Flying the F24 - R

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Here are a couple videos of a Ranger powered 24 taking off and landing

http://www.fairchild24.com/movies.htm

Rememnber that the Ranger powered 24 allows you to see the runway before you land, the Warner powered ones you can't see forward.

drop down a bit on the page and run the "engine start " wav file.

Classic Ranger

Last edited:
Ghery said:
Getting anxious to get yours together and flying?

YEAH, Kinda. I have one more outstanding job to finish before I can get back to it full time. I have to deliver and install a C-145 to Shelton Sanderson Field and get it running. I have had the engine since last fall.

I should get that done next weekend, Then the F-24 gets full attention until it flys.

Here is the C-145 I just finished.
Skytec starter mod
Slick Mag up grade
Rebuilt generater
Rebuilt Carb
All new baffeling
Total overhaul to new standard.
and Zero time since major.
pocket change under 12 K

Last edited:
NC19143 said:

Here is the C-145 I just finished......

In your garage, no less. You are truly amazing. :)

Carol said:
In your garage, no less. You are truly amazing. :)

Only because Barb won't let me bring it into the living room.

Doesn't it just feel good to do something, and do it right? One just wonders what adventures await that 145 and its owner.

But especially, the Fairchild.

SCCutler said:
Doesn't it just feel good to do something, and do it right? One just wonders what adventures await that 145 and its owner.

But especially, the Fairchild.

This C-145 is going in a friends 1949 C-170-A, his dad bought the 170 in 1954 and it has been in the family ever since. His Dad overhauled the engine in 1960, and it flew fine until last year when it started to leak oil. We had a very difficult time finding the leak, it was a tiny hole in the oil sump corroded thru from the inside out.

To replace the sump the engine must be removed, SO-- he desided to have the engine overhauled again. 2669 TT 1200 SMOH, and 45 years.

Can you see the cause of the corrosion?

NC19143 said:
To replace the sump the engine must be removed, SO-- he desided to have the engine overhauled again. 2669 TT 1200 SMOH, and 45 years.

Can you see the cause of the corrosion?

Uh, 1200 hours in 45 years? Not much use there.

I look at the pictures of your work Tom and think, there ought to be a job at the Smithsonian for you when you retire. Museum quality, that's what your work is. Nothing less. Of course, the advantage of your craftsmanship is that it flies, rather than sits indoors.

Back