Flying Mom around PHX

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
Friday, March 10th, around 8:45am, in a Cessna 172S out of Deer Valley Airport, North Phoenix.

Weather was gorgeous. No clouds to speak of. Very light winds at about 3,000AGL but the slight bumps didn't bother Mom in the least. This is her second flight with me as well as in a small plane.

Our initial plan was to look for some big fields of wildflowers for a driving trip the next day. What we found, however, was that with the lush green backdrop on the desert floor right now (thanks to LOTS of rain), yellow, orange and some purple flowers really don't show up that well without some low and slow work. And most of the area is laced with power lines and houses, so low and slow was pretty much out.

We still saw some nice scenery. The reservoirs are filling up (Saguaro Lake, attached pic, is pretty much full), the desert and mountains are VERY green, and the air fairly clear. Temps were in the mid-70's when we landed but warming up to the mid-80's later in the day.

We managed to get a Class B VFR transition from south to north, passing right over Sky Harbor on our way back to Deer Valley. I always try to get it with out-of-town visitors but clearance varies with traffic.

Everything was great up until my landing. My first flight with Mom ended with a beautiful greaser. This time it was easily my worst landing in over a year. I flared too high and recognized it as soon as we dropped about a couple of feet. We bounced. I just killed the power and held the nosewheel back for the 'second' landing since we weren't in danger of porpoising. Blah. I apologized and she didn't think it was a big deal. Aren't Moms great? :D

Teerawood said:
fun.. my parents are too afriad to go with me up there..
She was VERY leery about getting in the air the first time (last year). This time, however, she was incredibly relaxed and having a great time. She took photos on takeoff and approach (her two 'tense' periods last time), did a 'woohoo' with a few of the bigger bumps, and asked questions about where we were, etc.. No interest in taking the controls (I asked), mainly because she wanted to look around and take lots of pics.

The first time, I chose a VERY mild morning with cooler temps and pretty much no wind. I've found through my limited passenger carrying experience (and a lot of advice from wiser voices around here) that the first flight's experience needs to be short, not too involved, as turbulence-free as possible, and with the appearance of a relaxed pilot, regardless of the situation.

Moms are great.
My mom thinks that her daughter does too many risky and crazy things, but since she knows that it's what I want to do, she's always very supportive. (What a great mom!) The day I was scheduled to fly her from Bedford to Bridgeport, it was windy and gusty and turbulent. She said "I don't want any turbulence!" I said, "No problem, we'll just wait until nightfall."
We took off around dusk. I'd rented the shiniest 172S in the fleet, with everything new-looking and flashy avionics. Nothing's too good for my mom! The trip was smooth and uneventful. We got a good view of New Haven at night on the way into Bridgeport, and came in over the water for approach to the runway. There was still a little bit of leftover gusty winds as we got close to the ground, but I managed to make a mediocre landing. My mom was startled at how "smooth" the landing was, and admitted that just before we actually landed, she thought she "was going to die". What a sport!
When I ask her if she'd ever like to fly with me again, she says yes!

Those pictures of lakes & mountains are fantastic!

--Kath

Brian, Are you going to the mooney fly-in at Deer Valley on Saturday? You dont have to own a mooney......And we wont laugh in front of you either. I am planning on attending, but now they are calling for rain saturday...Also there is suposed to be a airshow at Luke.

Michael said:
Brian, Are you going to the mooney fly-in at Deer Valley on Saturday? You dont have to own a mooney......And we wont laugh in front of you either. I am planning on attending, but now they are calling for rain saturday...Also there is suposed to be a airshow at Luke.
Airshow at Luke? Didn't know about that one (although I would have found out about it with a briefing for my upcoming Saturday flight, I suppose). I've got my nephew over for the day. I might cancel the flight and run over to Luke if there is something going on.

Rain is 20% right now. It sounds like later in the day but this far out, you never know. The weather weenies over here haven't been terribly accurate as of late.

Hadn't heard about the Mooney fly-in. I don't get around in the local aviating community as much as I should, I guess. Besides, the tails are all backwards on those planes. Who's laughing at who? ;)

Ok, Luke Days 2005 at Luke AFB in Phoenix. No flying for me. That's gonna be some busy airspace.

I'll be on the ground, taking lots of pics. :D

Brian Austin said:
flared too high and recognized it as soon as we dropped about a couple of feet. We bounced. I just killed the power and held the nosewheel back for the 'second' landing since we weren't in danger of porpoising. Blah. I apologized and she didn't think it was a big deal. Aren't Moms great? :D
Brian, that's so cool that you took your Mom and that you both enjoyed it :)

My Mom soloed a Champ at age 62. I was so proud of her that day. She had to make 3 go-arounds after bouncing back into the air every time she tried to land. We were afraid she'd run out of gas before she made it down OK. But, she figured it out :) She likes to fly with me, but she doesn't quite understand my desire to do aerobatics.

Beautiful pictures, Brian! The lake and the shot of Phoenix in the haze are terrific. Sky Harbor always reminds me of my early training days, when I'd listen to their live feed over the Internet. After a while I could picture all the taxiways and runways and anticipate the instructions ATC would give to the pilots coming in for landings.

Your mom must be so proud of you. :)

Diana, I love the photo of you and your mom! That's a treasure. This is my mom: she won't discuss it, she won't ask about it, and for my birthday this year she gave me a Lands End gift certificate instead of the check she always gives me, because she doesn't want me to spend the money on flying. That's okay, I like clothes.

Now, if my dad were still alive, I could take him flying....

Back