Flying to Alaska (maybe)

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Sitting here thinking about where to go next summer on a trip and wondered about Alaska.

Is there a better time of year as far as weather dependability? I know on the East coast July and early August can be foggy/rainy and late August into September is best. Is it similar in Alaska?

Would you go up the East side of the Rockies and cross over up north or fly the BC coastline?

May-Sept. is the best time weather-wise, with the core months June-Aug. most likely to have good weather. Whenever you go, and whatever your route, plan some extra time for weather delays, or plan on some IFR.

AOPA's website has lots of good information, and you can find other sources by Googling.

The Alaska Highway route is the easiest way to go. Flying up the coast is beautiful but the weather is really "iffy" and the IFR demands good skills. There are mountains near all the coastal airports.

I flew up from Texas in Aug. 2003. Went up via the Highway and, with a solid gold forecast for good weather, came back via the Inside Passage, i.e., down the coast via Yakutat, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

By all means, do it!

bstratt said:
Sitting here thinking about where to go next summer on a trip and wondered about Alaska.
Geez Barry, I'm envious! First you fly to France (well, almost) and now planning a trip to Alaska! Wonderful!

"Southeast" Alaska (the area around Juneau) is a temperate rain forest, with all that the name implies. I encountered considerable rain and overcast when I was there in August several years ago. It is the typical scenario of onshore winds from the ocean lifting the moisture over rising terrain - presto, clouds and rain. But there is plenty of Alaska beyond Juneau. Others can advise you on where to go, I have only been in Juneau once by commercial air, and never beyond say 50 miles in either direction from Juneau. But it was certifiably beautiful and well worth the trip.

Just think, folks, I knew Barry back when.....

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Just think, folks, I knew Barry back when.....

-Skip

LOL!! If I can't do this one next summer I hope to fly back to the "old stomping grounds" of CT and visit Block Island again. If we do I'll let you know when.

If you make it to Anchorage, drop me a line. I'm just minutes from PAMR.

Just moved here, though... so I can't give you much local advice. It rained here for more or less the entire months of August and September, but the locals all told me that this was unusual. It usually rains only the entire month of August.

--Kath

Back