Flying into Albuquerque from the east

Mistake Not...

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mistake Not...
I'm thinking about flying to Albuquerque, NM (KABQ) from Alabama. The trip looks easy until I get within 50 miles or so, and the terrain becomes unfamiliar.

What's the best way around the mountains to the east? I'm tempted to go south and try to come up the valley. But north or south, I'll be lower (AGL) than I'd like. I've never been higher than 11500, and while I have a pulse oximeter, I don't have O2.

Thoughts?

As long as winds aren't too high, I-40 is your friend. If you want to go south then you can stay over fairly low terrain IIRC. I've mostly come and gone from the north and west. Albuquerque approach was helpful although they are very (overly?) protective of airline traffic.

Ok.. I see that.. there's a pass or a gap or whatever you call it where I40 goes through. Judging from the color (skyvector.com), it's <= 7000ish. Doesn't look very wide on the sectional. :)

I'm guessing lots of traffic is funneled through there? If I'm coming from the east, will they know to route me through there, or ask me to climb?

While I'm asking flatlander questions...

Let's say I'm departing on a runway that's aiming me straight at the mountains. I doubt I can climb fast enough to make a straight out departure. Will approach let me circle, vector me west until I'm high enough... what?

Ok.. I see that.. there's a pass or a gap or whatever you call it where I40 goes through. Judging from the color (skyvector.com), it's <= 7000ish. Doesn't look very wide on the sectional. :)

I'm guessing lots of traffic is funneled through there? If I'm coming from the east, will they know to route me through there, or ask me to climb?

If you're VFR ATC will probably not assign a heading or altitude restriction until you're in the Charlie. Tell'em what you want to do and they'll give traffic advisories and vectors if you request them. Stay to the right side of the highway valley.

Don't follow I-40 if winds are much over 20 to 30 knots. Go south to the low terrain and follow the railroad tracks into the the Albuquerque area.

It's plenty wide enough lol just watch out for the down drafts if the wind is running N or S pretty strong. You'll do fine going through there below O2 altitudes.

I'm thinking about flying to Albuquerque, NM (KABQ) from Alabama. The trip looks easy until I get within 50 miles or so, and the terrain becomes unfamiliar.

What's the best way around the mountains to the east? I'm tempted to go south and try to come up the valley. But north or south, I'll be lower (AGL) than I'd like. I've never been higher than 11500, and while I have a pulse oximeter, I don't have O2.

Thoughts?

I used to be based at ABQ. Flew east often in a TriPacer. It's been a few years, but I believe I-40 can be followed at 7500. We flew over the mountains SE of the airport at 8500.

In answer to the other question, on a hot day I would sometimes need to request maneuvering to gain altitude when departing SE.

There are multiple ways to go about it. The quickest is to follow I-40 and come in through the Tijeras pass, but this can often be a turbulent route if the winds are blowing any more than 20 knots or so. The second is to go around the southern edge of the mountains, pass over the town of Mountanair (and north of the restricted areas) then make a right turn to the North-more than doable if you're willing to go to 10.5 (8.5 works too, but you won't have as many options if you lose the/an engine in some areas) The third is to follow I-40 until the Otto VOR, head north towards the Santa Fe VOR, then south/southwest into ABQ. What airplane are you going to be doing this in?

As long as winds aren't too high, I-40 is your friend. If you want to go south then you can stay over fairly low terrain IIRC. I've mostly come and gone from the north and west. Albuquerque approach was helpful although they are very (overly?) protective of airline traffic.

How is ABQ approach overly protective of airline traffic? I work will them all the time and have found them to be accommodating both IFR and VFR. Just remember that if separation is inadequate and an IFR turbojet has to do a go around, it throws a much larger monkey wrench in the system than if a VFR cessna has to do the same thing, so what might seem like favoritism is actually done to keep things flowing smoothly in the system. If you want to deal with a TRACON that despises anything VFR (or non-121 for that matter. They were even jerks to me as an IFR piston), head to Vegas :wink2:.

*smack forehead*

Duh. I should have thought of that. Excellent idea. Thanks. :)

So, I can't file VFR, but I wonder if I can suggest I'd like a given DP. Or at least be willing to follow one.

What looks somewhat treacherous on a map really isn't when you see it in person. The mountain to the north east is Sandia and pretty well sticks up in the middle of the plain. Easy to go around to the north and come in from thr north-northwest. Take a look at Google maps, plot your route and "fly" it on the computer.

Last edited:
How is ABQ approach overly protective of airline traffic? I work will them all the time and have found them to be accommodating both IFR and VFR. Just remember that if separation is inadequate and an IFR turbojet has to do a go around, it throws a much larger monkey wrench in the system than if a VFR cessna has to do the same thing, so what might seem like favoritism is actually done to keep things flowing smoothly in the system. If you want to deal with a TRACON that despises anything VFR (or non-121 for that matter. They were even jerks to me as an IFR piston), head to Vegas :wink2:.

Coming from the north and headed to Mid Valley for gas. I was above 10,000 and they didn't want me to descend until south of their precious airport and airline traffic.

Don't let my comments bother you, I've had similar treatment around my home airport when dealing with a rookie controller. Some ATC folks just don't understand us little guys or they've had some bad experiences and then go overboard (over protective).

Coming from the north and headed to Mid Valley for gas. I was above 10,000 and they didn't want me to descend until south of their precious airport and airline traffic.

Don't let my comments bother you, I've had similar treatment around my home airport when dealing with a rookie controller. Some ATC folks just don't understand us little guys or they've had some bad experiences and then go overboard (over protective).

Hmm..that's fairly unusual. They must've been landing 21 at international.

So, I can't file VFR, but I wonder if I can suggest I'd like a given DP. Or at least be willing to follow one.
Take note of the climb gradients required to fly the DP. In a single engine plane you won't be making those numbers. But VFR, obstacle clearance is your responsibility....

-Skip

Thoughts?

V12 will get you into KABQ, no need to fly above 10500. Ive done it many times, VFR and IFR. TRACON there is great to work with, no problems at all. Heading there again in just a couple days.

What looks somewhat treacherous on a map really isn't when you see it in person. The mountain to the north east is Sandia and pretty well sticks up in the middle of the plain. Easy to go around to the north and come in from thr north-northwest. Take a look at Google maps, plot your route and "fly" it on the computer.

To me in my little C150, the mountains looked more imposing in person than they did on the chart. But I saw on the chart how I-40 makes an S through the pass and did it fine -- more than once. East to west I got fuel at Double Eagle II -- easy to do with fuel burned off and a lighter plane. West to east I got full fuel at Double Eagle -- and then spent a l-o-n-g time circling to the west to climb up the altitude ATC wanted me to use before going east.

Once I got fuel at Sandia Air Park and barely got off the ground -- 6600 feet AGL and a hot day.

Last edited:
How is ABQ approach overly protective of airline traffic?

There's guy with a distinctive accent who always complains "you're in my departure corridor" if I cross south of the pass, for example coming from Rosewell. You can expect some odd vectoring thereafter. Others aren't hostile though. It varies.

If you want to deal with a TRACON that despises anything VFR (or non-121 for that matter. They were even jerks to me as an IFR piston), head to Vegas :wink2:.

Well, sure, Vegas is ****. They even close McCarran to VFR for months at a time. I heard New York was no picnic either. Actually what the heck, busy controllers at DEN would find a moment to add "I don't have time to deal with you" to "Remain clear of class Bravo". It's still the case that some Approach controllers in ABQ are not comfortable working VFR traffic.

If you want to deal with a TRACON that despises anything VFR (or non-121 for that matter. They were even jerks to me as an IFR piston), head to Vegas :wink2:.

--- That's a "Harry the Weed" Vegas, not the "Manny the Arrogant" Vegas

:)

But if he's coming from the east, approach will probably get the hand-off around Moriarty and they will get him set up before he reaches "The Canyon"

I've gotten hit with a couple of 360's coming out of Sandia Park (1N1) to let traffic pass, but restrictions are the exception, not the rule

Last edited:

The Tijeras canyon (also known as "East Pass") is dirt simple - the mountains are very gradual on both sides, and its a very short transition through. Follow I-40 and call up Albuquerque Approach as you get near (from that side of the mountains, don't expect them to hear you below 8500 ft).

If you fly through at 9000ft or so (remember, the even+500 requirement is AGL), you'll be just fine and will actually have a good view and an excellent emergency landing option directly below you (2 actually, between Rt 66 and I-40).

+1. I fly into ABQ quite often and this is the best way to do it. Flying over the Sandia mountains is an invitation for a rough ride on most days.

If you're VFR ATC will probably not assign a heading or altitude restriction until you're in the Charlie. Tell'em what you want to do and they'll give traffic advisories and vectors if you request them. Stay to the right side of the highway valley.

Don't follow I-40 if winds are much over 20 to 30 knots. Go south to the low terrain and follow the railroad tracks into the the Albuquerque area.

I have been through Tijeras canyon with some really nasty winds. Its such a short transition, I don't think that's going to be that big of an issue. You're seriously through the canyon in less than a minute.

Hmm..that's fairly unusual. They must've been landing 21 at international.

I agree with Clark on this one. ATC used to put you right in harms way of SouthWest Airlines unless you said otherwise. Then, ATC started getting overprotective and keeping GA way out of the way.

That said, its Charlie, so its pretty easy to make them work for you.

I used to fly my 65HP taylorcraft out of Coronado airport on the north side of Alb and never had any issues either heading south along the mountains and sneaking through the pass over I40 or heading north around the end of the Sandias. Its an easy hop. I flew out of Sandia Airpark and Moriarity a lot and never had issues with altitude in either direction. Trying to head down to mountainaire to go through the pass there isn't really necessary. Flying out of International with the CAP we never really had much trouble with ATC other than them trying to get us to expedite for airliners. Only so fast you can go in a cessna or maule....Don't be afraid of them or let them push you into stuff you don't want to do. I personally like heading around the north end of the sandias as the views are outstanding and while the terrain looks scary on the maps its really not too bad. As noted by others windy days make the ride a bit more active but still doable.

Have fun

Frank

You're probably planning a day flight, but in case you're planning a night flight it'll probably be absolutely pitch black east of the mountains for about 100 miles.

There's guy with a distinctive accent who always complains "you're in my departure corridor" if I cross south of the pass, for example coming from Rosewell. You can expect some odd vectoring thereafter. Others aren't hostile though. It varies.

Well, sure, Vegas is ****. They even close McCarran to VFR for months at a time. I heard New York was no picnic either. Actually what the heck, busy controllers at DEN would find a moment to add "I don't have time to deal with you" to "Remain clear of class Bravo". It's still the case that some Approach controllers in ABQ are not comfortable working VFR traffic.

I think I know who you're referring to. Though, I'll still take him over a Vegas controller any day. On the other end, my favorite ABQ TRACON controller is the older dude who usually does graveyard. I recently went down there for some practice approaches with an instrument student of another instructor who I was covering for at 2 AM and he seemed to enjoy the company of an airplane in his airspace for a change :D

You're probably planning a day flight, but in case you're planning a night flight it'll probably be absolutely pitch black east of the mountains for about 100 miles.

Unless there's a full moon, then it's really pretty.

Back