Flying Saucer - I WANT ONE!

I'd like to see that fly as well. The vanes on the side... I picture them working sort of like a vortex generator. Then the "flaps" on the bottom edge, extend out pushing air or thrust in a single direction. A neat contraption!

The link to a video of RC models of this device is on the linked page.

http://gfsprojects.co.uk/

There ya go! It takes a minute for the vid window to open up, but it'll show a tv news item on it.

It amazing that those vortex-generator-like fins must provide enough counter force to counter the reactive force to the rotation of the top rotor. It doesn't have a tail rotor or a vectored thrust that I can see. No tail rotor choppers have vectored thrust in the tail boom.

It amazing that those vortex-generator-like fins must provide enough counter force to counter the reactive force to the rotation of the top rotor. It doesn't have a tail rotor or a vectored thrust that I can see. No tail rotor choppers have vectored thrust in the tail boom.

True, but they get a big part of their anti-torque force from the Coanda effect. The beauty of that is the force generated is proportional to the downward thrust of the main rotor and that's almost exactly what's needed.

I noticed that the model in the vid appears to be powered by an electric cord. Apparently it's not capable of lifting it's own power source.

Back