"Flying" Magazine

I like Flying magazine a lot. They have way better articles than AOPA magazines. It's also a very cheap subscription. I'll keep renewing mine.

Considering Ed McMahon is dead, if he were to knock on my door, I'd crap my pants and run for the hills (I'd rip the ten million dollar check out of his hand first, though)

Glad to hear you have your priorities straight.

Yes, I have noted that I do the same thing.

On a related note...

I used to get Flying. I now get the AOPAPilot and EAA Sport Aviation.

Both worthwhile, but...

They can sit for a long time, unread, by my bed. I've gotten used to the interactivity and ability to respond in almost real time that I get when I'm on a forum. Magazines have started to seem too static, dated and one way, and I get through them very quickly if at all.

Anyone else notice this?

The best, most GA-pertinent magazine is actually a newspaper. General Aviation news is 100% advertiser supported, and consistently delivers the best, most timely news about the only segment of flying I care about.

If you can't pick one up at your airport, you can request mail delivery. We get a stack of them every week, and put them in our hotel rooms.

Last edited:
I like Flying magazine a lot. They have way better articles than AOPA magazines. It's also a very cheap subscription. I'll keep renewing mine.

I would agree that Flyings columnists have always been good reads. Goes back to Gordon Baxter etc. AOPA is very factual, but I don't sense a great tradition in journalism or storytelling there. EAA's Sport Pilot is my least favorite. I will continue to support EAA, but their magazine I find boring. Maybe because I just can tell all the LSA's and RVs apart these days.

I wish there was a twin magazine dedicated to both pistons and turbines and maybe some VLJ jets for private owners. That would be something I would like to read.

The best, most GA-pertinent magazine is actually a newspaper. General Aviation news is 100% advertiser supported....
Then who are those guys at the trade show that I pay for my subscription? 1/2 :)

But no argument, I like GAN, too. Used to chat with Dave Sclair at Arlington.

Ron Wanttaja

I would agree that Flyings columnists have always been good reads. Goes back to Gordon Baxter etc.
I remember the glory days of Flying magazine -- the soaring poetry of Gill Robb Wilson; the "just-the-facts-Ma'am" reporting of Dick Weeghman; the humor of Frank Kingston Smith and later Gordon Baxter; and the early careers of such talents as James Gilbert and Richard Bach. With his innocent awe of flying and insatiable desire to educate himself to become a better pilot, Frank Kingston Smith stoked my passion for flying more than anyone else, rest his soul.

I still have every issue of Flying from September 1960 to the early '90s.

Buy and manage all your subscriptions through Amazon you can choose auto renew if you like. You always know when your subscription is due. Plus usually if you get the mag on auto renew it renews at the sale price. I had to send AOPA 3 "do not contact letters" to get them to stop they are predatory.

Buy and manage all your subscriptions through Amazon you can choose auto renew if you like. You always know when your subscription is due. Plus usually if you get the mag on auto renew it renews at the sale price. I had to send AOPA 3 "do not contact letters" to get them to stop they are predatory.
My only subscription experience with Amazon was my last renewal of the Economist. It's an expensive magazine so I snapped on it when the Amazon price was a few bucks cheaper than from the publisher. As it turned out, the Amazon price was cheaper because that subscription did not include access to the downloadable electronic version. I like paper, but I download when I'm traveling or when the magazine gets delayed a day or two in the mail. I ended up having to cancel the Amazon subscription, get a refund for the balance, and then buy from the publisher.

Nothing in the Amazon description indicated that it was a crippled version.

Back