Flying on Jan 1st?

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
The long range forecast for Sunday the first is looking pretty good here. I think I'll try to get up (unless the wife has me taking down Xmas lights!). Anyone know if Janesville will be open New Years Day?

Anybody else planning to fly Sunday?

I really wanted to get out this weekend, but it looks like we're expecting a couple storms here in the southwest.

Best bet for the 1st is to call the FBO directly. 3B2 plans on staffing but I've been to some places on holiday weekends that were closed or on reduced hours. Got stuck on the wrong side of the fence too! Like DUKE NUKE'M - Be careful the doors you go through.

I'nm going to to get the plane in the air Sunday if it kills me. We get warm weather and every one of the days has overcast, rain/show and low clouds. It ain't fair.

Let us know what you find and where you're aiming for. I'll try to meet you.

Last edited:
Hi Mike...yeah I feel the same way. I don't care if the restaurant is open or not, its been so long being earthbound that I'm going somewhere even if its just to walk around the apron!:D

I had thought about the champagne brunch at Lakelawn (I assumed that as a resort it would be open) but wasn't sure about the runway condition, and, frankly, I'm just too lazy to call.

So was planning on Janesville at around 10:00 - 10:30am.

Let me know if you have other suggestions...I just want to fly!

bstratt said:
Hi Mike...yeah I feel the same way. I don't care if the restaurant is open or not, its been so long being earthbound that I'm going somewhere even if its just to walk around the apron!:D

I had thought about the champagne brunch at Lakelawn (I assumed that as a resort it would be open) but wasn't sure about the runway condition, and, frankly, I'm just too lazy to call.

So was planning on Janesville at around 10:00 - 10:30am.

Let me know if you have other suggestions...I just want to fly!

Lake Lawn or, better, Grand Geneva would be good. We know they'll have some sort of crowd of couples doing a New Years package.

I want to make sure I put a few hours flying time in, though so the oil and engine get thoroughly warmed up. I'll try to get an early start. I always have trouble with that.

Never been to Grand Geneva as I had heard it wasn't as pilot friendly nor as convenient to the runway as Lakelawn.

I'll give Lakelawn a call in the morning and then we can make up our minds.

Well Canuck, i'm planning on flying Sunday,my plane has been stuck at a grass strip for 2 weeks and i want to go get it back home. iI wanted to fly in the new year ,but guess that aint hapening so i'll settle for flying on the 1st. Dave G

Was Snow now it's Mud, But should be able to get it out now, had some cold WX and hopefully now it's froze enough to git it Dave

mikea said:
Lake Lawn or, better, Grand Geneva would be good. We know they'll have some sort of crowd of couples doing a New Years package.

I want to make sure I put a few hours flying time in, though so the oil and engine get thoroughly warmed up. I'll try to get an early start. I always have trouble with that.

Mike, runway at Lake Lawn is clear (according to front desk). Doc Bruce and his wife Sue are joining us. We're meeting at 10:30am as the ceilings are supposed to start lowering around 1:00pm. I'll email you as well.

Last edited:
Not me.

Head cold, made worse by a slam-dunk approach on the return-home airline trip yesterday.

Back