Flying into KCPS from KPWK via KDKB on Sunday

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Hi

Flying to KCPS to visit my daughter on Sunday. Any advice about coming into KCPS from the north? This will be my longest XC to date.

Thanks!

St. Louis approach will put you down to about 4,000, 50 nm N of the Bravo and you'll bum along down under the edge. CPS is very user friendly.

They do like you to talk to approach first on 123.7 before tower (119.92), but they don't hold you to that as at times AppCon gets saturated.

Nice airport, bad neighborhood. Get a car! Ideal, and Jet Av both have their partisans.

Don't sweat it, it's a piece of cake.

If you're on the north or north-west side and plan on slipping in under the STL Bravo (because good luck getting VFR clearance in), then watch out for the KALN Delta airspace. You can slip in just to the west over the river, just be sure to follow the St. Louis TAC carefully.

If you're coming from north-east, then you've got nothing in the way.

I'd suggest planning on getting some food at the wonderful Crusoe's on the Runway, but sadly, I just found out they closed up shop. The new restaurant won't open until Monday.

My route of flight is KPWK KDKB SPI TOY KCPS. I plan on using flight following. Will be flying with my buddy who is a CFII. He is returning the favor as I act as his safety pilot when he practices approaches under the hood. I feel blessed to have found a great friend.

St. Louis approach will put you down to about 4,000, 50 nm N of the Bravo and you'll bum along down under the edge. CPS is very user friendly.

They do like you to talk to approach first on 123.7 before tower (119.92), but they don't hold you to that as at times AppCon gets saturated.

Nice airport, bad neighborhood. Get a car! Ideal, and Jet Av both have their partisans.

Hi Bruce, my daughter has a car so that's taken car of. Was thinking about diverting to the west over Pfister to visit my favorite AME at 3MY, but haven't seen my daughter since June. Another time....

So had a great time. 2.5 hours to KCPS and 2.8 hours back home. Flight following was a blast except for the Grumman getting too close while I was approaching Sprngfield. St. Louis ATC cleared us through Bravo. CPS control hooked us. Up with flight following on ground. Folks in St. Louis much more accommodating and friendlier than O'Hare. 5.3 hours in the air for lunch much more expensive than the $100 hamburger. 2.5 hours with my daughter who I haven't seen since June-priceless.

Glad you found us accommodating.

Bruce, the 4,000 and 5,000 foot restriction is an LOA prop vs jet with ZKC, SPI and MIZZOU. More often that not it gets muddled and a P-180 will end up at 12,000 while an EA-50 will be pushed down to 5,000. I know its a pain for pilots and most of the time I reach out to let the pilot cruise on in where they're at, but a couple cups of coffee a piece of paper and a pen would show you why its SOP.

Jim. I can count on one hand how many Bravo clearances I've denied so I don't understand why you feel a clearance is hard to come by here. Want to be over the departure end at 1000 feet? No. Over the Marker at STL at 2,000? No. Full procedure ILS 26L as SUS? That shuts down three airports, so no. Coming from the north I routinely work out the ALN transition because I need you down since CPS arrivals on 30's directly impact STL arrivals on the same flow. Jets with TCAS generally don't like being within a few hundred feet of other mode C equipped aircraft. When they RA its pretty abrupt and people, especially the FA's collecting trash walking the isles, can get injured pretty badly.

CPA, if you come back, ask for an arch tour. For the best view do it VFR and if you want an IFR flight plan pick it up in the air if the WX permits.

CPA, if you come back, ask for an arch tour. For the best view do it VFR and if you want an IFR flight plan pick it up in the air if the WX permits.

x2

Flying up/down the riverfront at 1,000' AGL is a fun trip. I've done it a few times. It's in CPS's airspace.

We thought about the Arch tour, but it was getting late. Having just gotten back into aviation after 30 years and recently got my FAA ticket, I didn't want to push my luck especially coming back to the Chicago area. My daughter told me to fly into KSUS as she is in the burbs on weekends.

My son is going to Mizzou and taking lessons in Jefferson City. So either KCOU or KSUS is my next longish trip. As an aside, wanting to visit my kids and my general dislike of spending 12 hours on the road round trip is the reason I got back into aviation after a 30 year absence and got my FAA ticket (I also have a Transport Canada issued license).

Could I get the opinions about going into COU or SUS coming from the Chicago area?

Back