Flying the Matterhorn.... in a rental?

James Looker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jmlooker
So I'm trying to explain to a friend why getting a pilot's license will lead to fun experiences. Basically, I'm 50% there by explaining that renting a plane locally is cheap and easy and Denver has great vistas that won't get boring.

I'm a little unclear what it takes to rent a plane in Europe with an American pilot's license though. I just want to make a pitch about how there are beautiful mountains in Europe that don't need to be climbed to be appreciated.

Before I jump into a European adventure plan, can I rent a plane in Northern Italy/Switzerland with an American PPL and fly it around the Matterhorn and if so, how close could I fly to it?

Welcome to poa.

I can't answer your questions other than to say when in unfamiliar locations, the cost of a local guide (cfi) may be well worth the price. The rental location may require it regardless.

I'm a little unclear what it takes to rent a plane in Europe with an American pilot's license though. I just want to make a pitch about how there are beautiful mountains in Europe that don't need to be climbed to be appreciated.

The country of your Pilot's License (or Certificate), needs to match the country of registration for the aircraft registration (tailnumber). That is a general ICAO rule.

I did get a US license by reciprocity on my Cdn certificate, that was just paperwork and one visit to a FSDO -- easy to do. That would let me rent a US tailed aircraft, for example in Hawaii or something.

But knowing what the EU is like, it would be my guess that there isn't a easy way to do the equivalent.

Bottom line, as already mentioned upthread, with a US license, you can't fly a European registered aircraft. Of course, some places could be renting out aircraft with US tails.

* Orest

Back