Flying over Houston Downtown?

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
While taking a quick lap around Discovery Green during lunch hour this afternoon, we saw a single engine high wing plane circling over George R Brown / Discovery Green, then over Toyota Center, and some other buildings in that general area. Looking at the TAC, it looks like at least some of the flight track was within the Surface to 10K Bravo Airspace for Hobby Airport. Just got me wondering - is it possible to get permission from ATC to overfly this area for sightseeing? Secondly, he was very low - from our vantage point standing at ground level, it seemed like the plane was no more than a couple hundred feet above the buildings over what I would consider a 'congested' area if I was flying over.

Anybody else in downtown Houston notice this plane today? I figured someone was doing some aerial photography or something; but it was pretty funny to see my coworkers' reactions. We routinely see banner tow planes go by but they are generally higher and follow a different flight path.

Flying over the city can happen with correct arrangement from ATC. The downtown Dallas tour can happen by first coordinating with Regional Approach and then under the guidance of KDAL tower.

Flying over the city can happen with correct arrangement from ATC. The downtown Dallas tour can happen by first coordinating with Regional Approach and then under the guidance of KDAL tower.

Flying over downtown Houston is no big deal for Houston Approach. Ya wanna be a little careful doing it with an eye to the weather because your "outs" are are limited.

As for altitude, I've never been VFR over downtown Houston so can't comment. I was offered the downtown route once VFR but with storms popping up all over I declined. Be real careful around Houston if it's unstable, that's all I can say.

Last edited:
Probably doing photography or surveillance. Usually takes coordination with the right control agency. Some places are a LOT easier than others.

Probably the FBI... Actually, they fly higher than that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got me wondering - is it possible to get permission from ATC to overfly this area for sightseeing? .

Absolutely. It's a non-event. My "air tour" that I gave to many non-flyers riding with me consisted of departing Houston Gulf (and then Clover/Pearland after SPX closed)... headed west to 288... north along the 288 corridor and flight follow with Houston approach.. Over Astroworld (when it existed) then the med center.. then to downtown and made an orbit of the downtown area... before heading to BBQ at Weiser airpark. Houston approach handles you in the relevant areas inside the Class B surface area near downtown.

Caveats: make sure the stadium TFR's aren't relevant.. Baseball is over for us, but Football isn't. I'm not current so I haven't read up lately if the Soccer stadium meets criteria or not.

I saw the plane at lunch time (just after noon). When I saw it, south of downtown, it didn't seem that low.

When I've done the loop, I stayed with Approach and wasn't handed off to Hobby. Just told them what I wanted to do, including my exit plan, and got "approved as requested, contact me eastbound."

Absolutely. It's a non-event. My "air tour" that I gave to many non-flyers riding with me consisted of departing Houston Gulf (and then Clover/Pearland after SPX closed)... headed west to 288... north along the 288 corridor and flight follow with Houston approach.. Over Astroworld (when it existed) then the med center.. then to downtown and made an orbit of the downtown area... before heading to BBQ at Weiser airpark. Houston approach handles you in the relevant areas inside the Class B surface area near downtown.

Caveats: make sure the stadium TFR's aren't relevant.. Baseball is over for us, but Football isn't. I'm not current so I haven't read up lately if the Soccer stadium meets criteria or not.

Good to know. What altitude were you flying at?

Typically 1500-1800... Not a lot of landing options around there, so I maximize altitude to give me time...

While taking a quick lap around Discovery Green during lunch hour this afternoon, we saw a single engine high wing plane circling over George R Brown / Discovery Green, then over Toyota Center, and some other buildings in that general area. Looking at the TAC, it looks like at least some of the flight track was within the Surface to 10K Bravo Airspace for Hobby Airport. Just got me wondering - is it possible to get permission from ATC to overfly this area for sightseeing? Secondly, he was very low - from our vantage point standing at ground level, it seemed like the plane was no more than a couple hundred feet above the buildings over what I would consider a 'congested' area if I was flying over.

Anybody else in downtown Houston notice this plane today? I figured someone was doing some aerial photography or something; but it was pretty funny to see my coworkers' reactions. We routinely see banner tow planes go by but they are generally higher and follow a different flight path.

I work downtown. I often see this plane doing laps. If you're the pilot then remember that 2000' laterally is about 6 city blocks and the tallest building is over 1000'.

Back