Flying pax

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Got my AOPA Pilot yesterday. (When does the POA Pilot come out?) I read the story about the author not flying pax very often due to his concerns for potential liability. It wasn't clear to me if that concern is limited to his Yak or to all planes he may fly. It was a fine read and I'm very glad he gave the stranger a ride--for both their sake.

The crux is, would you hestitate? Forget the fact the pax was a stranger to the pilot. Maybe it's related to deep pockets.

Just about every flight involves a passenger with me, often a new one each time. I use the local flights (time building, just want to get in the air) as an opportunity to introduce someone to GA. I use x-c flights as an opportunity to show someone who has been up with me before exactly what we can do in a day via air vs in a car.

I've got insurance, of course, but more than that, I have confidence in my rentals with my FBO, I have confidence in my skills and judgement (cancelling doesn't bother me in the least and passengers appreciate the reasons), and I never, ever push the envelope when flying with a passenger. No stalls, no slow flight, no "let's see if we can find a hole", just straight and level, completely uneventful flying.

Richard said:
The crux is, would you hestitate? Forget the fact the pax was a stranger to the pilot. Maybe it's related to deep pockets.

I throw caution to the wind and take up anyone who is keen on light aircraft. WTH, I say - it was worth it to introduce people to the wonder of aviation. Besides; my pockets are as shallow as they get!

Upon reflection, I'm not sure I would offer a stranger a ride. That said, I HAVE done it, when I was younger and not quite as reserved an individual as I am today.

In a nutshell, I guess that if it feels right, then I might do it again. However, the circumstances would have to be right. I must say this though: if it were to happen, it would be straight and level only; no stalls or other thrilling maneuvers. The most exciting thing would be the landing.

Jim

I can still count the passengers on one hand [CFIs not included]. They've all been people I know or some aquaintance with. As far as liability goes, you can't get blood out of a stone. Except for the plane and an assortment of cars, there isn't much left. Besides, insurance covers a lot.

Thus far my only passengers have been family members, but I'm offering rides to everyone I know, and some people I don't. I refuse to let my life be run by lawyers and fear.

I've flown lots and lots of people, some I've known, some I haven't. Around 300 Young Eagles (kids). Bunches of AirLifeLine and Angel Flight passengers. Reporters. Anyone who wants to go. Don't think I've flown any lawyers yet though... :)

Oh, weirdest thing - at my daughter's Young Eagles birthday party, one of the (obnoxiously) dads apparently took some lessons or something and had to show off his knowledge. Very annoying guy. But the weird thing is that before I took his daughter flying he didn't ask me about my experience - he asked me how much insurance I had!! WTH??

BillG said:
But the weird thing is that before I took his daughter flying he didn't ask me about my experience - he asked me how much insurance I had!! WTH??

In my business, I had a guy come in and instead of the usual asking about services available and price, logistics -- the only thing he asked was the limits of my liability. I said one word to him; "Goodbye.".

Let'sgoflying! said:
In my business, I had a guy come in and instead of the usual asking about services available and price, logistics -- the only thing he asked was the limits of my liability. I said one word to him; "Goodbye.".
I fly lots and lots of folks... Young Eagles, friends, and strangers. I don't ask for a liability waiver to be signed and agree with Joe that the lawyers aren't going to run my life. That said, if someone asks to know about my liability insurance, they're not going anywhere with me.

gibbons said:
... if someone asks to know about my liability insurance, they're not going anywhere with me.
Amen. If you're more interested in a dollar figure than the experience, find a different pilot. I want someone interested in seeing what it's like, good or bad.

I was too flabbergasted (and busy with the party) to know what to do with that. His daughter loved the flight (actually I think she went up with my buddy who was helping me out, not me). In all the Young Eagles rallies I've done I don't think I ever had anyone ask me about insurance before... Angel Flight has some pretty strong language they ask passengers to sign, but other than that I don't worry about it.

Back