Flying into the Chicago area

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
A few weeks ago, I needed to come to the southwestern suburbs of Chicago for a few days, and I asked a few POA Chicago locals for recommendations on where to land my transponderless Cessna 140 (soon to be equipped with a GTX327).

DuPage (KDPA) was closest to my destination, but it looks like they charge tiedown fees, and it's a little way inside the Mode C veil. Aurora (KARR), on the other hand, is on the edge of the veil, and their ramp space is free for old taildraggers.

For the record, I was very happy with KARR and Lumanair (the FBO) for their courtesy and GA-friendliness. Lumanair put the ol' 140 "on alert", meaning that if there was a risk of bad weather moving through the area, they'd move my plane into a hangar for safe keeping.

The WX was pretty crappy all week, so I ended up paying for 3 nights in the hangar. Rates were fair, given the peace of mind.

Flights into and out of the area were CAVU, with the usual tailwind (my 140 is living a virtuous life and is consistently blessed with 10kt tailwinds on long XC flights - just ask Tony).

Anyway, I'd recommend KARR to anyone who needs to fly into the area for a few days.

Awesome, Matt. Thanks for the recommendation. How's the access from KARR to downtown? Does the 'L' run that far out?

yes everytime we fly that 140 cross country we have a tailwind. thank
god.

Awesome, Matt. Thanks for the recommendation. How's the access from KARR to downtown? Does the 'L' run that far out?

Not even close to that airport. KARR is on the far west side of the Chicago metro area. The airport itself is really closer to the small towns of Yorkville and Sugar Grove. You need a car out that far as even a trip to the Metra (commuter rail) is pretty far.

Ma Lumen still comes to the airport. Sons John and Mike are running the show, but Ma still presides. She's quite the pistol.

Yep, Bruce. Ma still has her own parking spot there.

I was able to get a cab for the short trip to my destination, and for the return trip back to the airport at the end of the week, I bummed a ride from a new friend.

Now there's an idea: everyone who rides cabs regularly ought to be able to save 50% just by being nicer whereever they are. Then, the ride home is free.

But I digress. I've hijacked my own post...

Back