Flying into Vancouver, BC ?

Cogito

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cogito
Looking for advice flying GA to Vancouver, BC. I've signed up for eAPIS and CanPass and have all the required documents on board. I subscribed to ForeFlight Canadian charts on on a primary and backup iPad.

My questions:
1) Would you fly into Vancouver Intl. (CYVR,) Boundary Bay, or ?
2) I was thinking that since one has to be on a flight plan anyway, would it be easier to fly in IFR, especially if going into CYVR? In that case loading up the G3X with Canadian charts might be the smart, if costly, way to go.

Any advice from a pilot who has flown GA into Vancouver, BC would be appreciated.

I haven't been across the border in a long time. when we did we use Abbotsford and rented a car.
Pitt Meadows is an other alternate.
If you don't want the hassle of a crossing, Point Roberts is in the US but closer to VanCo than most Canadian airports.

If you don't want the hassle of a crossing, Point Roberts is in the US but closer to VanCo than most Canadian airports.
If he's comfortable with a grass strip.

I drove there last summer. It didn't look like it was a place where he would be likely to get a rental car. Maybe Uber, etc.?

If he's comfortable with a grass strip.

I drove there last summer. It didn't look like it was a place where he would be likely to get a rental car. Maybe Uber, etc.?
I wish I'd flown there with my last plane, much easier on grass. We once flew to Orcas Island only 16 miles south.

Probably not going to fly the Lancair to a 2,200' grass strip, but it's a great idea. Thank you.

I prefer to stay away from YVR. The landing and parking fees, and delays getting out of there with a small GA plane can be ugly. The last time I went in there was the mid-1980s. There are other options.

Abbotsford (YXX) has the best services for an alternate. I was just into Abbie this past weekend. Contact their Flying Club for parking. Like @Tom-D, this would be my first choice.
Boundary Bay (ZBB) to the south of YVR is okay for accessing south Vancouver, but check on availability of rental cars; you might have to go offsite. There weren't any landing fees last time I was in there, but they had instituted a main terminal ramp parking fee.
Pitt Meadows (YPK) and Langley Regional (YNJ) are reasonable to access those parts of the Lower Mainland too, but lack car rentals on site. And neither are Customs Ports of Entry, so you won't be able to go there direct. There's a lot of student training traffic near these two airports as well, including a lot of English as a Second Language pilot candidates.
Victoria International (YYJ) services are excellent if you want access to southern Vancouver Island.

Last edited:
I went into the main Vancouver International in the C182 last June. Prices were good at Signature (although I'll admit I'm now judging by international standards where paying $500 for a stop is pretty good going). It was very straightforward and easy, didn't have any delays.

I am a local, and work at YVR. Personally, I would steer way clear of the International airport. Boundary bay is a great choice, with customs on site. It will be pain free. Rental cars can easily be arranged there, they will bring it to you. They strive to be a proper FBO for GA.

Back