Flying on Southwest

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
So despite having traveled on the airlines usually once or twice a year for many years, I've never had the opportunity to fly on Southwest until now, for an upcoming trip to Tucson.

And yes, I'd rather take the 182...but for various reasons, that's not gonna happen, so I'm stuck in the back of a 737.

Having watched that reality show which focused on SW on NatGeo or whatever a few years ago, , I got the distinct impression many of their passengers would, uhhhmm...feel right at home in the local trailer park. Obviously it was edited for TV, but I have never seen people behave like that on any flight on a legacy airline...although I suppose it happens!

Anyhow...their open seating thing is a little worrisome to someone who likes order and abhors chaos. I'm one of those people who picks out my favorite seat on the airline website 1.6 seconds after buying my ticket. Do the window or aisle positions tend to fill first when people are left to their own choices? And what's the best strategy to avoid a middle seat? I mean, who in their right mind, except maybe the age 3 and under crowd, actually wants a middle seat on a 737?

The "early bird check-in" seems like a reasonable idea at $10 each way. But in the fine print, it says that doesn't guarantee you the "A" boarding group. Well then, what does? All it seems to get you is a preassigned boarding position not related to your check-in time. Obviously, never having flown them before, I have no frequent flyer...err, rapid reward status with them. So what's the trick to get in the A boarding group? Charm? Good cologne? Flashing my pilot certificate? :D Because if I end up in the C group, I'll probably just start walking south.

So...

I don't think the demographics of the flyers on Southwest are that much different than any other airlines. Lots of business folk fly Southwest these days because of their "no-fees" policies, including no change fee. Crews are good. And I've seen a lot of (how did you say it?) "trailer park" types on other airlines.

The open seating arrangement & boarding process are a LOT better than they used to be (old days you got a card at the boarding gate - first to the airport wins).

The "early bird" check-in is well worth it. No, you're not assured of an A group boarding pass, but it's pretty likely you will get A. Higher priority goes to those that pay higher fares ("business select") or fly so much they're in the "A List" status group. So it's most likely that you'll get A group or one of the first in B group. It's worth $10 to me unless I know the plane is empty.

I actually prefer being in the last part of B group or the first part of C group.

Best shot at getting a seat by a hot chick.

SWA has improved greatly in it's seating cattle-call. You get an A, B, or C ticket with a number from 1 - whatever. Then you get to choose your seat in that order, As first, then Bs, then Cs.

The trick to getting in the A group is to check in on-line 24hrs in advance of the flight. And it HAS to be 24 hrs in advance, not 24:01. And if you wait until 23:59, you'll get a B. A lot of their As are saved for frequent fliers.

--

I still remember flying on the old SWA - wait in line to get a number, then wait in line to board, then get stuck in one of the rear-facing seats they used to have.

SWA has improved greatly in it's seating cattle-call. You get an A, B, or C ticket with a number from 1 - whatever. Then you get to choose your seat in that order, As first, then Bs, then Cs.

The trick to getting in the A group is to check in on-line 24hrs in advance of the flight. And it HAS to be 24 hrs in advance, not 24:01. And if you wait until 23:59, you'll get a B. A lot of their As are saved for frequent fliers.

The "Early Bird" check-in beats out the 24 hour in advance folks.

That's why I say it's worth $10 to me to not have to sit at the computer exactly 24 hours out.

It doesn't matter if you get a B, especially if you are alone. I've always been able to find an acceptable seat and I generally choose the window. I try to check in 24 hrs before but sometime I forget. I've gotten a high B but never a C. Actually I like the open seating better than choosing a seat now that I have done it many times.

I prefer SWA for domestic travel. The culture is great, and it shows in the flight experience.

SWA is exactly what it claims to be - it's the aerial equivalent of Greyhound, but back when Greyhound was a good way to travel.

I actually prefer being in the last part of B group or the first part of C group.

Best shot at getting a seat by a hot chick.

Last time I flew Southwest I tried that strategy and it almost worked but some fat guy right in front of me got my hot chick seat! :(

Another vote for early bird checkin. I have never gotten anything higher than A-36 doing that and usually I am able to grab the window seat of the exit row. For some reason the exit rows don't fill as fast as you think they would....

--

I still remember flying on the old SWA - wait in line to get a number, then wait in line to board, then get stuck in one of the rear-facing seats they used to have.
I checked in about 22 hours prior for my flight last Tuesday and got an "A" boarding pass.

Unless you have the money or the miles for first class, SWA is the best flying experience in the airlines. Seats have more room than other coach and folks have a good attitude. No forfeiture if change in plans, either.

I prefer SWA for domestic travel. The culture is great, and it shows in the flight experience.

Concur with this. And Spike is sooo right about the extra knee room. That 1.5 - 2 inches makes a nice difference!

Visiting family for Christmas, I took SWA from DAL to SAT. Paid the $10 "Group A" charge and checked in early enough to be in the first 15 or 20 in line.

As said, the cattle call proceeds very well because nearly everyone understands the system and complies. I think it works much better than AA's Group 1 through 5 boarding that seems to never work very well.

In both flights, it was fairly full and all were on board and settled much faster than AA.

I do appreciate the flight crews desire to maintain a good sense of humor. One of the up front FA's was wearing some small Christmas ornaments as flair and jewelry. She got all of us up front laughing hard when we hear something hit the floor and her tell the other FA, while changing her voice from squeeky to a low male sound, "Oh now! I've dropped balls!"

Plus the variations of the safety briefing are always worth listening too.

And BrianR..... don't forget to grab the filed IFR route off of flight aware and plug that into your FF or WingX on your iPad.

If you get a window seat, you likely will get GPS signal and can follow your flight on the sectional or IFR charts.

And BrianR..... don't forget to grab the filed IFR route off of flight aware and plug that into your FF or WingX on your iPad.

If you get a window seat, you likely will get GPS signal and can follow your flight on the sectional or IFR charts.

I've tried that on the Airbusses (Airbi?) and never can get a signal on the iPad or iPhone, but I'll give it a shot. And good idea about sticking the route in from Flight Aware!

And yeah, all I could think of was the boarding process on AA, which never seemed to me to work all that great. Good to hear lots of folks have had good experiences on SWA!

Interesting topic, as the wife and I avoid SWA at all costs. We have two small children, 2 years old and 5 months and hate their cattle call. Also, the seating sucks for me. I'm 6'1", 215lbs with wide shoulders and a 34" waste and I always get stuck next to bigger people.. Our shoulders touch and I've never had a comfortable flight with them. Now are preferred airlines are United or Delta. But if I were a single guy or married with no kids, it might be different. But to the OP, take the 182!

I like Southwest and Alaska. I flew both this past week and both seemed happy to accomodate me (at no charge) when I needed to change flights.

Interesting topic, as the wife and I avoid SWA at all costs. We have two small children, 2 years old and 5 months and hate their cattle call
That right there is why I avoid flying Southwest these days. Up until Herb left, SWA was the family friendly airline. When Herb retired and they started going after the business crowd, they quickly became one of the most family un-friendly airlines.

Southwest is fine if I am traveling by myself, but I won't use 'em for the family trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting topic, as the wife and I avoid SWA at all costs. We have two small children, 2 years old and 5 months and hate their cattle call. Also, the seating sucks for me. I'm 6'1", 215lbs with wide shoulders and a 34" waste and I always get stuck next to bigger people.. Our shoulders touch and I've never had a comfortable flight with them. Now are preferred airlines are United or Delta. But if I were a single guy or married with no kids, it might be different. But to the OP, take the 182!

Has it been a while since you flew with them?

The boarding process on Southwest is worlds better than any other airline these days - because of their orderly line-up system (they have "gates" for each five-person group), you can simply remain seated until it is time for your group, no need to queue up any more. This is a marked change from how it used to be, where you had to line up in the big, long "Group A, Group B" lines. Except for First Class pre-boards, it is vastly better than any other carrier's boarding system (where you still have the cramming-in mosh pit scene).

The seating is, in pitch (the distance between seat rows) better than any other carrier, except in the extra-cost "Economy-Plus" product on United. Certainly more room than on AA or Delta in coach.

Width-wise, the seats are the same as any others.

As for "stuck next to bigger people," that's what you are when you are constrained to a reserved seat (especially now, when you can't really pick your own seat on full flights, since they're all saved for premium million-milers); on Southwest, you choose your own.

That right there is why I avoid flying Southwest these days. Up until Herb left, SWA was the family friendly airline. When Herb retired and they started going after the business crowd, they quickly became one of the most family un-friendly airlines.

Southwest is fine if I am traveling by myself, but I won't use 'em for the family trips.

Southwest has always been a business-centric carrier - they built the airline on business travelers. But, I don't see how any of their policies are less-friendly to families than other airlines - two checked bags per passenger included is actually a family friendly policy, seems to me.

YMMV. I still prefer flying myself in the Bonanza, but if I MUST fly commercial, SWA is most likely to complete on-time, with minimum hassle.

Forget the 10 extra dollars. If you check in around the 24 hour per flight window, you will
Get A. Even if you have a mid B, there is plenty of room for aisle or window.

The tickets go to number 60 I think. So even if all of A and all pre boarding passengers went on, there is still enough room. I love Southwest. I wouldn't fly another airline without them. My parents fly them all the time and I fly them from college to home all the time.

Southwest has always been a business-centric carrier - they built the airline on business travelers. But, I don't see how any of their policies are less-friendly to families than other airlines - two checked bags per passenger included is actually a family friendly policy, seems to me.

Southwest had a promotion in the 1970's where they would give a full fair passenger ($26) a free fifth of whiskey. That sounds business centric to me, especially given the period!

As for their current policies...They don't allow families "traveling with small children" to pre-board. If you are in B or C group there is almost no chance that a family of 4 (or more) will be on the same row.

As far as boarding policies and procedures go, I love the Continental (United?) policy that has active duty military personnel boarding first.

except in the extra-cost "Economy-Plus" product on United.
Economy-plus on United is worth the extra cost. I'm a pretty small person, but even I get squished in regular coach. And if the *&^* in front of me puts their seat back? Forget it!

As for their current policies...They don't allow families "traveling with small children" to pre-board. If you are in B or C group there is almost no chance that a family of 4 (or more) will be on the same row.

BS. SWA puts families with children (who don't have As) after the As but before the Bs and Cs. No more than one adult per child so grandma and grandpa may have to board with the Cs but they certainly do set it up so that each kid can be sitting next to his/her adult. That strikes me as a sensible compromise between letting the families who didn't make the effort to get an A pass go first anyway, and separating a child from a parent.

No matter how many times they explain their boarding process, there's usually one or two who don't get it. Several times, I've been sitting in a seat only to have a passenger come up and say, "I think you're in my seat. I've got C 15.":mad2::mad2::mad2:

BS. SWA puts families with children (who don't have As) after the As but before the Bs and Cs. No more than one adult per child so grandma and grandpa may have to board with the Cs but they certainly do set it up so that each kid can be sitting next to his/her adult. That strikes me as a sensible compromise between letting the families who didn't make the effort to get an A pass go first anyway, and separating a child from a parent.

By definition that is not pre-boarding, Tim.

Alaska and I believe Delta have true family preboarding. It works out for all involved, including those in high priority groups who want to avoid the head bump with the diaper bag going by.

Flew United this week. Their family boarding policy is weak. They have one mostly to say they have one IMO. Nothing like smacking the fist class folks with the FAA approved child seat as I walk by.

I agree it's not pre-boarding. I don't see why (and I am one) a parent with a small child can't either pay the 10 bucks for an A number or check in early and get one.

But it's not anti-family either. With open seating and no first class the need for pre-boarding goes way down. I think SWA got it right.

No matter how many times they explain their boarding process, there's usually one or two who don't get it. Several times, I've been sitting in a seat only to have a passenger come up and say, "I think you're in my seat. I've got C 15.":mad2::mad2::mad2:

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

--

One SWA flight I was on the FAs put two rolls of toilet paper on the floor up in front. The idea was to have a TP race and see if the left side of the plane would beat the right side of the plane. As we accelerated and climbed, they released the rolls and they unwound down the aisle all the way to the back.

If Braniff, Eastern, TWA, and a few others had done this...

My instructor and hangermate is a Southwest caption. I can't speak loud enough to say what a great pilot, instructor and friend he is. He loves working for Southwest.

From what I understand people are more likely to get upgraded or boarded first when dressed up for travel. On my travels on their airline I've had time to meet at least one pilot, look into the cockpit, and still get a wing window seat. A lot of people head for the back or stay at the front in order to deplane faster. Personally I like the wing, feels less bumpy and you can see wings flex.

We fly SWA on occasion and have nothing but positive experiences. Our kids travel a lot with our grandson, who is in a wheel chair. SWA bends over backwards for them every time.

Buy the business fare. It guarantees you boarding in A1 through A15.

EDIT: and the "biz fare" on SW is not like biz elsewhere - it's still reasonably priced, and I buy it for about 65% of the legs I fly with them, even though I'm "super-preferred-best-client-A-List-Member". I like boarding early so I can choose the front two rows, and I like even more the ability to RETAIN my boarding priority EVEN if I have to change flights last minute. For example, OAK to BUR (a very typical flight for me) runs about $80-$90 for cheap fare + that $10 option (which really does work, by the way, it's extremely rare you buy it and NOT get a mid-to-late A, and that ONLY happens on a flight full of A-listers), and $180 for the biz fare. Compared to flying the 182, that's still pretty darn cheap :)

Last edited:
Buy the business fare. It guarantees you boarding in A1 through A15.
It appears that very few people do that. I haven't noticed many people standing in that section of the line. Families with children under a certain age can board after the A group and before the B group. That still leaves a pretty good selection of seats.

It appears that very few people do that.

Precisely. So buy it, and sit wherever you want.

Of course, it gets kinda funny when you are right up there as A1, and there are a total of - count them - six other passengers on the entire flight... as once happened to me on a flight from SLC to OAK.

But on busy routes - like my OAK-BUR one - it often happens that all 15 biz tix are sold.

Not sure I agree that it was always business centric....Herb himself said that they modeled Southwest after PSA.

Here's my beef with SWA and families. A few years ago (about the time they rolled out the business fares and such), Southwest dropped the early boarding for families with small children. Those who don't travel with little ones probably thought that was a great idea.

But when you have a baby and a toddler and all of the periphal stuff, car seat, diaper bag...etc and you are trying to get settled in your seats while the cattle car crowd is pushing and shoving.....it is not pleasant for anyone. That early boarding is so much smoother-no none gets pushed around, kids are much calmer and it isn't like the family is going to take up more seats than they paid for.

I've flown Delta and American recently and they both still had early boarding for families.

As for the bags...you are still paying for it. SWA is no longer the cheapest airline. While the others are fighting to keep fares down, they are just passing the extra costs on to the adding fees, bags, entertainment, food...etc. Southwest just added the cost to the fare.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree that it was always business centric....Herb himself said that they modeled Southwest after PSA.

Operationally - the efficiency and all that - I believe you are correct.

The airline's genesis, however was, straight-up business travelers, starting out flying Houston - Dallas - San Antonio. High-frequency, very simple fare structure, never a change fee and never a forfeiture of ticket value. It was a dog-fight with Braniff and (to a lesser extent) Texas International (now known as "United").

Here's my beef with SWA and families. A few years ago (about the time they rolled out the business fares and such), Southwest dropped the early boarding for families with small children. Those who don't travel with little ones probably thought that was a great idea.

But when you have a baby and a toddler and all of the periphal stuff, car seat, diaper bag...etc and you are trying to get settled in your seats while the cattle car crowd is pushing and shoving.....it is not pleasant for anyone.

Key: they dropped the pre-boarding at the same time they re-engineered the boarding process to do away with the cattle-call boarding system.

In any event, I am led to understand that one of the key reasons for doing away with pre-boarding for all but disabled persons, was that the process was grievously abused by many travelers, and that it was considered disruptive to the business travelers which formed the core of their passenger base.

For me, when I was traveling with my son when he was little, I preferred SWA because I had a reasonable chance to get decent seats, whereas on the more-traditional carriers, any seat-combination worth having had already been taken by the super-ultra-platinum frequent flyers. Diff'rent strokes, Willis.

As for the bags...you are still paying for it. SWA is no longer the cheapest airline. While the others are fighting to keep fares down, they are just passing the extra costs on to the adding fees, bags, entertainment, food...etc. Southwest just added the cost to the fare.

They've almost never been the cheapest... other airlines will undercut them by a few bucks... but I always enjoy comparing the fares on other carriers on segments of similar length where there is no SWA flights... they post some VERY impressive numbers (as in, stunningly high). The other thing, of course, is that the other airlines beat 'em on long-lead pricing, but almost never on short-lead-time (or "walk-up") fares.

I still prefer flying the Bonanza, though.

SWA had great customer service when I last flew them a few years back. I haven't been booked on them where I work recently for some reason.

Back