Flying into Canada, or Mexico

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
I know I'm supposed to file some form with the FCC about being a radio operator... what else would I need? (assuming for a minute that I can rent a plane to do so).

I'm thinking more Mexico than Canada, but wondering about both.

Well I cleared customs and immigration in Mexico last night. They wanted my pilots license, my passport, the airplane's registration, the airplane's airworthiness certificate and insurance document showing coverage for Mexico. I have NEVER heard of anyone being asked for a radio operators license.

Well I cleared customs and immigration in Mexico last night. They wanted my pilots license, my passport, the airplane's registration, the airplane's airworthiness certificate and insurance document showing coverage for Mexico. I have NEVER heard of anyone being asked for a radio operators license.

Don't know if a rental place would have that on the insurance? Renting and going to Mexico may be out of the question then.

I have NEVER heard of anyone being asked for a radio operators license.
I haven't either, which is probably a good thing. I had my wallet stolen about 5 years ago which had all my documentation in it except my passport. I replaced everything, or so I thought. Then a year or so later I must have been reading a thread like this. Hmmm.... :redface:

I know I'm supposed to file some form with the FCC about being a radio operator... what else would I need? (assuming for a minute that I can rent a plane to do so).

I'm thinking more Mexico than Canada, but wondering about both.

A date scheduled with customs, flight plan, canada requires a minimum amount of insurance I think, relevant charts, W&B data, A CBP sticker that they will happily sell you upon your arrival back in the US (You're coming back aren't you?), be squawking a discreet transponder code when you cross. I can't elaborate too much on Me-he-co. The biggest pain going VFR into/out of Canada in addition to being up here in the mountains, is having to give the advanced notice of time of arrival.... The weather can change for the better but your still stuck sitting in a foreign country because you have to file and give 2hrs heads up before you leave. Oh and don't forget your eAPIS super fun time.

Many, many trips to Canada, and I was never asked about a radio operator's license. Of course, I had a first-class radiotelephone license if anyone had asked.

Bob Gardner

Back