Flying over downtown Jacksonville Florida?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by DMD3., Sep 25, 2017.

1. DMD3.

DMD3. Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    DMD3.
    In the near future, I'm hoping to take someone on a flight over downtown Jacksonville Fl. Jax is in plentiful supply of Class Delta airspace (KNEN, KVQQ, KNIP, KCRG) not to mention the Class Charlie airspace from KJAX. There's also an MOA just north of Jacksonville Beach.

My plan is to depart from 01J (located 16 nm northwest of KJAX), climb to 3,000 ft, fly south until I'm right over Whitehouse to avoid the Class C, then proceed east and just fly over all the Class D until we're right above the skyscrapers, then turn around and head back the way we came.

Even though I would not legally be required to maintain radio contact with ATC, should I request flight following or would this just be more of a burden to them? With the high volume of traffic, having flight following or lack thereof may not make a difference in preventing a collision.

Do you think that this would be a disaster waiting to happen? Has anyone else flown over this area to sightsee (not just taking off or landing at an airport in the area)?

2. mtuomi

mtuomi En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
  3. wrbix

wrbix Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    It is a generally held, and feared, misconception that Flight Following is a "bother" to ATC.

4. DMD3.

Display Name:

Display name:
    DMD3.
    mtoumi yes.

5. Cooter

Cooter Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    I've done a good bit of VFR flying over Jacksonville. I would get FF and let them know your intentions. Be careful around Whitehouse. The Navy uses it for Field Carrier Landing Practice.

Velocity173 likes this.
  6. mtuomi

mtuomi En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    That was VFR flight following on a cross country flight, absolutely zero problems. I just said I'll fly over KJAX then the city, they said go right ahead.

7. DMD3.

Display Name:

Display name:
    DMD3.
    Will do. Again I plan on being at 3000 ft well before reaching their airspace. I don't see any restricted airspace on the map, so it shouldn't be a problem.

8. Mistake Not...

Mistake Not... Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mistake Not...
    To be fair, I've had the occasional grouchy controller that didn't do anything to dispel the idea. But 97.325% of the time they've been awesome about it.

9. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Drove out to Cecil many times in the late 80s early 90s. S-3s, F-18s, A-7s, A-4s. That place was hoppin' back then.

10. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    Without a doubt ATC would much rather be talking with you and know your intentions as opposed to them having to guess what you may be doing next with all the other traffic zipping around. They will tell you of they are too busy but that is unlikely.

The best part about FF, is all your C and D walls disappear if you communicate what you are doing and they can advise you of the MOA is Hot.