Flying near Santa Barbara

1200AGL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
There's a possibility that I may be taking a job near Santa Barbara and moving to the area. I've lived in the Washington D.C. suburbs my entire life and don't know a whole lot about SoCal.

There is a GA airport in Santa Inez (IZA) with a glider operation and another in Lompoc (LPC). I saw a few GA aircraft on the ramp in SBA. So where to fly?

Is there a good place where I can rent a Super D or the like? I see an IAC chapter in Santa Paula (IAC 49).

I'd appreciate any advice.

There are several flights schools active at Santa Barbara airport (SBA).

Aerobatics are available at several schools in Camarillo (CMA) and 4-5 Citabrias/Decatholans at CP Aviation at Santa Paula (SZP).

Figure max 50 min to any of the airports listed.

Santa Paula is aircraft central for the northern part of SoCal. It's a great little airport, with a lot of activity. Santa Ynez is also a nice spot, but not near as busy as Santa Paula. Lompoc suffers from the June gloom a fair amount, which can limit access in summer with low clouds just offshore, and onshore.

It's a world of difference from DC. You're gonna love it if you have the money.

There are several flights schools active at Santa Barbara airport (SBA).

Aerobatics are available at several schools in Camarillo (CMA) and 4-5 Citabrias/Decatholans at CP Aviation at Santa Paula (SZP).

Figure max 50 min to any of the airports listed.

Thanks! That's comforting to know, because that's about the drive time to the GA airports I fly out of around here.

Cheers,
Paul

Santa Paula is aircraft central for the northern part of SoCal. It's a great little airport, with a lot of activity. Santa Ynez is also a nice spot, but not near as busy as Santa Paula. Lompoc suffers from the June gloom a fair amount, which can limit access in summer with low clouds just offshore, and onshore.

It's a world of difference from DC. You're gonna love it if you have the money.

Thanks. I was warned about June Gloom during the interview.
Yeah, I'd probably need to downsize to a 1 BR apartment out there to pull it off, but so it goes.

I spent 2 weeks flying out of SBA recently. I saw quite a lot of GA going on in those 2 weeks. Not sure if it was local or transient traffic, but approach seemed easy going on GA there.

I'll tell ya Santa Monica area has got wild traffic sitting on venice beach you are watching planes fly around all day..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santa Paula has a nice decathlon, the aerobatic box is just a few miles away. I don't think Camarillo has one for rent, there are a few guys with Pitts that will train aerobatics if that is what you are looking for, Bill Cornick and Spencer Suderman are the Pitts owners and Bill can sign off on low level aerobatics.

I trained at SBA when I was in college out there. Beautiful place to fly, and simple. So many amazing places you can get to in an hour or so by air. Not sure about a Super D rental there.
I used to rent from Red Baron Aviation at SBA. Reasonable rates...wish I could pay the same here in NYC!
Approach is very friendly toward GA. It's an easy to manage Class C. Just don't let tower forget about you when you're on extended downwind for the 15's, as the mountains tend to rise...

I am from Santa Barbara. An instrument rating will serve you well, if not already rated.

I am from Santa Barbara. An instrument rating will serve you well, if not already rated.

After seeing the "June Gloom" marine layer out there this weekend, I agree.

I started doing some homework on the operations at SBA and found this today:

Owner Sentenced in Insurance-Fraud Scheme

Well, whatever I do, I will make sure that I have a suitable Renter's Insurance policy!

Quote... Just don't let tower forget about you when you're on extended downwind for the 15's, as the mountains tend to rise...[/QUOTE]

I second that (BTDT)!. I flew out of SBA for about 20 years. In the '80s/'90s it was so busy you could hardly get a word in edgewise. Not any more, what with the decline in GA activity. Was based at IZA as well - good airport with good approaches. Usually when SBA is socked in IZA is clear and vice versa. Otherwise, the flying weather in Socal is good much of the time.

Santa Paula is probably the most interesting GA airport in Socal. Unfortunately, it is small, crowded, and boxed in by the terrain. It is also next to a river that washed away part of it a few years ago. In spite of all that, I'd consider basing my airplane there.

Dave

Back