the glider runway is right next to the main runway. Keep in mind runway 26 is right traffic. There is a road to the north of the airport where you'll be flying your pattern called Jay road... really just the first road that is parallel and North of the runway. Do NOT cross this road for noise abatement reasons. Boulderites whine a lot.

There is no added danger depending on the runway you land on. Just keep an eye out for lenticulars or mountain wave and be ready to go around... just the same as any airport.

Without any mountain training I would also advise you do not go into the foothills.

Last edited:
Be sure to check the winds aloft forecast for DEN and West. If the winds are going to be greater than 25 kts out of the West at 12,000 ft. there can be a profound mountain wave along the foothills with rotor activity over KBDU. Learn to recognize ACSL and rotor clouds. Sometimes the rotor sets up right over the airport. Landing East or West is OK without the wave. If on approach landing East or West, when the wave is present, at the SLIGHTEST suspicion that all isn't well go around and think through your options. FWIW I instructed out of KBDU for many years.....

I wouldn't plan to arrive there in the afternoon. Even though it isn't summer this year has produced some strong wind. Coming from Ft. Worth that means a really early start.

I am flying into KBDU from Fort Worth next month (KFWS) and have my route generally mapped out. My question is once I get into the Denver area what the best approach is. i.e, straight in (anticipating using flight following) and having to navigate the various airspaces, or heading west just before Denver and then shooting straight north into KBDU.

I'm a new pilot and have not had high altitude/terrain experience; planning on using a Cessna 182.

KBDU's altitude shouldn't change much about your flight, your plane certainly won't have any issues. I had a 152 out to Laramie WY yesterday and I probably wouldn't want to push through to there with less power than we had.

There is a lot of skydiving activity around Boulder and Longmont, not to mention the gliders. Wind can be choppy once you get near the foothills, but it's not always. Watch for the lenticular clouds, high wind over the mountain will give you a lot of wave effect and that can make the landing at KBDU a little tricky.

I do this trip once in a while. My way is a bit different but it works for me. I fly direct to SIGNE just south of KAPA, then do a right turn and fly NW to the west of KBJC around 7500'. You can ask for transition at 7500' from BJC, or just go around to the west, whatever works.

I've landed to the east at BDU, and while it's not the best be ready for bumpy stuff. You can get changing winds all around the field, keep your hand on the throttle and be ready for some pushing and pulling that you may not be used to for maintaining altitude and level flight. Flying up the west side of the metro will give you an idea of what the winds are doing off the mtns.

Back