Flying to Alaska July 2016!

bjohnsonmn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bjohnsonmn
Hello All,

I will be heading to Alaska, following the Alaska Highway the middle of July. Right now, my ETD is July 9-11, with 14 total days window the the round trip. My planned route of flight keeps me in areas with low minimum safe flight requirements, though I will have the option to fly high if needed for wind (Bringing O2 along).

Gear: N96418, the trusty C182 with extended range tanks, Horton STOL, a newer engine/pain/interior, and a great avionics stack.

Navigation: iPad with Foreflight (US/CAN), spare iPad, Stratus 2 and Stratux, GTN650 installed

I am also bringing along a DeLorme InReach with 2 way capabilities, which means I can share my tracks online, in real-time!

While you can always follow along online, I am happy to have company for any part of the trip. The journey will be between 3 and 4 days in each direction and 3 to 4 days in Alaska, leaving plenty of weather days and flexibility. My point of departure is KFCM (Minneapolis area). My point of entry into Canada is likely the international peace garden in North Dakota, and I plan to enter AK at Northway.

Cheers!

Sounds like a fun flight.! Used to be a just Ok little hamburger place on the Northway airport. I don't know if it is still there. If not, Fast Eddy's in Tok is just across the street from the airport. www.fasteddysrestaurant.com Its not bad at all, but expect high prices since the restaurant, hotel and gas station are all owned by the same person. I used to live and work at the airport in Tok.

Please keep us updated during the trip.!!

Did the trip two years ago,only thing in north way is the weather station. Be sure to do the entry Eapis . Plenty of cameras that show the passes. I enjoyed an overnight at Tok on the way back.no gas at Tok enjoy the trip.get a copy of the Alcan highway chart.

Did the trip two years ago,only thing in north way is the weather station. Be sure to do the entry Eapis . Plenty of cameras that show the passes. I enjoyed an overnight at Tok on the way back.no gas at Tok enjoy the trip.get a copy of the Alcan highway chart.

I was in Tok last Summer and they had fuel. Airnav shows fuel available but a call to 40 Mile Air would certainly be in order. Stayed and ate at Fast Eddie's too. Decent food at OK prices for the middle of nowhere.

Sorry meant to say no fuel at north way. Plenty of gas at Tok.

I'm also thinking about a trip. For those who have done it, how long did it actually take from the lower 48 (and from where)?
How was the weather in the summer? Any other big gotchas?

(I'd be flying from Bedford to Anchorage in the summer in an IFR capable/current Archer)

Well, I didn't quite make it the entire way there! The weather in Canada this summer was exceptionally stormy, so my trip included diversions and alternates...

It took me two days from KFCM (Near Minneapolis, MN) to North of Calgary (Rock Mountain House, which I STRONGLY recommend as an overnight destination. They have a courtesy car and free parking). Ft. Nelson in one more day. A trough setup over the highway and so I ended up turning around and spending time in Northern Alberta. A word of caution. The only hangar to park in at Ft. Nelson was $250 CAD per night. If it looks like you need shelter from hail, be ready to pay more to park your plane than your butt in a hotel.

Overall, amazing trip. Just be ready to work if you go IFR single pilot, you'll want an autopilot.

I'm also thinking about a trip. For those who have done it, how long did it actually take from the lower 48 (and from where)?

(I'd be flying from Bedford to Anchorage in the summer in an IFR capable/current Archer)

Thanks for the tips. Useful info. If I go I would take a pilot buddy along who could help fly, plus I have a trusty KAP-150 autopilot. I was hoping to allot one month for the trip (one week there, one week in AK, one week back and one week for whatever mother nature throws at me!)

A month should be plenty! I set an easy to get to goal every day and a where I wanted to go goal. It is an amazing flight, even as far as I got. I may suggest on the way back going Ft. Nelson B.C., High Level AB, Ft. McMurray AB, then south around the Cold Lake military area. I spent two nights in Ft. Mac. Take time to check out the Alberta oil sands by renting a car. Ft. McMurray aviation let me park on the ramp for $15 CAD per night and I rented a car from Enterprise who picked me up at the FBO from the commercial terminal.

Did trip in 2014 KOWD Norwood to Fairbanks and back to Norwood stopping at osh for the show.trip was relatively easy ,mostly VFR. 72 hrs flying time,20 days. Spent 3 days in Fairbanks due to rain and low ceilings .

From Las Vegas NV, up through Bellingham WA, Abbotsford, Lake Williams, Prince George, Ft Nelson, Watson Lake, then Al-Can to Northway AK, Anchorage, Homer, Tallkeetna, Fairbanks, Tok, then back to Watson's Lake, Ft Nelson, Edmonton, cleared US customs at Cut Bank MT.. then Helena, Salt Lake, and home to Las Vegas.

T41B, 125KTAS, 53 hours.
I went in early August. Big problem on returning was forest fires in Idaho. There were some fires in "The Ditch" between Prince George and Watson Lake, hence the trip around to Ft Nelson on the way up.

Heard of all the problems with CBP in the Vancouver area, so picked Cut Bank for return. Filed eApis and talked with CBP before departing Edmonton. Had no issues with CBP in AK nor Cut Bank. FSS camera system in AK is great and available on internet.

NavCanada for FSS services is great. They bill by the quarter, so plan your trip in one calendar quarter so as not to have to pay for two quarters.

Last edited:
This sounds like an awesome trip. Alaska is on our bucket list too.

Both of you should post some pictures!

Attachments

• 15 - Leaving Watson Lake YT.jpg
    15 - Leaving Watson Lake YT.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 10 - Watson Lake YT.jpg
    10 - Watson Lake YT.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 8
Some more pictures

Attachments

• 18 - First Glacier Peaks YT.jpg
    18 - First Glacier Peaks YT.jpg