Flying into KTUS

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I'm going to be flying into KTUS (Tucson International Airport) for the first time this weekend. I'll just be in Tucson for a few hours. It looks like there are two main FBO's there for parking and fuel. They are Atlantic and Premier Aviation. Does anyone have experience with either of them? Any recommendations? Also, I can't tell, is there free transient parking available?

This will be the largest airport I've ever flown into so I'm trying to make sure I have all the ground operations straitened out ahead of time.

:yeahthat: @Timbeck2 works the tower there @azpilot , get ya a tower tour by the grand master controller while you're there. Think he bases his bird there too.

Atlantic or Million Air. I think Million Air charged $15 and is by my hangar.

I thought he was a controller at the AFB next door not at KTUS

Maybe, I dunno, even though Tim probably told me. But I'm old, so there's my excuse. Might be a combined tower w/ FAA and DOD controllers up there, and some Air Force controllers thrown in too. That'd be a trip, controllers in one tower from three different agencies.

edit: Senior moment! Yee ha! I remember, yes, he's works at Davis-Mountin AFB. So, @azblackbird fuhgetboutit. ;)

Simple. No problem. Just be ready to get detailed taxi instructions and pay attention.

Not a huge deal. Been in and out of there many times in the Comanche.

Simple. No problem. Just be ready to get detailed taxi instructions and pay attention.

Not a huge deal. Been in and out of there many times in the Comanche.

Not too detailed. Just get the taxi diagram out. Alpha, Delta is all you'll get if you go to Atlantic or the Jet Center. Alpha, Delta, Delta One and cross rwy 21 if you go to Million Air. Nuttin' to it. If you go to million air, walk out and look down the long row of hangars located in two buildings, if you see a white Ford pickup on the South side of those buildings and my hangar is open, walk down and say hi.

Thank you all for the feedback
Not too detailed. Just get the taxi diagram out. Alpha, Delta is all you'll get if you go to Atlantic or the Jet Center. Alpha, Delta, Delta One and cross rwy 21 if you go to Million Air. Nuttin' to it. If you go to million air, walk out and look down the long row of hangars located in two buildings, if you see a white Ford pickup on the South side of those buildings and my hangar is open, walk down and say hi.
And if I see that white Ford pickup, I will! ;)

Hey everyone, I ended up making the flight down to KTUS this evening. The flight was pretty easy. I-10 sticks out like a sore thumb and you just follow it. I was actually pretty happy to see that from the city lights down in Tucson are basically visible shortly after takeoff from KCHD.

Approach asked me where I was going before they even had me switch over to tower. I had decided on Million Air as it had the most convenient location. Tower asked me if I wanted to switch to runway 3 for convenience, but by this point, I already had in my head that I was landing on 29R per earlier instructions, so I let tower know I'd stick with 29R. Upon landing, tower had me taxi down 29R, then taxi on runway 3 over to D1. This was very convenient.

Thank you everyone for your input. The people at Million Air were great. My wife and I were able to head into downtown Tucson for a pair of $200 hamburgers (they're definitely not $100 hamburgers anymore) and then flew back to Chandler.

I was there from 3 to about 6 pm. I guess you got there later.

So was I right, your concerns were largely unfounded about class C? Truthfully, I've have more issues flying in and out of Chandler than I ever have had out of Tucson. I'm not a big fan of Class D, especially those under Class B.

I was there from 3 to about 6 pm. I guess you got there later.

So was I right, your concerns were largely unfounded about class C? Truthfully, I've have more issues flying in and out of Chandler than I ever have had out of Tucson. I'm not a big fan of Class D, especially those under Class B.
Ya, we got there after 8:00.

And yes, the Class Charlie was pretty simple to deal with. I came in on flight following, so it was basically just like landing back home at KCHD.

As for the departure, the ATIS tells you to contact Clearance/Delivery first, so that was easy. We departed after 10:00 PM, so it was pretty quiet. I believe the same guy was working Clearance/Delivery and ground. On top of that, I didn't even need taxi instructions since I was departing 21 from D1 on the north side. Piece of cake!

Back