Flying into an AFB to stay?

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
Long story short, we've got some construction work to do on McConnel AFB just outside of Wichita. I'd really like to take the airplane up there and keep it somewhere on the base, if possible. Is it even possible to use a military base as a civilian?

I won't need gas or any other services. We'll be there for about 10 days.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with something like this?

A renter pilot in my Citabria had it eat a valve, and he made his emergency landing at Homestead AFB.

It was a hassle, but my partner and I got passes into the base to make repeated trips to make the plane flyable.

Your situation is different, but I just wanted to point out that they do have procedures in place to accommodate civilians and civilian aircraft.

Methinks you'll just have to ask.

I've never been into an AFB but certainly I've hit Army and Navy facilities. Do some calling around until you figure out who the airfield operations are and ask what you need to do to get "prior permission." If you've got a reasonable need to be on base, it's usually not that hard to get it granted.

Just call ahead. Don't be surprised if a 18 year old airman with an M16 meets you on the tarmac. Security is not a game there. I've flown into Offit AFB a couple of times. Don't go wondering around taking pictures. ;-)

All good advice. Also, see if there is a flying club on base and call them for some advice/insight. -Skip

Long story short, we've got some construction work to do on McConnel AFB just outside of Wichita. I'd really like to take the airplane up there and keep it somewhere on the base, if possible. Is it even possible to use a military base as a civilian?

I won't need gas or any other services. We'll be there for about 10 days.

Yes, it is possible, but if you are not on a base contract or something that involves them, not likely. I landed at Patrick AFB for a shuttle launch, but I was hauling in civilian employer VIPs for the general running the ESGR program up from Ft Lauderdale so he signed off on it.

Well we just had an extensive thread on this one. Unless McConnel is some joint mil / civ base you'll need to obtain a civilian aircraft landing permit. The other thread had a link to obtain one. With that, they'll most likely require a 30 day notice as well. If there's hanger space I'm sure they'd have no problem hangering your aircraft.

Not with flying in, but I have managed maybe $100M of contracts with the USAF. Here is my suggestion:

Work it through your contract chain of command. Your project manager will have an AF contact at the base, maybe a CO (Contracting Officer) or a COTR (Contracting Officer's Technical Representative) or some other endearing acronym. Your project manager can explain the request and why it would be of benefit to the AF (if possible) and then either ask the AF person to check on permission or (less good) ask for a contact person at the base that your project manager can call. If the CO doesn't support the request, though, you are probably dead in the water.

One universal rule of bureaucracy applies here: It is less risky to say "no" than it is to say "yes." So if you just cold-call into the base or the tower (or worse, fill out a form and blindly zing it in to them) and try to explain yourself, the odds are that you will be turned down. Obviously this is a last resort, but I would strongly encourage you to work it through your chain instead.

McConnell Base Operations:316-652-3701

Call them and let them know what you want to do. They are the ones that will issue you the PPR too.

Get pre approved well in advance. Make sure you understand the procedures . Be sure to let them know when your arriving.

Good.

"2.1.2. Normally authorizes civil aircraft use of Air Force airfields only in support of official Government business. If exceptional circumstances warrant, use for other purposes may be authorized."

From that, I am even more certain that going through your project chain is your best hope. Try to come up with a story that says the AF benefits somehow from letting you do it.

Wow. Thanks for the help, everyone. Sounds like a process and I hope it works out for me.

We are running some pipe underneath some of the taxiways for whatever reason. I'm sure I could work out a way to have it benefit the AF.

As a contractor with business on the base, yes, you can get permission to land and park at McConnell. You'll need to file three forms -- a permission form, a "hold harmless" agreement, and a certification of your insurance. The permission form must be approved by the Base Commander and then sent to AF HQ for approval. The "hold harmless" you do yourself. The insurance certification comes from your insurer. Contact Base Operations at McConnell to get the ball rolling. Also, the odds are they have no avgas on base, so put that in your planning process.

Note that this is all pretty much up to the Base Commander, and there may be anywhere available for you to park, which would pretty much kill the idea. As I said, start with Base Ops at McConnell.

I flew with a guy who married the Fairchild AFB commander's daughter. I suspect he could get the required paperwork.

You'll have to get a DD2400 and D2401 accomplished.

Bigger picture, I've found it easier to just land at the nearby GA field, then commute for my AF business. On an AF base, there's generally nobody to sell you 100LL, nobody to rent you a car, and nobody to ask if you want the airplane in the hanger when the storm comes through.

What Ron said.
If they have an active Aero Club you will most likely park where they do and they may have fuel. But selling fuel to a non AF aircraft may be a problem.

Step 1 - you need a DD2401 and a DD2402.

Step 2 - contact the person on base who is coordinating your work there - and say you'd like to fly to the job. You need XXX square feet to part the airplane, no fuel and no other services.

Step 3 - they will contact ops, who will ask for the DD2401 and DD2402. Then they will issue a PPR # that you need to give the approach or tower controller - after 2-3 times they'll remember you - clear you to land and tell you where to park.

End of story.

I would imagine with your connection and business purpose on the base you will be able to get permission if parking space is available.

That being said I would suggest using 3AU, AAO or ICT. The first two will be cheaper and easier to get in and out of, especially 3AU.

Back