Flying into Washington DC

Rick Wallace

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Avnut
What is the best strategy for flying into Washington DC from the south? The plan is to visit Georgetown for one day then fly back. I plan to file IFR and have SFRA certification. I would like to fly in and ride a metro on Friday evening? Or better to uber or rent a car? Or better to fly into KIAD?

What is the best strategy for flying into Washington DC from the south? The plan is to visit Georgetown for one day then fly back. I plan to file IFR and have SFRA certification. I would like to fly in and ride a metro on Friday evening? Or better to uber or rent a car? Or better to fly into KIAD?

If this is something you'll do with any frequency, try to find the time to get your FRZ authorization. Then you'll be able to land at College Park (CGS) and walk across the street to the metro.

I've heard good things about IAD but of course will be expensive (and I have no firsthand experience).

I was based at IAD for years and have been in there amany times even after I've moved out. SIgnature is now the only FBO (they bought out Landmark, which really had fallen into an abysmal state after being sold the previous time). Call them for the fee breakdown, but landing fee is on the order $8 (goes to MWAA not Signature). Fuel is pricey. Handling fee if you don't buy the inflated fuel.

From IAD you can get bus service to the Metro (now the Wiele silver line stop) or rent a car or a number of ground services.

Note that there is no "Georgetown" metro stop. Your two options are to walk up from the Foggy Bottom stop or across the Key bridge from Rosslyn. You don't indicate exactly where you are going in Georgetown.

HEF has commuter rail which may work for you depending on when you are travelling, the last four stops are colocated with Metro.

As pointed out CGS (and DCA, but you're not getting in there) are the only place that is actually directly on the Metrorail system. You'll need FRZ access.

You will notice there is construction all over IAD and the Dulles Access Road for the extension of the SIlver line to IAD

GAI and cab to the Shady Grove metro.
IAD and cab or bus to Wiehle Ave metro.
HEF and a rental car.
2W5 and a rental car.

The F16's were out over downtown DC this morning, so presumably someone didn't follow their SFRA procedures :eek:.

I've used the taxi from GAI to Shady Grove option a few times. Pretty painless.

GAI and cab to the Shady Grove metro.
IAD and cab or bus to Wiehle Ave metro.
HEF and a rental car.
2W5 and a rental car.
There are better options than 2W5, but it's loads better than W32.

Best option for OP is CGS, 2nd I'd recommend W00.

Living and flying in and out of the FRZ, my advice (absent a FRZ pin) is to use GAI, then Uber/taxi to Shady Grove metro station. With a FRZ pin, CGS is the best alternative, by far. You could use FME or W00, both with straight shots (via Uber or taxi) into DC, but quite a bit more expensive than GAI/Metro option. IAD is a royal pain, unless you have a lot of time

With luck, you won't be killed or maimed riding Metrorail. . .it may be slow, expensive, and unreliable, but it's inconvenient, too!

It's like $6 for an über from GAI to the metro.

Probably the easiest option given you aren't FRZ vetted.

If you are gonna rent a car anyway, just go into 2w5. Cheap fuel, easiest approach into the area, and the traffic sucks the least on that path into the city.

How hard is FRZ to get?

Not hard, but last I was aware, you had to do it in person at the Baltimore FSDO and KDCA fingerprinting. Looks like the fingerprinting can now be done elsewhere, but the whole process will still take up half a day, and then you won't get the PIN for a couple of weeks. If you'll make repeated trips, it's definitely worth doing on one of your first trips. If this is a one-time thing, don't bother.

Details here: http://collegeparkairport.aero/md3.html

There are better options than 2W5, but it's loads better than W32.

W32 is an off-field landing and requires a FRZ PIN.

Best option for OP is CGS,

Again, requires a FRZ PIN. If he had the PIN, he wouldn"t be asking.

2nd I'd recommend W00.

That's a paved path in a cowpasture underneath a powerline. Compared with GAI it's in the boonies.

I'd go into freeway I think. Or keep it simple and go commercial. While in georgetown go to Clydes for lunch for sure.

So GAI sounds like the best option for me. Would you spend the night in DC or outside of DC? I havent checked accomodations, but I bet they arent cheap and its probably prime tourist season.

My folks have stayed in the Courtyard Chevy Chase before. It's on the red line and relatively convenient to Georgetown.

I don't know if I'd go to GAI. By the time you catch a cab both ways, you might has well taken the fees at IAD. I guess Uber might be a bit better these days, but frankly I was not impressed with the cabs in Gaithersburg the few times I've had to use one.

Tons of hotels (and a lot cheaper) between GAI (which is WAY out in the boonies, if you think Bowie is far, you ain't seen nothing).

Back