FLYING THE BEECH BONANZA, Eckalbar

j1b3h0

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
Very interesting read, not only for Bonanza pilots. John Eckalbar guides the reader through some interesting aerodynamics: Did you know a V35 has an overall skin friction coefficient that falls between a P-38 and a Lear 25? Me neither. He goes on to discuss stability...and how it relates to V-tails, fuel enonomy in good detail, for instance, how high to climb for different distances, methods for high winds at cruise, and how to really figure max endurance. I've always though Bonanzas were easy to fly. But Eckalbar shines a light on what it means to be a smart, well learned Bo' pilot. Much can be gleened about the safe piloting of any high performance piston single - or twin, for that matter. Very cerebral. I enjoyed it.

Very interesting read, not only for Bonanza pilots. John Eckalbar guides the reader through some interesting aerodynamics: Did you know a V35 has an overall skin friction coefficient that falls between a P-38 and a Lear 25? Me neither. He goes on to discuss stability...and how it relates to V-tails, fuel enonomy in good detail, for instance, how high to climb for different distances, methods for high winds at cruise, and how to really figure max endurance. I've always though Bonanzas were easy to fly. But Eckalbar shines a light on what it means to be a smart, well learned Bo' pilot. Much can be gleened about the safe piloting of any high performance piston single - or twin, for that matter. Very cerebral. I enjoyed it.

Just got this book last week from eBay, reading it now.

Good book. I found it on a bargain book table. $3 IIRC. Posted something from it on the board and was told that the info was worth what I paid for it.

Good book. I found it on a bargain book table. $3 IIRC. Posted something from it on the board and was told that the info was worth what I paid for it.

I wouldn't waste my time reading a book like this if I thought the value of the info gained would only equal my purchase price and I paid considerably more than $3. That almost sounds like "damning with faint praise".

I got to fly with John at the first BPPP event I attended shortly after I bought a Bonanza over 25 years ago. Since then I've obtained a copy of every book he's written and re-read them now and then. There's lot's of good stuff and much of it is not Bonanza/Baron specific. One thing I really like is that he approaches everything from an engineering like perspective, i.e. he tries to explain the reasons/physics/aerodynamics behind the advice. It's clear that most of his information is based on his own analysis rather than third hand knowledge and old wives tales.

Last edited:
I fly an A36 - read it and refer to it often.

As you say, this book is not only valuable to Bonanza pilots, most of it applies across the board. Bonanzas are easy to fly, but that's comparative to others. No plane is easy to fly well mentally, the Bo makes it easy physically.

I spent the better part of a hundred grand for my copy of the book- but the seller threw in an airplane with it! :D

Back