Flying Into Parker, Arizona

WellingtonB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WellingtonB
Newbie here with absolutely zero knowledge of flying. :D Looking to get some advice for a private charter and figured what better place than a pilots forum.

A group of us (6 to 8 passengers) are looking to fly from the San Francisco Bay Area directly to Parker, AZ. Our commercial flight options are boring. Fly Virgin from SFO to Palm Springs and drive a rental car 2 hours to our final destination. Total cost per person for flight/car = $400 roughly.

Now, if we could fly private and direct, it would make things much more interesting. We are fully expecting to pay much more than commercial obviously and understand the costs associated with running an airplane (I'm a boater). What would be our best option for the trip? None of us want to pay G6 money for this trip. Would we be good with a King Air? A fun old DC3? A pair of SR22's and break up the group? Any advice on contacting a school or pilots that need to log hours that could benefit us in cost as well? Any ideas, offers, or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd just call around and get a quote. You probably have a number of options in that area of the country. I was disappointed with my lack if options and prices much higher than I expected when I checked on charters a long time ago.

Last time I checked a jet charter roundtrip from Houston to L.A. it was going to be north of $50,000.00 so good luck.

Your best bet is probably a King Air or a Pilatus PC12.

Figure bare bones hourly rate of $1000, and probably closer to $2000 for a turboprop. Jets will be 2-3x that.

Figure bare bones hourly rate of $1000, and probably closer to $2000 for a turboprop. Jets will be 2-3x that.

Sounds about right.

I'd estimate about $8,000-10,000 for a turbo prop round trip or $12-15,000 for a jet. Could be more depending on how long the aircraft and crew sit around and wait for you.

Any advice on contacting a school or pilots that need to log hours that could benefit us in cost as well?
A couple problems with this idea as you have put it.

One, you will probably need at least three small 4 seat aircraft to haul 6-8 passengers and their bags. Two SR22s probably won't cut it.

Second, what you are asking for is not something a typical flight school or time-building pilot can legally do. They would need an appropriate operating certificate (121 or 135), which most do not.

Lots of flight schools do also operate 135 charters, but usually it's in different aircraft. If it's in the same aircraft used for training, the rates are _substantially_ higher than when they charge for dual in that plane.

You just might get some responses here from pilots willing to share expenses for the flight just to get the flight time. Might be kinda hard though to get it all put together with a group your size. Probably take 3 or 4 airplanes depending on how much baggage you have and getting the return trip coordinated would complicate it more. Any hot babes in your group? That would help.

Lots of flight schools do also operate 135 charters, but usually it's in different aircraft. If it's in the same aircraft used for training, the rates are _substantially_ higher than when they charge for dual in that plane.
Some do indeed, but I don't think you will find 'lots' of them with a 135 certificate.

What Mike said. Sick kids, puppy dogs and hot babes seem to spark generosity among pilots.

It might be easier to fly commercial from SFO to ONT. Lots of So Cal flight schools and private pilots making that jaunt out to the Colorado River area. The return flight may be more problematic. Maybe some of your friends hate flying small planes and may rent a couple cars and drive there. There is your backup plan for the trip back to ONT.

Back