Flying in WWII bomber or vintage plane, HOW?

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
I'm looking for websites or information regarding flights offered in WWII planes or other vintage Aircraft comming to the Eastern PA / NJ area this year. They must have online schedules someplace where you can purchase tickets and reserve these rides,.. any help?

Last year I missed out on a Ford Tri-motor just across the river in Trenton (only 30 minutes from me). I know the Reading Airshow sometimes offers some rides in WWII planes, anyone ever gone up?

In addition to the links, I'll offer this:

Around $400 might seem like a lot for 20 minutes in a B-17, but it's worth every penny if you have any interest at all in such aircraft. I've been obsessed with those bombers since I was a kid, and I just had to do it, cost be damned!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQowHtx_mM&feature=channel_page

I had a ride aboard the EAA's Fort, and it was awesome! I wound up in the rear-facing jump seat behind the copilot because I got aboard first (remember that), and was given the go-ahead to unstrap and move about just after the gear came up. You can visit every position, in flight, except the tail gun. You can stand on the flight deck behind the pilots, and if the radio op's hatch is off, you can stick your head out into the slipstream.

Another tip: if the other pax in your group are too old or out of shape to want to move around much, you'll have a lot more time to yourself in the key areas. So fall in with some fat old-timers. :D That's also another way to maybe meet someone who served aboard a B-17, or something similar... or guys like the WWII Army vet I met who told me about going home after VE Day in a C-47. "Living history", indeed...

Aside from the sheer fun of it, the most memorable impression was a new understanding of how vulnerable those crews were on all those daylight runs... even though the Forts were legendary for their toughness, when you're sitting in the nose blister imagining a carpet of flak all around and enemy fighters coming at you, it bumps the "Respect-o-Meter" up considerably. Those kids who flew those missions had guts, and those who survived the war had great skill as well as luck.

As for the EAA's Ford: the ride in back is fun, but for about twice the cost you can get some right-seater time and maybe some time at the controls. A shorter flight, but also worth every penny.

Last edited:
The Silent Wings museum (now in Lubbock, TX I think) was near Dallas until recently, a friend was its president for many years. To sit in the restored D-Day glider and see they had nothing between them and the ground fire but a piece of canvas was another reminder of how tough things were for our kids who fought that war.

Thanks for the Great list of links guys! I'm going to keep an eye out on schedules and see if I can find one comming close enough and get a ride.

The Tri-motor was cheaper than I thought it would be,.. I'd really go for the right seat option if it was available. Sounds like you had a great experience!

Thanks again!:D

I got some right seat time in the EAA's B-17 Aluminum Overcast this summer ferring the plane from Lincoln, NE to K.C., MO. What an amazing experience. The men that rode those planes into battle were true hero's. No heat, no armor, no pressurization. Simply an amazing 1.5 hour ride to KC.

I took a ride in a Ford tri-motor a few yrs ago. It only cost $5 for a 15-20 minute flight around the pattern. You even got a little card to prove you did it. Of course I am old and a few yrs ago to me was 1969. Good luck, good flying, it will be worth it. DaveR

I got some right seat time in the EAA's B-17 Aluminum Overcast this summer. No heat, no armor, no pressurization.

Yeah, but a lot of nice air conditioning -- especially in the target area and after the bomb run. :) :)

All the above or'

Find some guy like me who owns one near you and ask them If you can buy lunch.

OBTW how close to New Garden airport are you?

Rob, the Collins foundation airplanes (link posted above) usually stop at KILG for a few days every year.

You can also go for a ride in an SN-J or Stearman at the Air Museum at KRDG on one of their "History Flight weekends". http://www.maam.org/rides.html or during the WWII weekend show in June. I did that a few years ago and got some stick time.

Of course if you want Stearman time you can go to VanSant anytime - http://www.vansantairport.com/main.html

More info: if you're looking for a ride in old aircraft in general, stop by this place in Bethel this season... a very fine "barnstorming" WACO and an excellent little museum full of airworthy treasures. I believe they are visiting-pilot-friendly during the fly-ins, even if you aren't flying something older than you are.

http://www.goldenageair.org/

Those things are expensive, for sure! A friend of mine owns a rare 2 seat P-51 Mustang (ok, it's probably not the "p-51, with two seats, but you know what I mean...) and he told me it costs him $3000 per hour to fly the thing! :eek: :eek:

Those things are expensive, for sure! A friend of mine owns a rare 2 seat P-51 Mustang (ok, it's probably not the "p-51, with two seats, but you know what I mean...) and he told me it costs him $3000 per hour to fly the thing! :eek: :eek:

A P-51 is one thing, but stick time in a Stearman or SNJ/AT6/Harvard is a lot cheaper, and almost as fun. Certainly more comfortable than being wedged into the back of a Mustang cockpit...

The EAA used to have a few B17s that went on tour each summer. Tickets can be purchased through the EAA. I imagine with fuel prices skyrocketing, ticket prices have as well.

In 2005, B-17 'Fuddy Duddy' provided rides at the Aurora, IL airport, and I was able to secure a ticket. It is really a great experience. In my opinion, it is well worth the ticket price.

Photo album here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rachelmelonhead/B17August2005AuroraILARR#

Back