Flying low over water and your new plane starts talking to ya

The Rotax 912 is designed to run without water if you pull the power back like he did. The heads are water cooled, but the cylinders are air cooled. Not sure why he climbed when the cylinder temp alarm went off, should have remained level.

HORRIBLE landing. Floats for a long time and lets the nose wheel slam down. :nono:

Problem would have been found had he taken the cowling off after the first couple of flights.

Okay, I'm done being ****y. :lol:

Last edited:
My guess is he climbed because he wanted to make it to land if the engine quit or at least that is the thought. Not sure how high he was or how far.

I could be.. Depending how far out from land you are?.. And if you're close to land how far from a good landing area? I wouldn't wanna be 2500' up over water with a issue like that..
But then I'm a newbie and still respect my aircraft and the whole flying thing..

Lol(backacha)

My guess is he climbed because he wanted to make it to land if the engine quit or at least that is the thought. Not sure how high he was or how far.
Isn't that sort of like driving faster so you can make it to the gas station before you run out of gas?

I know right?!? I hope he never had the music blasting through the headsets like that..or maybe he did to impress the female with his brand spanking new plane?

This is "low"

awtkpy.jpg

The Rotax 912 is designed to run without water if you pull the power back like he did. The heads are water cooled, but the cylinders are air cooled. Not sure why he climbed when the cylinder temp alarm went off, should have remained level.

HORRIBLE landing. Floats for a long time and lets the nose wheel slam down. :nono:

Problem would have been found had he taken the cowling off after the first couple of flights.

Pretty judgmental of you. He had a higher airspeed and altitude on landing since he was worried about the engine possibly quitting out. That's a natural thing to do in that situation and that's what pilots are trained to do.

I know right?!? I hope he never had the music blasting through the headsets like that..or maybe he did to impress the female with his brand spanking new plane?

Yep. I didn't watch the whole video, but it did seem to be an attempted "female impressing flight" to me....

I've climbed for engine issues before - not because I thought it would be more efficient versus maintaing altitude and proceeding direct to an airport - but because at my current altitude if it quit enroute to that airport I wouldn't have time to glide to a decent off-field landing.

Basically where I was at I could put it in a field but would rather not if I didn't have to. If I continued on and it quit in 10 minutes I'd be going into houses. But if I climbed over my current location I could then proceed to an airport and know that if it quit enroute I'd be able to put it somewhere where I would have a decent survival chance.

So many factors to consider. That said the above reasoning likely wouldn't be a factor over water.

You are 100% right about Rotax .
His landing wasn't good but he was under stress . Considering the pressure he was under , I give him C for landing and A for climbing .

Pretty judgmental of you. He had a higher airspeed and altitude on landing since he was worried about the engine possibly quitting out. That's a natural thing to do in that situation and that's what pilots are trained to do.

:confused: I was taught to slow down on final even if I'm landing without it running.

I've never been able to land with a higher altitude, I always find myself descending right to the ground. My current plane WILL NOT land with a higher airspeed . . . it will just float in ground effect right off the airport and into the next county, obstacles permitting [at home, the obstacles start about 75' beyond the end of the asphalt at one end, and about 25' at the other end].

Plopping the nose wheel down after touch down is poor form no matter the circumstances. The main wheels are on the ground, ride them until you can't hold the nose wheel off any longer. Its an airplane, not a 4x4.

Why would you climb when your instruments are telling you the CHT's are hot? My training tells me to throttle back, maintain altitude, and reduce airspeed (engine work load), to the minimum to maintain flight. In fact, it is the appropriate response (per the Rotax Operator's Manual; Chapter 4 paragraph 3) with a Rotax 912 and hot CHTs.

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d04670.pdf

Last edited:
You are 100% right about Rotax .
His landing wasn't good but he was under stress . Considering the pressure he was under , I give him C for landing and A for climbing .

Rethink the climbing thing with hot CHT's. ;)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back