Flying into KEWR

Jps19602002@mac.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bruuce
Has anyone had experience flying into EWR as GA? Should I file IFR to avoid getting ignored? I need to drop off some passengers who need to connect to commercial flights. How much time should I allow for potential delays? Would it be smarter to fly into Linden and then have them cab over to the terminals?

While I've never flown into EWR, I do have good experience at several other major airports. I always file IFR, and have never had any real problem with delays getting in, even at ORD. I would not attempt it VFR. Partially for the potential for great delays, and partially because I'm much more comfortable flying IFR. It's just what I do most. You should consider though, will any ramp fees or landing fees offset the convenience of landing at EWR, and will the FBO give them a ride to the airline side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Haven't flown into EWR, flown into the other two bravos in NY a number of times. I recommend you file IFR so they expect you.
Call the FBO in advance and find out the prices, landing and ramps fees alone may cost you more than the flight itself.

I wouldn't recommend going into LDJ. MMU or CDW will be better.

Are we talking a Cessna 172 or a Columbia 400? Ease of arrival will depend on how fast you can fly the approach. Letting ATC know you can keep 170kts true to the outer marker will make it easier for them to work you in traffic than putting along at 90kts. Other than that, it's just another class B with the congestion and expenses that go with it.

Given the right wind conditions or light winds, if EWR was doing their usual thing on 4/22, is tower willing clear light planes to land on 11 with LAHSO of 4L/22R; and/or Romeo intersection departure on 29? Looks like 5,700 ft. of runway available, and GenAv parking in on the north side of the field anyway.

Been there just once. Late arrival, early departure. I lucked out, it was really simple.

Sorry for incomplete info. I am a A36 Bonanza and can keep 150-165 until OM if it's not more than light chop. For the reply that suggested against LDJ Linden, why. It's real close and I don't have to fight for a spot in line with the big boys.

Never even thought of doing this but I'll add this. I drove past Newark on the New Jersey Turnpike two days ago around 600pm. Literally I would say 40 planes were lined up for takeoff. If you go during peak time you may need to return to the FBO to re-fuel given how long you could potentially wait to take off.

We used to fly into EWR regularly on charters. It's expensive, but easy. Understand they want you to be fast, so be as fast as you can. File IFR, and be on your A game, things go quick in NYC.

Linden is a quick cab ride and makes a good option if there's ground delays that make it hard to get into EWR. I had one situation where flying to EWR was a 2 hour ground stop, but LDJ I got off the ground immediately. I called Laurie and asked if she could catch a cab to Linden, and was easy in and out to pick her up there.

No real advice to give other than the controllers are great. Here are a couple shots from when I did the Hudson corridor and exited to the west directly over EWR. The controller told me to fly directly over the numbers for 22 at 2000, I think it was.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10522043_10152180642680846_254189829006006697_n.jpg
    10522043_10152180642680846_254189829006006697_n.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 10505433_10152180642660846_7473450403117093852_n.jpg
    10505433_10152180642660846_7473450403117093852_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 176
Sorry for incomplete info. I am a A36 Bonanza and can keep 150-165 until OM if it's not more than light chop. For the reply that suggested against LDJ Linden, why. It's real close and I don't have to fight for a spot in line with the big boys.

It's jammed under EWR's airspace, bravo starts at 700ft AGL. There is absolutely no emergency landings sports, if you lose the engine expect to end up in somebody's living room. After you do land, there won't be any services on the field, don't think there is even a real FBO there (there wasn't one last time I've been there).

It's jammed under EWR's airspace, bravo starts at 700ft AGL. There is absolutely no emergency landings sports, if you lose the engine expect to end up in somebody's living room. After you do land, there won't be any services on the field, don't think there is even a real FBO there (there wasn't one last time I've been there).

Airnav says they have an FBO with well-reviewed service. A $15 landing fee waived with 25 gallon purchase. Current fuel price $6.90. If he's going IFR the bravo floor is irrelevant.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLDJ

Airnav says they have an FBO with well-reviewed service. A $15 landing fee waived with 25 gallon purchase. Current fuel price $6.90. If he's going IFR the bravo floor is irrelevant.

Yeah but that FBO is just a front desk with some chairs and a bit of fuel. I don't remember there being a pilot lounge or a crew car (the reviews seem to confirm the crew car).
Either way, if there was a million air at the field, I still would avoid flying there.

No real advice to give other than the controllers are great. Here are a couple shots from when I did the Hudson corridor and exited to the west directly over EWR. The controller told me to fly directly over the numbers for 22 at 2000, I think it was.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I think I see my old ride...

Well, the opportunity presented itself - wanted to get some good friends from Pgh to KEWR to catch a flight to Zurich and avoid the 5-7 hour drive. A 25+knot tailwind insured a short flight. I resisted and considered KCDW which I'm familiar with, or Linden which I'm not. But in the end, this was the excuse that justified the expense. There was enough IMC at takeoff to show what it was about but KEWR was 3500 scattered with showers and eventually t-storms - but no problem.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N215TG/history/20140831/1530Z/KAGC/KEWR
We used to fly into EWR regularly on charters. It's expensive, but easy. Understand they want you to be fast, so be as fast as you can. File IFR, and be on your A game, things go quick in NYC.
I filed, I was fast and I stayed on my A game. All was required. I was asked what speed I could do. I said 155knots but on descent I just kept it firewalled. I thought the Sunday of a holiday weekend might be lighter than usual but it wasn't. The controllers were in total shake and bake mode and vectored all incoming to 22L. After I intercepted the Localizer and started down I was asked how much HP my RV had, "260" I said and he said "that explains it" as I took over from the overtaxed AP. Doesn't get better than that for a homebuilt. Greased it with a 50knot xwind at the FAF and 25 at touchdown.
Yeah but that FBO is just a front desk with some chairs and a bit of fuel. I don't remember there being a pilot lounge or a crew car (the reviews seem to confirm the crew car).
Either way, if there was a million air at the field, I still would avoid flying there.
Well, Linden might have been a good $$$ choice because Signature at KEWR is expensive as hell.

The $35 'handling charge' was waived for a fillup of $8.175/gallon 100LL.

Ramp parking for 2 hours was $80. There was also a $5 "infrastructure" fee.

However, we used the loaner car for lunch at the Spanish Tavern in the Ironbound and then took our friends to the United terminal.

I have no idea what the Port Authority will bill me for - I couldn't find a Web reference other than this thread so I'm expecting a $125 bill in the mail. We'll see....

We didn't appreciate a line staff that had to be called out to put us in a parking spot and offered exactly zero help while unloading during a passing rain shower. The front desk did their job with sulleness and blank stares. This is not an FBO that gets a lot of happy travelers - they have regular pros and random/rude passengers. Shields up and all.

OTOH, we got lucky when the storm that formed overhead went wild over NYC and stopped all international departures to the east and a whole lot of other traffic. The airport turned into a parking lot waiting for the wx. But we were going home to the SSW which was clear. I hurried a bit to beat the departure release and was rewarded with a front of the line departure. I was on my b-game now at best and got scolded once for not fully understanding the SID and for some reason didn't have mode C for the first 5,000' but we got out ahead of many many idling and parked jets. Linden had nothing on us!

The shake and bake approach into KEWR was a blast and my passengers got the full treatment. A great day. Just don't go in there half stepping or you will get stepped on.

Been going in and out of EWR for 20 years. It never gets old. Imagine what it's like for the regional guys going in and out 4 or 5 times a day !

Been going in and out of EWR for 20 years. It never gets old. Imagine what it's like for the regional guys going in and out 4 or 5 times a day !
My passenger said he had new found respect for pilots flying into places like that... personally, I was impressed by the controllers turning that gaggle of hot metal into a well behaved conga line, "..Bluesteak123 you are number 4 overtaking a company 767 doing 180, Eagle456 right turn 140 keep up your speed, RV10 turn 180 intercept the localizer cleared for the approach you're number 2... ta da ta da ta da...."

I won't be *****'n so much when I'm being vectored down among various NJ subdivisions on my way into Westchester while watching Newark and LaGuardia traffic overhead. There is a plan, I just don't always know what it is.
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/scheduleofcharges-ewr.pdf

Here's what the Port Authority is going to charge you on top of signature and the $8.00+ Avgas
If the answer is in there, I need more coffee.... brewing now.

Glad you had a good trip in, Bill. Yep, it's an experience, and gives you respect for the controllers and the pilots who do it. Really, I think it's pretty fun.

Those controllers are the BEST in the world ! I'd put them up against anybody. I really wish they'd go over to mainland china and try teach the Chinese a thing or two.

My passenger said he had new found respect for pilots flying into places like that... personally, I was impressed by the controllers turning that gaggle of hot metal into a well behaved conga line, "..Bluesteak123 you are number 4 overtaking a company 767 doing 180, Eagle456 right turn 140 keep up your speed, RV10 turn 180 intercept the localizer cleared for the approach you're number 2... ta da ta da ta da...."

I won't be *****'n so much when I'm being vectored down among various NJ subdivisions on my way into Westchester while watching Newark and LaGuardia traffic overhead. There is a plan, I just don't always know what it is.

Wait, US outsourced their 767 flying to PSA? :D

$25.00

Back