Flying into New Orleans

LevelWing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LevelWing
I'll be flying through that area and may have a few days to spend in New Orleans. I'm curious what the best airport to land at is and if their fees are reasonable. I've never been there so an airport that's close to the French Quarter and some of the more notable landmarks would be great. I'll likely end up with a rental car for a few days so getting around shouldn't be an issue (if not a rental car than an Uber). Any recommendations on airport and things to do/places to see?

Only place ive been around that area was NEW. Nice facility. Not sure on the cost of fees. It was for work and the pax paid.

The approach over the water is nice.

I know this was a useless post, but i will admit that the cookies at the FBO were pretty good.

NEW is great- easy in and out.

Lakefront indeed. Check out the World War 2 museum, Aquarium of the America's, Saints game, begniets at Cafe du Monde.

Use Flightline First at NEW and just contact NO Approach and they are really good about routing you through the Class B into Lakefront. Aircraft Parking is 10 bucks a night and private cab is $25 anywhere downtown/FQ and the published rate for a regular cab is $22 to for the same (Stickered on the door) but you may have to point it out to the driver.

Cafe du Monde is fine and all that for the touristy masses..... But I would recommend Cafe Beignet on Royal Street instead.

KNEW is great. If you'll be staying in town (and you should), forget a rental car. Take a cab.

I just spent 4 days there. Stayed in the Garden District and spent most of the time around there, The Quarter, Frenchman Street, and even the Pats-Saints game at the Super Dome. Never needed or wanted a rental car. Flying GA, KNEW is the way to go. I prefer Flightline First as an FBO.

Flew into Lakefront in Feb 2014, so comments are a bit old. Can't remember FBO, but despite a ton of corporate stuff, my Cirrus was treated nicely and w/ respect. FBO was adjacent to a street, if that helps. Flew IFR, so no hassles w/ airspace. It was a "mass flight" of 1 Cirrus, 4 172's and an Aztec, all from Chicago DuPage, so we hopped into two shuttle taxis. Would not recommend a rental car -- where would you park it, esp. in the Quarter? Mr. B's Bistro for BBQ Shrimp and Mothers for red beans and rice.

I was just there a week ago. Flew into KNEW and left the plane at flightline first. They were great, and though I cant remember the fees since everything has become a blur on this trip I remember they were reasonable and they also got us a good rate on a rental car they had right there. If you're just gonna stay in the city use cabs. Our hotel charged $29 per night for parking on top of the room rate. HOWEVER it was totally worth it because we used the car to get out to where we caught our airboat ride, which was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

The french quarter was cool....for a sloppy drunken mess. The city was a dirty old city, with cool stuff to walk around and look at, but the airboat ride was freaking cool as hell. We weren't originally planning on spending more than a night in NOLA and ended up deciding to take the time just to do the airboat ride. Between the rental car, parking, hotel room and the actual cost of the ride that was probably close to a $400 decision AND IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!

As others have said, Lakefront (KNEW). They give you a beer after you shut down! Forget about a car; NO is a great walking city. It used to have better public transport, but the flooding wiped a bunch of that out. See the French Quarter to say you've done that, then hop the street car and get around a bit. Few better cities for food! If you want to do the airboat ride, use Uber, a taxi, or rent a car for just a few hours.

I haven't been to NEW Lakefront in a couple of years, but it's easy in and out with lots of ramp space and not that far from downtown. We drove to Canal St where we stayed, but everywhere else I walked.
Take one of the street cars to the end of the line and back, and enjoy the view of beautiful homes and a college. Just across the street from the National WWII Museum, 10 blocks off Canal, is a Civil War Museum, a small red brick building with lots of Confederate items, something us northern boys don't usually see.

Go see Bourbon St once at night, that's enough. At night I think it's kind of a cesspool, strip clubs and overly loud music and cheap beer and the kinds of morons that attracts. Go even one block off Bourbon and the whole atmosphere changes, plenty of shops, galleries and restaurants. Walk up to Jackson Square on Decatur St., that's where some of the horse carriages for hire are.

One other thing that bears mentioning: if you are landing on 18 L or 18 R, which is common with the prevailing winds, you will find your approach is over Lake Pontchartrain, which is a very large "Lake," and almost always in hazy conditions. You will find that the approaches remarkably devoid of visual references, and the horizon references often very indistinct. It can be very disorienting.

Nothing that cannot be handled, but it is good to be prepared.

I'm a local. I agree KNEW is the way to go. Note that we lost two GA flyers in the Lake not long ago. Do hit the WWII museum, especially the recently completed Freedom Pavilion. I do like Cafe du Monde. It has always been a little touristy, but the locals are there too. Soak up the vibe of the French Quarter, Jackson Square, the Cabildo, St Louis Cathedral, and the Might Mississippi, all at once. Do be careful. There have been a lot of murders and carjackings lately, even in traditionally "safe" areas. Good restaurants: Boca, Patois, Luke, Feelings, Clancy's. Your cabbie will know where they are. Have a great visit!.

I believe it was Mr. Spike Cutler who recommended a meal at Galatoire's, a fine, old New Orleans restaurant in the French Quarter.

I had to get a second mortgage on the hotel to finance it, but that dinner remains the best restaurant experience of our lives, and the best piece of beef we have ever tasted.

They earned my highest recommend dating in NOLA.
http://www.galatoires.com/home

If you like good restaurants, check out Commander's Palace in the Garden District...

There have been a lot of murders and carjackings lately, even in traditionally "safe" areas.

When SIGGRAPH was in New Orleans, the information booklet warned not to leave certain areas as they were unsafe. Just seems odd to me that this would be known and still have a convention anyway, but there you go.

When SIGGRAPH was in New Orleans, the information booklet warned not to leave certain areas as they were unsafe. Just seems odd to me that this would be known and still have a convention anyway, but there you go.

Yes, it was once easier to stick to safer areas (uptown, garden district, university section, Audubon Park, City Park). There were armed robberies in the university section last night and the night before. Spate of carjackings in the last few weeks. uptownmessenger.com has the 411. Off the beaten path (like down side streets off the French Quarter), mugging is a distinct possibility. New Orleanians generally take it in stride.

Skip Bourbon and go to Frenchmen's St. Spotted Cat, etc. Much better music and food. Jambalaya at Coop's is not to be missed but go early.

If you like good restaurants, check out Commander's Palace in the Garden District...
Yes, Commander's Palace is not to be missed. Order the Cafe Brulot. It's not on the menu. Order it anyway.

Don't forget to pack a jacket and tie. Some places require them (e.g. Commander's Palace and Gallatoire's).

There is a LOT of good food in NO.

I love that city. Lots of good food and music!! We go every year.

If you are near Jackson Sq. at lunch and want a great sandwich. Go to the Central Grocery on Decatur St. and get their Muffuletta.

We like the Palace Cafe on Canal St. for dinner. You will need a reservation.

Have Fun!!

Thanks for all the recommendations. It should be a lot of fun and it's a city I've never been to. It's also not peak party season from what I understand so I'm sure there's deals to be had on hotels.

Thanks for all the recommendations. It should be a lot of fun and it's a city I've never been to. It's also not peak party season from what I understand so I'm sure there's deals to be had on hotels.
Try the Monteleon Hotel, in the French Quarter. It's a cool, old, independent (friends don't let friends stay at chain hotels!) hotel, with a wonderful New Orleans vibe, a rotating bar, and it is within walking distance of everything. We loved it.

Here's a secret hotel trick: (Don't tell anyone!)

First, find your best deal on line. Then call the hotel (NOT the booking number, which might get you someone in Delhi) and ask for the manager. Tell him you're flying in, his hotel comes highly recommended, you want to stay there -- and offer him 10% less than the on line rate.

If he declines, he's not really a manager (they will pay the online company 15%, so the hotel will make MORE money by giving you a mere 10% break), and you then ask for his boss. Continue until you find the guy who actually writes the checks.

You can buy me a beer when you come stay at Amelia's Landing with some of the money you save.
;)

Another vote for Lakefront. Even though I parked at the fancy FBO (can't remember the name), it was very reasonably priced.

First, find your best deal on line. Then call the hotel (NOT the booking number, which might get you someone in Delhi) and ask for the manager. Tell him you're flying in, his hotel comes highly recommended, you want to stay there -- and offer him 10% less than the on line rate.

...and then get put into the worst room in the house. You know, the one next to the lobby and the elevator.

;)

If you want to do the airboat ride, use Uber, a taxi, or rent a car for just a few hours.

The problem we found with this is that the airboat ride place is 45miles outside the city in a pretty rural area. A taxi or Uber would be more expensive than a days rental car IF you could even get them to take you.....much less pick you back up.

In our case the airboat ride added an extra day of hotel, 2 days of rental car, 2 days of parking, plus the actual cost of the ride. Afterwards we both agreed that the extra time and money was well spent.

Last time we went, we rented a car at the hotel to do a day trip. Much cheaper than parking.

Back