Flying out of Robbinsville tomorrow (N87)

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
I know N87 has a keyhole to avoid the Trump TFR. I was planning on filing IFR, and the usual initial point is the Robbinsville VOR, also technically outside the TFR. But, from n87 to the VOR puts you briefly through the TFR.

If I file should I....
1. File normally since IFR it is permitted. Even though I technically enter controlled space at the VOR. I may be briefly uncontrolled in TFR.
2. Enter an alternate waypoint as first point clear of TFR. Would not be s standard departure point.
3. Go south and pick up IFR airborne.
4. Screw ot and get flight following later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
File IFR and let ATC give you the route

Doc, don't worry, we'll send you a cake with a file in it when you're in the Super Max!

Why is there a problem if youre filing? Just file and if you want to go VFR, cancel when you’re clear of the TFR. What frfly172 said.

We VFR pilots that deal with this very TFR call ATC, file a flight plan, get a squawk code and talk to ATC when we are ready to take-off. We do not activate the flight plan. Also, the general rule of thumb for some of us is to avoid TFRs unless we can not. Don't forget to do the same when returning.

They gave me a normal flight plan, just quickly factored me to more or less keep me out of the tfr.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back