Flying throuh the Middle Ages in Italy

Very nice!

Share more, we are watching.

Way cool. Sorta what I had in mind for my own little adventures, though I doubt I'm ever going to reach anywhere near so prosaic. Well done.

Signore Nuccio:

Would love if you could share your observations on flying in Europe and (of course) Italy, in particular. Challenges, restrictions (for example, airspace, fees, fuel availability and fuel pricing).

Glad to have you here at Pilots of America!

Signore Nuccio:
Would love if you could share your observations on flying in Europe and (of course) Italy, in particular. Challenges, restrictions (for example, airspace, fees, fuel availability and fuel pricing).
Glad to have you here at Pilots of America!

Hi,
GA flying in Italy is somewhat complicated. The territory is covered by many controlled ares , CTR's, and few Golf areas. You can fly with or without a flight plan for the entire route. In the second case when you have to cross a CTR you must open an airborne flight plan (which is called 'abbreviated flight plan'). You call the ATC and give him your destination, number of person on board, endurance, entry and exit point. At the exit they close the airborne flight plan and you are free to contact the Information Service FIS. Not all the CTR's have the radar but also for those who have you are continously interrogated about your estimated times to specific VFR reporting points within and out of the CTR's. This is way different from other european Countries were you are given a transponder code and they follow you without disturbing so much.
About the airports we have some non commecial airports (called 'minor airports') were you are free to go (sometime you pay for a minor fee). These airports are not crowded and there is not to much an activity. You can find there AVGAS (cost from 2.5 to 3.00 euros per liter). Then we have a lot of private airfield which usually are strips of grass like the one in the video (RWY lenght 700 meters). There is a lot of activity in these airfields and very friendly people.
Most of the flight activity here in Italy is by the ultralight machines (like mine). We do not need AVGAS but MOGAS, cheaper and easily found. There are two classes of ultralights: the basic and the advanced ones. The first are not allowed to fly inside CTRs, the second (like me) can fly like a regular GA plane. I can file flight plan and contact the ATC benefiting of the radio service.
I have been flying all around Europe with my ultralight and I have to say that flying there is much simpler than in Italy.
You can find in my youtube channel many videos of my flyghts all around Europe.
Thanks for your appreciation and if you want subscribe to my youtube channel so you will be informed when I publish new videos.
Ciao
Nuccio

You can find there AVGAS (cost from 2.5 to 3.00 euros per liter).

Translation: $3-$3.50 per liter. $11-$13 a gallon. Yah... We got it pretty good here.

Not all the CTR's have the radar but also for those who have you are continously interrogated about your estimated times to specific VFR reporting points within and out of the CTR's. This is way different from other european Countries were you are given a transponder code and they follow you without disturbing so much.

Sounds a lot like Russia. I haven’t flown GA there, but watched a few videos and have a few friends who fly there. I those videos they were constantly making position reports and ETA for the next waypoint, crazy. Plus local specifics like QFE altimeter settings and altitudes in meters.

You can get a flavour of European flying from my writeups http://peter2000.co.uk/aviation/
It's not as straightforward as in the US for sure, but it works well if you "pick your battles" and avoid the difficult (or expensive) situations, or if you fly within the "grass strip" community which remains largely free of silly rules.

Nuccio's videos are great :)

Russia is a completely different game, from what I have read. You need "contacts" just to be able to do it on a regular basis.

Awesome video. If you're ever looking for a destination my maternal great-grandparents are from Craco

Thanks!
That's a destination I am targeting.
Unfortunately last August there were some vandalic acts and the police closed the access to the old town.
They do not know yet when it will be open

Back