flying other countries?

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks,
I know USA has the best aviation-friendly environment bar none. :)
I wonder however, if i were to travel other countries; how difficult is it to rent/borrow a C172/Piper/etc. and fly?

Rented Cessna 172s in Greece and New Zealand. Amazing experiences. Brought a CFI in both cases.

Simply put, difficult. Other countries don’t have nearly the selection of aircraft we have here. They have high fees, high maint and high fuel costs. Also, I believe if it’s a host country registered aircraft, you have to get a license in that country. Outside of military aero clubs, they probably are going to be host country registered. Some have language restrictions as well. Even though English is the official aviation language, they may require being fluent in their language. I remember checking on sailplane rentals in Germany, they required passing a German language test.

Simply put, difficult. Other countries don’t have nearly the selection of aircraft we have here. They have high fees, high maint and high fuel costs. Also, I believe if it’s a host country registered aircraft, you have to get a license in that country. Outside of military aero clubs, they probably are going to be host country registered. Some have language restrictions as well. Even though English is the official aviation language, they may require being fluent in their language. I remember checking on sailplane rentals in Germany, they required passing a German language test.

You'd be surprised. There are quite a few N Registered aircraft for rent in various places in Europe, for example. Also, if you aren't crossing borders, you may be able to get away with renting a home country registered aircraft using the 2 of 3 rule, but you likely won't be able to fly IFR, etc.

Back