Flying into O'Hare

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
On Sunday, Nov. 18th, I have to pick up a Lifeline patient at O'Hare and take her to Michigan. I've never flown in there before and it will be the busiest airport I've ever landed at (Got my fingers crossed its a VFR day:fcross:).

I know Grant & Leslie have done it before - I'm a little worried about the taxi instructions and finding my way around. I have printed off the taxi diagram but based on what I've observed as a passenger it looks very confusing.:hairraise:

Should I call and discuss with the tower first?

If it's an IFR day I assume I'll need an IFR slot?

Any and all advice appreciated!

On Sunday, Nov. 18th, I have to pick up a Lifeline patient at O'Hare and take her to Michigan. I've never flown in there before and it will be the busiest airport I've ever landed at (Got my fingers crossed its a VFR day:fcross:).

I know Grant & Leslie have done it before - I'm a little worried about the taxi instructions and finding my way around. I have printed off the taxi diagram but based on what I've observed as a passenger it looks very confusing.:hairraise:

Should I call and discuss with the tower first?

If it's an IFR day I assume I'll need an IFR slot?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Barry, where are you starting from? Do you have any extra seats?

I know where Greg's going -- you might do well to take another pilot along in the right seat to help handle radios and ground navigation. Even if that pilot isn't ORD-familiar, two heads are still better than one.

Greg, I'll be leaving from KDPA - DuPage County. I have two seats and about 220 pounds spare. If you want to come along you're more than welcome.

P.S. I suppose I could drive 40 minutes, pick her up and bring her back to DPA......but I really want to land at O'Hare!!!

Greg, I'll be leaving from KDPA - DuPage County. I have two seats and about 220 pounds spare. If you want to come along you're more than welcome.

P.S. I suppose I could drive 40 minutes, pick her up and bring her back to DPA......but I really want to land at O'Hare!!!
I've done this many times. ORD arrivals fall into TWO categories:
(1) I can give you 170 kts on the g/s
(2) I can't give you 170 kts on the g/s

I would not go in there VFR. I would file FROM THE GROUND at DPA to ORD. They HATE VFR addons. For cost, you might as well drive, though it is a riot worth doing ONCE. I only go there when I have to pick up a visitor, an inlaw, etc.

If (1), its like any other airport. You get sequenced to the Localizer and you join the chute with everybody else.

If (2) you get put into a hold someplace until there is a little break in the action. Then you get slam/dunked. On the surface, turn off As QUICKLY as possible unless instructed to roll to the end....which is almost NEVER. Adhere tightly to the taxi diagram. The taxi clearance comes lightning fast, so write is ON the taxi plate.

There is only ONE FBO, Signature. The security fee is $38.00 for screeing you pax (you pay). The ramp fee is NOT waived, and it's $50.00 unless you by 20 gallons of outrageously priced fuel. If you sen me your email again, Barry, I can send you the Jepp versions of the airport diagrams. Signature is OVER the bridge on the NE side.

My advice: DRIVE.

Last edited:
Bruce, they would still charge all those fees to a Lifeline flight? Most airports I know waive it.

We've had really VARIABLE luck with Signatures. Call in advance. It might be worth $85 for you to try to do this.....but it does add up quickly. Typically, my inlaws only arrive during prime rush time, when the road from PWK is impassible. They have Zero idea what an inconvenience it is....or a cost. At 6:00 p.m. the fees are worth it to me, but at any other time, I drive from PWK to ORD and back to PWK. 06C also works if it's VFR.

You'll get sent to INDDY or GRETI (see the ILS 32R & L plates) tomorrow; that's what they'll be landing.

I would have the patient take a cab to Schaumburg and fly in there...Wait! They have a courtesy van! It would be a drive of 20 minutes or so, right down Irving Elgin/O'Hare expressway.

Hi, Barry. Some good advice posted here; driving could be a better option, but... based on our magic carpet ride, a few tips that may be useful if you're heading to the Big O...

- Plan to file IFR, even if it's severe VFR outside. In my conversation with the tower chief the afternoon before our flight, he noted that for all intensive purposes, the tower doesn't work with any traffic that doesn't come to them through TRACON, primarily for the sequencing issue; that means filing to get in.

- On the subject of sequencing: don't be surprised if they actually have you complete the approach as filed, even if there's no IMC to speak of. When we came in, it was a really clear night, and I half expected to get the visual for a smaller runway, given that they knew our plans. But, the one runway open for traffic that night was 14R, and the tower put everyone, including us, on the ILS for that runway. (I'd have to look back at the film to see how fast I was going on that glideslope; 'keep your speed up' doesn't mesh too well with my instructor's voice in my head saying "have the plane stabilized at 90 knots by the final approach fix"... )

- IFR slots: ORD still has the slot system in place for all unscheduled IFR arrivals during times when people usually land there. Doesn't cost anything to file, I'll look for the FAA link where you get a password and ID to make the request (if someone else has it, feel free to post). This was the one requirement that we were able to avoid, given the day of week and time of night we were coming in. If you're picking someone up during 'normal people' hours, you'll get a reservation number of sorts that should be included in your flight plan. There are a certain number of slots per hour that are allowed; the website will tell you how many, and all that good stuff.

- On taxiing: DEFINITELY have a second pilot in the plane to assist with radios and taxiing, particulaly if you're going to gates, etc. In addition to the layout, I found that while it was easy for me to see turnoffs when I was flying commercial, those same turnoffs weren't always as distinct when you're closer to the ground in a smaller plane. (Not to mention the brief but present "Holy Crap! I'm actually on the ground at O'Hare!!" mental mindset; a second set of gray matter at that moment will be quite beneficial.) I also printed a full-size page of the taxi diagram to take with, was very helpful.

No experience with Signature at O'Hare, so can't speak to their willingness to waive/reduce fees for compassionate flights.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer anything else.

(And yes, it is pretty dang cool to precede a 747 in the takeoff line.... "I'm small, but I'm ahead of you...." :D)

Leslie

When we do Angel Flights into KBOS all costs are waived with the Angel Flight East Paper work.

Barry,

I can't tell you whether IFR or VFR would be better... IFR you will need a slot reservation. VFR, they can get... Well, a bit confused. Story follows...

My CFII said:
Saturday I took two of the charter pilots down to O'Hare to
pickup a Citation.

I'm thinking... today (yesterday), finally I'll get VFR service
out of chicago approach -- because I'm landing in the middle of
their airspace. Beautiful VFR day, the traffic level at O'Hare
is pretty low, not much workload at all.

Flying down from RYV (Watertown), pick up the O'Hare ATIS (which
is quite long, by a hard-to-understand digitized voice).
Already had the Freq for Approach, crank it in ...

Chicago Approach
Arrow 33006
Lake Geneva, 3500
Landing O'Hare
with November

Chicago approach comes back with "We don't have time to deal with
you, just call O'Hare tower on xxx.yy". [ That isn't unheard of,
that is what they do to the VFR traffic into Midway -- MDW tower
takes care of all of it. ] Call O'Hare tower. They are "well
we can't let you into the airspace because we can't sequence you
any. Try approach on ZZZ.ww". Try that approach (different from
the first). They say try O'hare tower on a different Freq. That
turns out to be the S. O'Hare tower freq. They put us back to a
different approach freq. Who tells us to go somewhere else. ...
Someone tells us to just keep on coming closer, and maybe the tower
can deal with us when we are closer in. Well, the problem is that
I'm running out of room.

Finally I call back the first tower freq, the only people who have
actually had the time to talk to us. They tell us to remain
clear of the class-B. So, I've been doing that, but now I start
circling about 15 out. Get back with tower, explain that they
and approach are playing ping-pong with us. They explain again
that I have to talk to approach to sequence us into the airport,
because they can't do it. The tower guy tells us to stand by, he
is going to explain it to to the supervisor, see what can be worked
out.

After a while, someone got something worked out, tower calls back,
tells us to switch to approach (the first approach controller, I
called) who issues a B clearance, and a RV after a while. Finally.
Dave was like "faster would be better now" as I was already cranking back
up to cruise speed ... we've only been circling for ~10 minutes
and the flight started 20 late.

Even at full cruise in the Arrow (135 kts) it takes a long time for
the pieces of pavement at O'Hare to grow larger ... because they
are already so large. Crank onto a two mile final for 9L, watching
a 747 P&H on 32L, traffic departing ahead of us, etc. Land quite
long since signature is at the far end of 9L. Tower crosses us
over 32R, and taxies us to the ramp, doesn't bother with ground.

Its OK, we even beat the incoming citation by 5 minutes.

Going back out of Chicago was OK, here are a couple of notes.

Called up clearance, they just gave me a transponder code, said the
tower would work everything else out (does that sound familiar or
what :). Talk to ground metering.

Ground metering is like clearance delivery for ground control.
It gets you in the queue so they can figure out how to put you
in the ground traffic flow. I call them up, ready to taxi at Signature,
November, etc., Instead of the "monitor ground" they say ... "call me
back on the west edge of the ramp". Ok, that's different from the
other ground metering traffic ...

OK, taxi out to the west edge of the ramp, in the non-movement area
to where the taxi line splits to the lead for V and something else.
They see 006, "hold short of V, monitor ground .x", so I shunt to
that taxi line, and get the runup done... and monitor ground. OK,
ground gets to me after a few. V to 32R, good deal, no scenic
tour. Get there, hold short, monitor tower. Tower gets to me
after a while says to have patience, it will still take a few.
After a while they issue a P&H clearance, and tell me to expect a
5-6 minute delay on the runway. Again, a "just wait" once or
twice from them.

So, sitting out there, finally they give me a clearance like you
would get from clearance delivery, while P&H. Then they are oops
... did clearance give you a squawk? so I just did a full readback
on the CRAFT and they were relieved. Drive straight west out of
the B, remain low, and go. After a while, switch to departure.
Who totally ignores me so I keep on the RV. Tell tower unable
departure, they say try again. Radar finally talks to me, says
remain out of the B, do whatever I want. Finally I get up by Lake
Geneva, ask to terminate Radar, and they are like go away. Arrghg.

I used to think the controllers at Chicago were too busy to deal
with VFR traffic. Now I just think that they don't know how to
deal with it, as in they don't have much use for that part of their
skill. They are very good, pleasant to work with, but I think
the VFR traffic just throws them for a loop .. because 99.9% of
their traffic is IFR.

Just file IFR to Chicago, even on a low-traffic CAVU day.

ps: Other notes

Dave pointed out that they want you holding short _way_ back from
the hold-short line. They have a 3-side taxi centerline the last
30-50 feet or so, best to stop before the 3wide starts.

Print out the full-size 8.5x11 PDF of the airport diagram. I did
because I didn't know where signature was; wanted to plan on how
to get to get there before leaving the ground at RYV. The full-size
diagram makes taxiing at O'Hare a lot easier. The ground is so
complex that the IAP fulls-zie airport diagram is too small to
follow and use in a timely fashion. If I still had my Jepp
subscription I wouldn't have needed it, Jepp has a better large
scale diagram foldout in their book.

O'hare is a model of signage and lighting. It is easy to wonder
where you are at MKE Milwaukee Mitchell in some places. It is
designed for cockpits higher up in the air than ours. O'Hare was
easy to keep track of, they have the concrete markings, the
lights/signs.

Listening to the tower and ground controllers at O'Hare, they were
quite accommodating to everyone. Quite willing to use pilots
suggestions on better routings for their wheel loadings and wing
spans, moving airplanes around to minimize delay, but not penalizing
aircraft that were having problems which were holding them up.
Impromtu circle and land clearances, good traffic call-outs, even
when taxiing.

Leave the knives and the keys in the airplane when going
to O'Hare, they screen everything at signature. Also take ID
in so you can get back out. Nice line guys, $45 or so landing and
handling fee. Free cookies and coffee/chcoolate/espresso.

What I'd add: Get in your plane and get practice going down the ILS at full rental power, clean (see how fast you're going in the descent so you know how much speed you can give 'em), and figure out how long it takes you (measured in vertical feet) to go from the fast, clean descent on the glideslope to pulling power, flat prop, drop the gear at Vle, extend all your flaps at Vfe, and get down to landing speed. Then practice doing just that at whatever number of feet AGL. Now, you'll have the skills needed to get in fast yet land on the numbers and get the heck off the runway. (This is a useful skill to have in other places too. :yes:)

Finally, if you want, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with one of the tower controllers at ORD.

My CFI used to work at Signature, I'll call him tomorrow and find out.....

When we do Angel Flights into KBOS all costs are waived with the Angel Flight East Paper work.

- Plan to file IFR, even if it's severe VFR outside. In my conversation with the tower chief the afternoon before our flight, he noted that for all intensive purposes, the tower doesn't work with any traffic that doesn't come to them through TRACON, primarily for the sequencing issue; that means filing to get in.

Huh? VFR traffic has to talk to a TRACON before getting into any B or C as well, you don't need to file to talk to them... :dunno:

Huh? VFR traffic has to talk to a TRACON before getting into any B or C as well, you don't need to file to talk to them... :dunno:
Kent, you have no idea. They make their own rules. Play by them or you don't play. REALLY. Just file IFR and go in IFR. Then they can't dump you.....they can't cancel your IFR unless you request it, which would be very very silly.

As in, "Weeeee can't HEAR YOU!"

Last edited:
Kent, you have no idea. They make their own rules. Play by them or you don't play. REALLY. Just file IFR and go in IFR. Then they can't dump you.....they can't cancel your IFR unless you request it, which would be very very silly.

As in, "Weeeee can't HEAR YOU!"

I do have an idea... I do fly around there plenty and I know what you're saying, but I've been through the ORD Bravo twice in the past 6 months, one of which was VFR, and see the quoted story from my CFII about landing there (he was VFR). I do agree that they really are a pain in the butt most of the time...

However, I think that it's probably a lot easier for them to just let you in if you're trying to land there rather than having to repeatedly tell you to go away. (Just be sure to take full fuel!) Squeaky wheel and all...

I do have an idea... I do fly around there plenty and I know what you're saying, but I've been through the ORD Bravo twice in the past 6 months, one of which was VFR, and see the quoted story from my CFII about landing there (he was VFR). I do agree that they really are a pain in the butt most of the time...

However, I think that it's probably a lot easier for them to just let you in if you're trying to land there rather than having to repeatedly tell you to go away. (Just be sure to take full fuel!) Squeaky wheel and all...
I've been into ORD (Signature) 17 times now (wife's family is from NYC). About three years ago I got into the appcon first - tower first -appcon first -tower first battle. I just landed at PWK and rented a car. I Certified Return receipted the tower and got ignored. That was all on my dime.

Now I just say, sc__w it and file IFR - except when my destination is PWK, then it's IFR until PLANO, cancel and thank you very much....and use my eyes and TIS to get me there.

C90, land of "I told you to climb (incidentally into Bravo but did not clear you into Bravo) and are you going to do it?" They don't do VFR very well at C90! ...as in they have forgotten.

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to think about this - Is the fuss worth the fun! I wouldn't fly into Schaumberg or PWK as it takes me 40 minutes to drive from the house in my own car - I could just drive over and pick her up, bring her back to DuPage and fly from there.

But damn, always wanted to taxi into the lineup between two 747's!:D

I think they key will be what time - so far all I know is the day.

I say, lure Greg to join you, and go. He'll fit under your 220 lb allowance. Right???

Barry - sounds like you have a good deal of input to consider here.

(A point of clarification: When I relayed what I was told about having to file and talk to TRACON to get in, which generated this response:

What I was referring to was specifically getting into ORD with the intent of landing there without confusion or delays, as opposed to transiting through the class B space, or potentially getting into the VFR ping-pong game that was described. In our case, I'd told the tower chief our tail number and approximate time of arrival (which was close to the end of his shift), so he could have someone watch for us; I didn't want to be too far off from that time).

Regardless, you're right in that timing and schedules will play a large role in your decision. If you have to be there at a specified time (not sure if this is part of a multi-leg mission), filing may be your preferred choice. From Kent's message, it sounds like VFR is possible, but allow time in your schedule (and fuel tanks) for a potential delay prior to landing.

Either way you go, I do vote for having an additional set of eyes for ground taxiing and navigation, and second Spike's recommendation to have Greg accompany you if possible.

Leslie

No call back from my CFI yet. Either way, I'll know later this evening, as I have a lesson with him at 5....

Hey, if you do file, do so as Compassion Flight. You're qualified when you're going in to do a pickup, and it can't hurt. And I agree with just about everything Leslie said. Have a second pilot if at all possible and file IFR. It's a lot less hassle, and removes some of the uncertainty, which you really don't need.

As an afterthought to all of this, I virtually never fly into the major airspace without filing IFR- there is, to my way of thinking, no down-side to filing IFR, and you are treated as necessary traffic.

If the weather is good VFR-type weather, there is no material delay, and the vectoring you get in the terminal area is essentially the same as you'd get as VFR traffic in a busy terminal area, anyway, the principal difference being, "...unable at this time, radar services terminated, squawk VFR and remain clear of the class Bravo airspace..." is not a part of the available lexicon for the controllers.

If I am going to an unfamiliar destination, it sure helps with the whole finding the airport thing, and in familiar airspace, if I spot the field in time (usually do), I can often be rewarded with a visual approach anyway.

Like I say, no down-side to me.

Whenever I fly in busy airspace (which is any time I want to leave here), my motto is "don't be noticed". If you sound just like all the other guys (in other words, like you're really bored and half asleep) and you can fly those magic 170 knots, nobody will care that you're not a 747. You'll get bonus points if they have to ask you to slow down :)

If you do get noticed, it's much less fun, and less convenient.

-Felix

Last edited:
Whenever I fly in busy airspace (which is any time I want to leave here), my motto is "don't be noticed". If you sound just like all the other guys (in other words, like you're really bored and half asleep) and you can fly those magic 170 knots, nobody will care that you're not a 747. You'll get bonus points if they have to ask you to slow down :)

If you do get noticed, it's much less fun, and less convenient.

-Felix
Felix, that's a very nice summary of the situation at ORD.

Dammit - Just got the paperwork. The original request didn't have time of flight and I was operating under the assumption it would be the morning as are most flights allowing me to fly in daylight. Now she's coming into ORD commercial and not scheduled to arrive until 4:10pm (which being O'Hare probably means 4:30pm - 5:00pm). Even if she arrives on time, by the time she gets her luggage, I pick her up and drive back to DPA it'll be at least 5:30pm - pitch black that time of year.

Two things I don't like, 1) unless absolutely clear skies I don't like flying at night in winter; 2) makes for a late night when I get up at 4:00am to go to work the next morning - so I'll probably cancel now.

I'm sorry, I was incorrect. My CFI used to be a ramp controller at ORD, and his call sign was "Signature TWR," however, he had nothing to do with GA, sorry:(

Hey Ya'll,
(First post so go easy).
Anywho as a controller at the 6th busiest airport, I would recommend IFR like everyone has said. (IF you MUST fly into ORD). Not to be rude, but when Im at work, I dont like working pistons unless you do 170kts or greater (as said above) down the localizer. Now if we're dead (which does happen from time to time) then no big deal.

1. Dont go in VFR under any circumstances
2. Take a right seater (preferably someone with big airports experience)
3. Act calm and be short on your replies. ("Over to the ramp, alpha, echo 1., 2 Papa Alpha" etc.)
4. Keep a taxi map handy and study it prior to flying in
5. Have fun

If you do go in, and really P'o the controller, call up afterwards and thank the tower for their help and give any apologies if needed. (This will go a long way towards keeping FSDO paperwork from being filed lol). If you are going in and want some questions answered, I know a few guys at Chicago TRAC and ORD Tower. I'll ask around for ya. Feel free to email me.

Clint

Clint!! Great to have you on this board, buddy! Thanks for responding.

Clint,
Welcome to the board, and thanks for the view "from the other side!"

This board tends to be friendlier than many others out there, so sit back and stay a while!

I'm sorry, I was incorrect. My CFI used to be a ramp controller at ORD, and his call sign was "Signature TWR," however, he had nothing to do with GA, sorry:(
Signature TWR and Signature Ramp are ATC positions at ORD but not necessarily at the Signature FBO nor exclusive to GA. They have other parts of the field that is under their control as well as the GA ramp by the FBO.

Back