Flying into OSH Airventure - Video

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hey Folks,

If you want to see the full arrival in all its glory, here it is! I flew down to Milwaukee to bring Troy in for his first trip to Airventure the way it oughtta be done. :smilewinkgrin: Bill Williams is in the back seat. I especially enjoyed the comment left on Vimeo by one of the Fisk controllers:

Troy! Please let Kent know that he did an excellent job of flying the procedure. I am the Fisk FAA Operations Supervisor during AirVenture and actually recall your flight in on Friday (you were the one letting us know about the crop duster). I want to compliment Kent on preparing for the VFR Arrival Procedure, his flying abilities and cockpit management. By the way, the procedure references that you embedded are from my web link :)

I would like to discuss the possibility of using this video in the 2009 (and beyond) controller briefing materials.

Cool! :D Here's the video:

Great vid. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome! I'm still doing the happy dance that a controller liked what I did. :yes: They have a lot of folks to deal with that don't do so well up there. :( So, I'm glad to be in the good-guy group.

So if your at Osh and you leave to pick up Troy or whomever how do you get back to your camp site? Are you allowed to speak with Ground or is it all just flag waving and do what the heck they tell you?

So if your at Osh and you leave to pick up Troy or whomever how do you get back to your camp site?
Yes. Not in the official NOTAM, but you can get back to where you need to go.

Are you allowed to speak with Ground or is it all just flag waving and do what the heck they tell you?
Most of the taxiing at OSH takes place in non-movement areas (ie, the grass next to the runways) that ground doesn't control anyways. It's almost all flag waving by the EAA volunteers....

So if your at Osh and you leave to pick up Troy or whomever how do you get back to your camp site? Are you allowed to speak with Ground or is it all just flag waving and do what the heck they tell you?

I put "ROW 123" or whatever on my GAC sign. That usually works OK. I did once have one of those people who thinks they're big and important and can't let anyone do anything that wasn't their idea come running toward the plane (which caused me to pull the mixture) and make me (and everyone behind me) sit there while he got someone to verify that there was in fact a tent set up in that row without a corresponding airplane, and get someone else to verify that it was OK to send me back there. :rolleyes: But usually, it's no problem at all.

I put "ROW 123" or whatever on my GAC sign. That usually works OK. I did once have one of those people who thinks they're big and important and can't let anyone do anything that wasn't their idea come running toward the plane (which caused me to pull the mixture) and make me (and everyone behind me) sit there while he got someone to verify that there was in fact a tent set up in that row without a corresponding airplane, and get someone else to verify that it was OK to send me back there. :rolleyes: But usually, it's no problem at all.

Yeah, but I do recall the traffic directors wanted to send you off to the south parking, and we had to explain to just about every freakin' one of them that you already had set up camp on the north side of the east-west runway. Remember when they sent us off the left side of runway 27, instead of the right? I can still hear you groan "NO, NO, NOOOOO..." as you anticipated that LONG LONG taxi around the south side, to the west end, then back east... ;)

THANKS AGAIN for the ride--it was GREAT to be able to FLY into OSH during my first visit to AirVenture!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Kent & Troy, great video. Thanks. I'm trying to snag a rental to fly into KOSH some time that week; the rest of the days I'll drive up.

If I have limited time, and would need to leave before the airshow begins, is that a tough thing to do with all the landing traffic? (If the answer is in the NOTAM, I haven't yet read it but should get it in the mail tomorrow.)

Finally, do you get a shirt or something for flying in the first time, or just massive satisfaction along with a mile-wide grin? :D

Fantastic vid guys! Thanks for post'n. :thumbsup:

I've been told that you need a sign that says "Returning to row xxx" and that this year you'll be asked to show your camping permit because several folks have used such a sign to get to a spot by their buddy who flew in earlier.

If I have limited time, and would need to leave before the airshow begins, is that a tough thing to do with all the landing traffic? (If the answer is in the NOTAM, I haven't yet read it but should get it in the mail tomorrow.)

I don't think departing before the airshow should be too much trouble, but don't expect to start up at 2:20 and get out before the field closes (at 2:30 IIRC). I would allow a good half hour - Depending on where you're parked you may have to taxi a while. But, they do an amazing job of getting people out - The last couple of days especially, when there's a lot of departures I would guess they launch a dozen planes a minute. (2 at a time from 2 runways, 20 seconds apart, roughly.)

Finally, do you get a shirt or something for flying in the first time, or just massive satisfaction along with a mile-wide grin? :D

Just the grins. :D

I've been told that you need a sign that says "Returning to row xxx" and that this year you'll be asked to show your camping permit because several folks have used such a sign to get to a spot by their buddy who flew in earlier.

Interesting. My camping permit lives on the tie-down. And really, if there's a spot next to your buddy, who cares if you use it? :dunno:

Back