Flying out of PHNL

numl0ck

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
I have arranged to fly with an instructor for 2 hours this Sunday out of Honolulu International. I'm flying a 172R, vs the 172N I normally fly back home. What I want to do is maximize my time and get to see some of the island from the air rather than work on instruction. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm afraid we'll fly off to the practice area (wherever that is) and just do some turns on a point or S-turns. Is it offensive to the instructor to tell him I want to fly *and* sightsee? This will be my first exposure to airspace over class Delta, so that will be very interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isn't Honolulu Class Bravo? Your instructor is quite accustomed to getting that request and will be able to accommodate you.

Here is our report on our one trip to Hawaii. Read the 14 Dec entry about our checkout, which was the sort of flight you are not wanting, but tells you a lot about flying there.
http://auntpeggy.com/Hawaii06/

I have arranged to fly with an instructor for 2 hours this Sunday out of Honolulu International. I'm flying a 172R, vs the 172N I normally fly back home. What I want to do is maximize my time and get to see some of the island from the air rather than work on instruction. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm afraid we'll fly off to the practice area (wherever that is) and just do some turns on a point or S-turns. Is it offensive to the instructor to tell him I want to fly *and* sightsee? This will be my first exposure to airspace over class Delta, so that will be very interesting.

No worries. They are very accustomed to this. Request a tour of some kind. CFI will let you fly; let him make the radio calls, and point out the sights!

I should add that I am a regular visitor to Hawaii and have flown there a number of times.

Thanks for the tips!

Peggy, that sounds Iike quite the checkout ride. I will be sure to tighten my seatbelt. :)

Just tell him what you want to do-you're paying him after all. If he's anything like me, I'm sure he'll appreciate just burning holes in the sky instead of actaully working for a change.

Steve, instead of going to one of the practice areas, just ask him if he can fly you around the island. Especially the windward side and north shore. You might be to late to see the whales, but you can usually find a pod of dolphins or something cool on the north shore. It's about an hour and a half to two hour flight.

If you want to do maneuvers just depart PHNL to the east, fly around the islands east side, fly the north shore until Haleiwa then head south through PHHI to the South Practice Area for maneuvers. Then you lined up for the approach back into PHNL.

If you have enough time, do a XC to the north shore of Molokai. Those cliffs are some of the most beautiful of nature I've ever seen.

Are you going with Moore, Anderson, or another? I'm pretty sure George only has 172SP's, but he's pretty cheap.

Guess I should have posted a follow up. :)

I flew a 172R out of Moore with Beniot as the instructor. He offered either to circle the island or fly to Molokai. I decided for my first trip to fly around the island but when I come back in Sept I will consider doing the trip to Molokai/Lanai.

We took off from 4L and headed east to start the counterclockwise circle of the island. It was pretty bumpy on climb out, and while heading east but I was having so much fun flying and looking around that I really didn't notice. Once we turned northwest and paralleled the windward side, it smoothed out nicely. Scenery was beautiful. Then rounded the corner and headed southwest. Saw some glider activity on the cliffs near Dillingham Airfield. After turning that corner we were back on the lee-shore so the bumps picked up again.

We did a full-stop landing at Kalaeloa (PHJR/JRF). Then from there back to HNL.

It was an absolute blast. Total hobbs was 1.3. Very much worth the money, although I'm glad I'm not getting my PPL out here. Benoit was a pleasure to fly with, and I will try to fly with him again in Sept.

I took a ton of photos, but they need a bit of tweaking that I can't do on the iPad. I'll post those later. This is one of my favorites:

c6e4d810-3f45-a863.jpg

Arizona Memorial.

More to follow. I depart today and will be back home tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks for all the info. :)

I was lucky enough to get two tours in the Islands. While Oahu is nice, going down island is the best. Lahaina Roads with Molokai. Lanai, Maui and Kahoolawe is a great sight, especially early in the morning. I never got tired of flying there.

Back