Flying Jobs for aging aviators

redcloud

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scott keyes
While I read nearly all the posts; as a low time pilot, I seldom make comments. I rather try to learn from you all with greater experience. So.. please forgive me for only posting when I need advice.

I have been very fortunate to have enjoyed a good career as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. In 5-6 years I should be able to retire. I finished my PP-ASEL in October and am presently working on my IR in my 1997 C182 (the plane is a low time "jewel", I even upgraded it with a G-430 and G-530, and plan to maintain it for as long as I can fly). I am planning on obtaining a Columbia 400 in the next 1-2 months with the plan to "grow" into it! After the IR training I had planned to complete the commercial rating to increase my proficiency. I presently have around 135 hours in my log book.

Are there any reasonable ways to make a little income during retirement in aviation. My two planes will be paid for. I had thought about mission work using my professional skills but would like to also incorporate the aviation skills! I also wondered if the aviation skills would be of any use regarding the PEACE CORPS.

No wish to replace my income, just make enough for routine living expenses.

The request for advice is sincere; responses in same vein appreciated! Are the other useful endorsements or ratings recommended? I am probably limited to a class III medical.

Scott

Go for it Scott, sorry I have no useful advice on 'how'. I have known a few that instruct in their own plane (brrr!) and others who have operated an air taxi service (some legally, others well....I'll tell you about the bonanza and the fence wire in the fog later).

The main thing that would be a negative for you unfortunately, is your salutation. People see that, and if ANYthing ever goes wrong in your flying they may go after your personal assets. Insurance will provide protection but that will be very pricey.
Good luck!

While I don't have advice for profitable aviation activities, I can strongly recommend charitable flying groups such as Angel Flight as a way to use your aviation skills. Your medical background could also be very useful in outreach activities for such organizations. Perhaps you'll find some income generating ideas outside aviation.

Good luck!

If you can't get a Class II medical, you can't be a pilot for hire, but you can instruct, and if you're a good teacher, we need that in the flight training world, especially when combined with life experience, maturity, and the absence of a burning desire to build hours and move to the airlines.

I second what Ron said. The world needs more good instructors, and it's the only way to use aviation for income with only a class III.

--Kath

What other opportunities are there if a 2nd class medical is maintained? And.... if a person wished to increase their ratings other than a multiengine, would a turboprop rating be more useful in order to make a small living?

Scott

redcloud said:
While I read nearly all the posts; as a low time pilot, I seldom make comments. I rather try to learn from you all with greater experience. So.. please forgive me for only posting when I need advice.

I have been very fortunate to have enjoyed a good career as an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. In 5-6 years I should be able to retire. I finished my PP-ASEL in October and am presently working on my IR in my 1997 C182 (the plane is a low time "jewel", I even upgraded it with a G-430 and G-530, and plan to maintain it for as long as I can fly). I am planning on obtaining a Columbia 400 in the next 1-2 months with the plan to "grow" into it! After the IR training I had planned to complete the commercial rating to increase my proficiency. I presently have around 135 hours in my log book.

Are there any reasonable ways to make a little income during retirement in aviation. My two planes will be paid for. I had thought about mission work using my professional skills but would like to also incorporate the aviation skills! I also wondered if the aviation skills would be of any use regarding the PEACE CORPS.

No wish to replace my income, just make enough for routine living expenses.

The request for advice is sincere; responses in same vein appreciated! Are the other useful endorsements or ratings recommended? I am probably limited to a class III medical.

Scott

Well, if you're limited to a class III med, it throws a sticker in the deal since even with a commercial certificate, you are only allowed the priviledges of a private pilot. As such, there are several medical relief organizations that would love to have you and your plane, but they are volunteer organizations to the best of my knowledge. You could offer minimum cost rural service even within the US and fly into un/underserved communities. Some of these deals even pay reasonably well. Unless you have a major intrest in something like photography, the medical end of it is gonna be your way to go. I bought my Travel Air off a dentist who used to fly it regularly to Mexico doing volunteer work. It allowed him not only the prorata deduction of the aircraft, but also got him a charitable contribution receipt for the entire value of his time and services. While it didn't "pay" anything, it most certainly payed off for him.

Scott;

I agree with Ron and Kath. We do need more instructors who are not just building up time for the airlines. Interesting I began my flight instruction in 1959 from a retired airline and Army Airforce pilot who could not pass his first class med. He was in his 60's when I learned from him. He loved teaching primary flight training.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

John

redcloud said:
What other opportunities are there if a 2nd class medical is maintained? And.... if a person wished to increase their ratings other than a multiengine, would a turboprop rating be more useful in order to make a small living?

Scott

There is quite a bit of opportunity with a second class, just not much that pays unless you are the business owner/manager/pilot/bottle washer.
BTW, Do not buy specialized ratings hopeing for a job. If they want you to fly a turbo prop, they'll pay to train you in it. If they don't, you don't belong there.

Ron - I am a young guy, who loves to teach (I happen to be a teacher) and would love to instruct if you don't mind paying for my I.R., my commercial, and my CFI!!!! Then I would probably quit teaching biology and just teach flying. J/K of course about you paying for my ratings but I assure you a good instructor will be here soon!!! I was blessed to have great instructors throuogh all of my flying so far and can't wait to return the favor to my own students one day.

Back