Flying into ORD

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I may have to fly into ord later this month for business. My biz is at Signature Flight Services at ORD, If I don't fly I'll drive. I have a deal with Signature that I will not have to pay any of the fees to them so I am not asking about that at all. My question is getting the slot reservation and other issues with Chi-App to get in and any advise on ground ops there.

Also when I leave will I have to get a hold of metering first or is GA straight to clearence delivery and then ground?

Don't know what time you're going in, but after about 10PM you don't need a slot reservation, but you will need to be IFR. Basically, you don't get in there VFR. The slot reservation process is pretty simple, IIRC.

As far as leaving goes, I can't help much, since we never went to the FBO and just departed VFR after a shutdown in the runup area. As I recall, we came up on ground or maybe CD. I do know we didn't go through metering. It was about 2300 on a Saturday, though.

Don't know what time you're going in, but after about 10PM you don't need a slot reservation, but you will need to be IFR. Basically, you don't get in there VFR. The slot reservation process is pretty simple, IIRC.

As far as leaving goes, I can't help much, since we never went to the FBO and just departed VFR after a shutdown in the runup area. As I recall, we came up on ground or maybe CD. I do know we didn't go through metering. It was about 2300 on a Saturday, though.
I would be planning on arriving at around 6pm, busy hour!

I've gone into a couple pretty busy Class B airports and found calling ahead to the FBO and finding someone to discuss it with or with Approach has been very beneficial. I'd call the FBO and ask for tower and approach numbers and see if there's someone there that can give some advise. I wouldn't call tower or approach during the push hours, but have found them helpful other times. Sometimes they can give you tips about letting them know you can keep your speed up or you can take a visual from somewhere.

I'd do all I could to stay away from the morning or early evening push hours. I know a lot of airline folks that go in and out of there all the time; they all comment about how hectic it can be for a professional crew. OTOH, like Grant, I've gone into Houston Hobby late at night and had no issues at all (other than with customs). San Diego has worked me in a few times when I mentioned speed of 180 until short final and first right to Jim's Air.

Best,

Dave

If that does not work, you could ask for information from FSS.:blueplane:

After about 2-3AM you don't need to be IFR...at least once upon a time.

You might still get the landing fee bill.

I really doubt that you'd have to go IFR. Besides being obviously a violation of the rules, I doubt it's the case.

IME, this is simple. Go IFR so you have less of a workload, and just follow the ATIS. If I were to go to ORD, I would not overthink it. Know the taxi diagram.

I really doubt that you'd have to go IFR. Besides being obviously a violation of the rules, I doubt it's the case.

IME, this is simple. Go IFR so you have less of a workload, and just follow the ATIS. If I were to go to ORD, I would not overthink it. Know the taxi diagram.

We've had posts on VFR into ORD before. They actually have no idea how to handle it. Approach tells you to talk to tower and tower tells you to talk to approach, wash, rinse repeat.

What I've heard is, at least pre-9/11, approach will clear a VFR for touch and go at 2AM when it's dead. Kent and I were shocked to be let into the Bravo at 11PM on a Sunday.

We've had posts on VFR into ORD before. They actually have no idea how to handle it. Approach tells you to talk to tower and tower tells you to talk to approach, wash, rinse repeat.

What I've heard is, at least pre-9/11, approach will clear a VFR for touch and go at 2AM when it's dead. Kent and I were shocked to be let into the Bravo at 11PM on a Sunday.
What can I say - this has not been my experience. I don't have much exposure to Chi approach VFR, but there's something amiss here. I do think that it's imperative to fly a plane that can mingle with the other traffic speed-wise, but, given that, I doubt it's be much of a problem.

I usually go IFR, but PHL, SFO, and LGA were no problem VFR around 6:30pm. I bet the real issue that makes it impossible for approach is sub-170 planes at rush hour...

Oh Felix, you're SO new to C90 and ORD. Leslie talked to tower at ORD, and they told her that she basically had to come in on an IFR flight plan.

I will say that we managed to get VFR advisories out of C90 last Friday going to 68C! :yes:

Oh Felix, you're SO new to C90 and ORD. Leslie talked to tower at ORD, and they told her that she basically had to come in on an IFR flight plan.

I will say that we managed to get VFR advisories out of C90 last Friday going to 68C! :yes:

Felix doesn't get it. With time and enough contact he'll learn the customer focus of C90.

Agreed..go IFR and fly buisness as usual . I do know ground doesnt like you to stop..you just keep rolling for the most part.

I've got the Sporty's audio disc around here somewhere with recorded audio of an entire trip flying into O'Hare from Batavia, OH... if you're interested in hearing it, Scott, I'll make arrangements...

Back