Flying through Lake Michigan R-6903?

Andy who?

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Andy Who?
Planning on flying to Oshkosh for the first time this year. I plan on flying over Saturday to beat the crowds and leaving Tuesday night. Coming from the Michigan side my course would put me right through the restricted airspace and Minnow MOA. Does anyone have experience with those areas during Oshkosh? It's not a big deal if I have to go around to the south but I still thought I would ask the question for planning purposes.

Thanks

Planning on flying to Oshkosh for the first time this year. I plan on flying over Saturday to beat the crowds and leaving Tuesday night. Coming from the Michigan side my course would put me right through the restricted airspace and Minnow MOA. Does anyone have experience with those areas during Oshkosh? It's not a big deal if I have to go around to the south but I still thought I would ask the question for planning purposes.

Thanks
There's a phone number for the R and MOA areas. Call it and ask for active times, options for going thru the R, etc.

I fly over the lake every year. Those areas are inactive during AirVenture, but I always check with FSS just to be sure.

Since you're asking about the MOA and restricted area - you should be using the Lake Crossing Service (just in case).

By all means check, but that restricted area should be cold just before and during Airventure.

R-6903 was established to contain air-to-air gunnery. It was used regularly by B-52s when those fine aircraft had guns, but those guns were removed about twenty years ago. Even then it was never hot during the EAA convention.

Thanks
Where are you coming from? From your description (going south would be out of the way) I think your route wouldn't be appreciatively longer if you went up to Ludington and crossed to Manitowoc you probably wouldn't be adding more than 10-15 nm while reducing your distance over water to the minimum in that area. This also happens to avoid the SUA but that's not the reason I'd do it.

Thanks

Note that two mass arrivals that usually come in on Sunday are coming in on Saturday this year.

100 Beech Bonanzas are arriving at 1300, and 48 Cessnas are arriving at 1430.

As far as the other mass arrivals, 30 Cherokees are arriving on Friday at 1300, and 40 Mooneys are arriving on Sunday at 1100.

Thanks for the replies. I'm flying from Pontiac. "PTK". I'll look into the lake crossing service. I've found info about the mass arrivals and plan to be there before them. I figure getting there early would be a good idea for my first time flying in. 2 hour flight sounds way better then the 9 hour drive. I'm not sure how exciting Saturday May be but I'm sure it will be fun. Just to head off the post..... I have read the notam and will have it down cold and in the plane with me.

Since you're asking about the MOA and restricted area - you should be using the Lake Crossing Service (just in case).

what is the lake crossing service? I've never heard of it.

what is the lake crossing service? I've never heard of it.

You're from Michigan? Odd...

Lake Reporting Service is available from FSS for VFR pilots crossing lakes Michigan and Erie.
Pilots check in periodically while crossing. Failure to check in initiates SAR procedures.

This is covered in the AIM.

Note that two mass arrivals that usually come in on Sunday are coming in on Saturday this year.

100 Beech Bonanzas are arriving at 1300, and 48 Cessnas are arriving at 1430.

As far as the other mass arrivals, 30 Cherokees are arriving on Friday at 1300, and 40 Mooneys are arriving on Sunday at 1100.

Thats good info to note for my arrival. Thanks.
Is this published anywhere in one place, or organized independently by the groups.

Also is that CST or UTC time?

R-6903 was established to contain air-to-air gunnery. It was used regularly by B-52s when those fine aircraft had guns, but those guns were removed about twenty years ago. Even then it was never hot during the EAA convention.

Interesting tidbit of history. Interesting they don't 'declassify' special use airspace when the special use no longer exists.

Thats good info to note for my arrival. Thanks.
Is this published anywhere in one place, or organized independently by the groups.

Also is that CST or UTC time?

The times are CDT, and came from an email I received last week sent to Flightline Ops volunteers. I'm starting my a flightline ops work on Saturday with a 12:20 - 4:20 shift.

You're from Michigan? Odd...

Lake Reporting Service is available from FSS for VFR pilots crossing lakes Michigan and Erie.
Pilots check in periodically while crossing. Failure to check in initiates SAR procedures.

This is covered in the AIM.

Weird...I've never heard of it! I'll have to look it up.

Weird...I've never heard of it! I'll have to look it up.

Same here so I looked it up out of curiosity but not sure if I ever would use it. I have always gotten Flight following VFR with a squak or Filed IFR and was in constant contact with approach or center when crossing. But I have only crossed a dozen times or so. :dunno:

Funny thing,, while on VFR FF I would periodically get updates with ALT setting or checking in. The few times Minneapolis lost radio contact I would get a relay from another plane requesting I switch to another remote freq so they could update me. Maybe they were checking in as they would If I filed using the "Hazardous Area reporting service. ":dunno:

Just got back from Oshkosh and small heads up. Minneapolis center will not clear IFR flight plan into 6903 even when it's not active. They amended my filed route to direct NEROE YULNU Then south east to michigan.

But I did hear plenty of planes below me on VFR FF going direct through it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got back from Oshkosh and small heads up. Minneapolis center will not clear IFR flight plan into 6903 even when it's not active. They amended my filed route to direct NEROE YULNU Then south east to michigan.

But I did hear plenty of planes below me on VFR FF going direct through it.

Did they say it was to avoid R-6903?

Did they say it was to avoid R-6903?

Probably an assumption on my part but I was at kmtw they had me head north around the MOA and when I cleared the top I requested direct YULNU and Green Bay had me hold while they requested the change with mineapolis. I could have requested direct through the MOA but didn't want to rock the boat....maybe I will confirm it next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Probably an assumption on my part but I was at kmtw they had me head north around the MOA and when I cleared the top I requested direct YULNU and Green Bay had me hold while they requested the change with mineapolis. I could have requested direct through the MOA but didn't want to rock the boat....maybe I will confirm it next time.

Probably to avoid opposite direction traffic over MTW.

Back