Flying to ATL

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
I am scheduled to do a presentation at the Westin Atlanta Airport in October. If I want to fly in, should I land at KATL with my Skylane, or would it actually be advantageous (e.g. cheaper) to land at a reliever airport and then take public transportation or the like to Hartsfield? Or do I just fly in commercial? I'll be there about four nights.

I have no idea on the costs of leaving a plane at ATL while you're here nor PDK which would be the other option that could get you close to mass transit. I would probably opt for commercial. If you're hear on a Thursday evening we'll have to get you up to LZU for our regular group dinner and BS session.

As Eppy said, going to ATL is a mystery for most of us locals. Fulton County is the closest field that is served by public transport. You could go there and catch a cab to ATL if you wanted. PDK is spendy, but is close to downtown and has good logistics.

Personally, I'd stay away from ATL, but I don't have data to back that up.

As Eppy said, going to ATL is a mystery for most of us locals. Fulton County is the closest field that is served by public transport. You could go there and catch a cab to ATL if you wanted. PDK is spendy, but is close to downtown and has good logistics.

Personally, I'd stay away from ATL, but I don't have data to back that up.

Ditto.

I landed PDK and had no trouble, and don't recall any memorable fees. I had a ride, so don't know about public transport. Then again, they have cabs and limos and stuff.

There is a MARTA station very close to PDK. It's the line that runs down to ATL.

Based on what I'm readng here, plus the realization that I'm going to need to leave midway through the last day of the seminar to teach a course back in Chicago that evening, I think that commercial is the way to go. Nip a potential case of get-there-itis in the bud. I'll be arriving on Friday 10/21 and departing Tuesday around noon. I won't be there for a Thursday, but maybe we could get together some other evening?

Based on what I'm readng here, plus the realization that I'm going to need to leave midway through the last day of the seminar to teach a course back in Chicago that evening, I think that commercial is the way to go. Nip a potential case of get-there-itis in the bud. I'll be arriving on Friday 10/21 and departing Tuesday around noon. I won't be there for a Thursday, but maybe we could get together some other evening?

I'll work out something while you're here, no problem.

The Westin is an 8 minute courtesy bus ride from the transpo center at ATL. They share the bus with the Sheraton Gateway and run every 20 minutes. They'll take you to several local restaurants on request or you can head back to ATL to catch the train to downtown. Joe's on Sullivan is a decent sports bar type place a couple blocks walk from the hotel. Not much else around except for the other hotels and a Fridays about 4 blocks away. Get up to Spondivits on Virgine avenue (north side of the airport) if you like good seafood.

FTY is definitely closer than PDK but don't know how the public transportation is out there.

What seminar will you be doing? I park there and the lot fills up occasionally when they have some events.

Give me a heads up, and maybe we can arrrange a Comet ride while you are in town.

The Westin is an 8 minute courtesy bus ride from the transpo center at ATL. They share the bus with the Sheraton Gateway and run every 20 minutes. They'll take you to several local restaurants on request or you can head back to ATL to catch the train to downtown. Joe's on Sullivan is a decent sports bar type place a couple blocks walk from the hotel. Not much else around except for the other hotels and a Fridays about 4 blocks away. Get up to Spondivits on Virgine avenue (north side of the airport) if you like good seafood.

FTY is definitely closer than PDK but don't know how the public transportation is out there.

What seminar will you be doing? I park there and the lot fills up occasionally when they have some events.

Give me a heads up, and maybe we can arrrange a Comet ride while you are in town.
Sounds good! It's SETA (SunGard Higher Education Technology Association), a small product-specific higher ed organization. I expect no more that 600 attendees, unlike OracleWorld, with it's 40,000 attendees! :)

Unfortunately, I think that going commercial makes the most sense for this trip. It's less than a sixth the cost of GA and the company will reimburse me (presuming I sell them on letting me take the trip to begin with). Plus, with the too-tight schedule on the back end it avoids the "get-there-itis" I mentioned earlier.

It looks like there's a conference dinner on Sunday night, and I expect that a group will gather Saturday night, so Friday or Monday night might work best.

Get up to Spondivits on Virgine avenue (north side of the airport) if you like good seafood.

I don't remember the seafood... but I remember the shot list.... :cheerswine::drink:

If you go out,

The Vortex has the best burgers and who doesn't like walking through a skull to go eat.

Best breakfast: The Flying Buscuit.

Give a holler if you're able to make the trip down in October. I'm ~40 mins south of downtown ATL.

Sounds good! It's SETA (SunGard Higher Education Technology Association), a small product-specific higher ed organization.

You have stuff hosted there or you work for 'em? Just curious.

I helped build the company that sold out to SunGard in Denver and various other cities after laying off 400, me included. I was employee #42 there. Oh well. I rebounded after a year and learned that "company family" is BS. Good learning experience.

Now I have a job with a company that has some stuff hosted there.

The Denver North facility is looking pretty ratty out in the office areas. Drywall patches that haven't been painted, etc. Datacenter's still about the same.

I get annoyed being asked if I'm a U.S. Citizen to enter the place and digging out my Driver's License from my wallet every time I go there to do maintenance. Our other datacenter issues us a badge and a PIN for our suite area's door and we come and go as we please. Have our own keys to our cage.

I should whip out a Passport and break the whole "process". LOL! ;)

You have stuff hosted there or you work for 'em? Just curious.

I helped build the company that sold out to SunGard in Denver and various other cities after laying off 400, me included. I was employee #42 there. Oh well. I rebounded after a year and learned that "company family" is BS. Good learning experience.

Now I have a job with a company that has some stuff hosted there.

The Denver North facility is looking pretty ratty out in the office areas. Drywall patches that haven't been painted, etc. Datacenter's still about the same.

I get annoyed being asked if I'm a U.S. Citizen to enter the place and digging out my Driver's License from my wallet every time I go there to do maintenance. Our other datacenter issues us a badge and a PIN for our suite area's door and we come and go as we please. Have our own keys to our cage.

I should whip out a Passport and break the whole "process". LOL! ;)
The college I work for uses SunGard's Banner product. We're self-hosted.

Ahh software. Now a seminar makes sense to me. ;)

I kept trying to figure out what users of a co-lo would talk about at seminars. Old power failures, HVAC disaster recovery with Move 'N' Cools and all the doors wide open, which NOC guy tells the best jokes...

Well, it's a moot point, because funding for the meeting fell through. No trip to ATL.

Well dang. There goes that PoA get together.

Back