Flying Over Hometown

nickporter15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
So I am a newly licensed 17 year old pilot, and I'd like to take a flight over my house. The only concern I have is my hometown is directly below the second ring over bravo airspace beginning at 3000'. I have never flown in bravo, but I do understand how to get clearance and what not but I was just looking for some advice on how to tell the controllers my intentions, because I would rather not try and stay below the bravo. Should I just say I wanna fly over my house, and try to explain where exactly it is as best as I can?

If it begins at 3000 why not just fly beneath it?

"Standard stuff", tell em who u r, where u r, whatchoo wanna do, request flight following, be prepared for them to turn u down if they r busy, ie have a plan B but if they clear u in just pay attention and have fun!

Just tell them your standard stuff and tell them what you want to do, for example " skyhawk 123ab where you are request entry into class bravo airspace, like to maneuver over a local landmark (or house) for sightseeing" or something along those lines should get you where you need to be and respond as necessary. And you may need to explain where it is you want to go. Good luck!

Get bravo clearance,ask to deviate to take pictures. Give them distance and direction ,you want to circle.

No need to enter Bravo just to fly over your house if the shelf is high enough. But FF is a good idea if the sky is busy.
As already suggested, the 4 W's will help. Go with your CFI once to shake off any nerves, it helps.
Also "aerial photography" or "sightseeing" with "circling" will help the controller understand your intentions. Don't try to explain to him where you live, which street, which lamp post, chances are he has no clue. Give him a general area: "5 west of Foo VOR".

I'd suggest flying in Class B with no particular purpose (except maybe to get to the other side) first, just to see how it's done.

Then, ask for what you want using plain English. If your house happens to be close to a charted intersection or visual landmark, use it. Otherwise, use distance/direction such as "sightseeing and maneuvering 5 west of Big City Airport." It's a good idea to let the controller know you're aware of extended runway centerlines, but it's not rigorously required. I like to say "will remain south of XXX airport" (presuming the runway in use is westerly, as most of them are around here).

If you are going to do anything unrelated to flying, such as taking photos, have the right seater do it. As a new pilot, you are much more prone to distraction, and it really sucks to lose airspeed at low altitude 'cause you're focusing on something on the ground. If you want a good hard look at your house, hand the controls to another pilot in the right seat while you do it.

Flight following is almost always a good idea underneath a B shelf.

Remember, someone must always be looking for traffic, and this is especially important underneath Class B, where there is often a lot of traffic.

Last edited:
Thanks. And about flying below the shelf, I just checked again and the shelf extends sfc to 8000' so I would obviously need clearance.

Well I'd have to fly through the sfc shelf to get there unless I flew completely around the Bravo which would take a while

Well I'd have to fly through the sfc shelf to get there unless I flew completely around the Bravo which would take a while

Like everyone said, tell them who you are, where you area and what you wish to do. Be prepared for them to say "no". I doubt they want a little airplane with a newbie pilot circling around their approach corridor.

I don't think I've ever flown over the Steinholme lower than the ceiling of the local class Charlie airspace, if at all. I can see it on the internet if I'm so inclined, I've much better things to do in the aircraft.

Should I just say I wanna fly over my house, and try to explain where exactly it is as best as I can?
Yes -- they are human, they understand English, and just talking with them as you would any other person generally works well. As long as they're not slammed with other traffic, they'll do their best to work with you as long as you're concise and polite in your communications.

Back