Flying in to Teterboro, NJ

swingwing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Swingwing
My wife and I are going to a concert at the Medowlands Stadium and I would like to fly up and go through the Hudson corridor. Is Teterboro the best airport to land at with a C172? I have heard that the ramp fees, landing fees and overnight parking will run north of $350.00 (Too steep for this 172 driver.) Any advise? What FBO would you recommend?

Thanks,
Nick

We made the TEB mistake once. Not really GA friendly. :frown3:

There are other NY area airports more suitable, including Essex County (CDW), HPN, and others. The NY locals will certainly give you good info!

Not sure how you plan to get from KTEB to the Meadowlands, or if your decision hinges on that factor (because it's so close), but you'd probably be better off landing at KCDW. Even if you take a taxi from there to the show it could all wind up being cheaper than an overnight at KTEB.

Last edited:
Check out Linden. Pretty close to the Meadowlands, without the wallet-draining experience. The airspace is kinda congested, with Newark close by, but lots of people do PPL training there so it can't be that hard. You're probably better off renting a car for that last leg to the stadium, wherever you fly.

Do not go to Morristown or Teterboro if you value your life's savings.

Don't know how close it would get you to the Meadowlands, but I was happy with the service at HPN. Fly in, tie down, get a cab to the train station (5-10 minute cab ride). You can be in Times Square in 30 mins or so (I have no clue where the Meadowlands are in relation to Times Square).

Don't know how close it would get you to the Meadowlands, but I was happy with the service at HPN. Fly in, tie down, get a cab to the train station (5-10 minute cab ride). You can be in Times Square in 30 mins or so (I have no clue where the Meadowlands are in relation to Times Square).

Wrong side of the sewer pipe...errr...river :).

I've heard good stuff about both Linden and CDW. Linden is probably closer as it's basically right next to 95, and as a bonus you'd get some formation experience with the EWR traffic.

Wrong side of the sewer pipe...errr...river :).

I've heard good stuff about both Linden and CDW. Linden is probably closer as it's basically right next to 95, and as a bonus you'd get some formation experience with the EWR traffic.

Well that's what happens when a former Iowa guy tries to give directions about where to go in NYC. ;)

Teterboro is a very busy and expensive airport. That said, as far as transportation goes, you could check with your hotel in the Meadowlands to see if they have a shuttle.

TEB is clearly the closest to the Meadowlands (as in "right in it"), but as noted, it's pretty expensive. BizJets and the Port Authority assure that.

Between CDW and Linden, I'd choose Linden.... but brush up on flying technique and watch the Class B limits pretty carefully. Linden is arguably closer (time-wise), depending on the time of day. I, too, would recommend a rental car, though public transit is possible.

FWIW, CDW is technically closer than Linden, but there is public transit available near both that can get you to/from the complex. I am not 100% sure, but there may be bus service right near CDW, possibly with a stop at the complex on the way to NYC.

Catching a bus or train from LDJ involves a longish walk or a cab, but that will also get you to the Meadowlands, via Newark Penn Station and then the transfer station in Secaucus.

Whatever the case, even from TEB, if you plan to use public transit, you'll have get a bus either from NY Penn or Secaucus... although I believe there is sometimes direct rail service, when there are big events at Giants Stadium (your concert may qualify?).

The bus/train may seem like a hassle, but trying to get there before a big event in a cab or rental car would not be any more pleasant, or even faster.

Definitely check the NJ Transit website...

Thanks for all the recommendations. Since it's only a two hour drive for me I guess it really doesn't make much sense to fly :frown3:. Until I go to the airport, fly and get transportation on the other end I'll turn the two hour trip into a day :eek:

Thanks for all the recommendations. Since it's only a two hour drive for me I guess it really doesn't make much sense to fly :frown3:. Until I go to the airport, fly and get transportation on the other end I'll turn the two hour trip into a day :eek:

Yeah, but it will involve flying... :D

Things must have changed in the last six or seven years at TEB. I used to fly in ther pretty regularly to visit friends, and it wasn't bad at all. Millionaire would wave the first night if you bought fuel, which was expensive, but it avoided the overnight fee. I don't remember them even having a minimum. Then you'd get a bill for $5.00 from the State of New Jersey in the mail and that was it.

Calling the FBO's and asking about fees will get you much more accurate information than you are getting here. There were three single engine aircraft on the Atlantic ramp yesterday afternoon and our fees for a mid size jet were less than the $350 you had 'heard'.

TEB is busy, but it is the closest to the Meadowlands.

Calling the FBO's and asking about fees will get you much more accurate information than you are getting here. There were three single engine aircraft on the Atlantic ramp yesterday afternoon and our fees for a mid size jet were less than the $350 you had 'heard'.

We spent $150 per landing at KTEB in a C205 September, 2009.

Not just hearsay.

I have heard badness about TEB for a long time from multiple sources. I have not called them and asked as my airplane trip to NY has not materialized.

I dropped around $40 for a 10 minute pax drop/quick turn. That, my friend, is a rip-off.

CDW has a landing fee, I believe it is $11 for a single/piston. Don't recall exactly, since I'm officially a tenant. I don't believe Linden charges a fee, but it being Jersey, anything is possible.

My wife and I are going to a concert at the Medowlands Stadium and I would like to fly up and go through the Hudson corridor.

Hudson flight is beautiful something you will never forget. I flew it at night and the city lights illuminated the cockpit. If you want to see the video of it check my signature for my blog and it is the second flight down

THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!!!

BTW, I've flown into TEB quite a bit and I think I always used Atlantic Aviation as the FBO. If you top off they only charged me between 30 and 50 dollars for ramp fee. Port Authority sends a bill for 15 dollars later on. The FBO was ALWAYS friendly to me and always gave me a ride anywhere close and it it wasn't they always gave me a ride to the bus stop and picked me up when I returned.

That all said, I'd call Atlantic Aviation first and check on there ramp fees.

Gene Wentzel - 71 Cessna Cardinal RG

Gene Wentzel - '71 Cardinal RG

I went to First Aviation.

Very nice. Nice facilities. Plus they sent me a coffee mug in the mail a few weeks later. I'd go to them again, if I HAD to fly to TEB.

Back