Flying this weekend

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well tommorow is looking like it will be interesting. Lift predicted at 3-400 fpm, but 10ish knot winds out of the south, which would be OK if I was headed north. Conditions dont look that great for a downwind run as I would be flying into worse soaring weather, and I really want to make it to Ankeny (IKV) about 15 miles south of Ames for the EAA chapter picnic, so I guess I will duke it out with the wind. I can think right now of 3 landable fields between the two, (two of those are airports), so I really dont need killer altitudes, currently forecast to top out around 4 or 5000 MSL, which wouldnt be ideal for a longer flight this time of year. that corn is just too tall to be flying around that low.

Lots to do between now and then though, gotta finish packing all my stuff, drive to Ames, unpack it all in the morning, get settled in my apartment. At least the glider is assembled, all I have to do is pull down to the runway.

Sunday I am towing, conditions arent forecast to be the greatest but we shall see.

tonycondon said:
that corn is just too tall to be flying around that low.

Beans aren't a good choice this time of year, either. I've sprayed SEVERAL fields of soybeans around here that were nearly chest high to me - and I'm 6'7" tall... Beans are to a point now that they get fairly 'grabby', which could so some major damage if you try to set down in them. So if you have a choice, look for pasture or alfalfa field somewhere. Stay out of the crops till they are gone this fall.

I'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow. Not sure what is on the agenda yet, but my sis-in-law SHOULD have a new baby by then, so maybe that will keep my wife occupied long enough for me to run to the airport for a while. ;-)

-Chris

ok otherwise ill have a radio with me so give a yell. on the glider with no landing gear sticking out to wrap up in the beans, they wouldnt be a bad choice, but it would still be a bear getting the thing out of them. better than corn. I agree on the nice freshly mowed hay or alfalfa.

when you want to start IR?

Back