Flying in the dark is easier (long)

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
So, the last lessons learned I posted was about Stick and Rudder nearly killing me and my instructor...

After I got my ticket, I loved night flying... Even took my kids up to see fireworks from above on the 4th once (to me, a real waste of time, they fell asleep in the back seat before the 172 was in the air, and fireworks from above look no better than sparklers down the street. Meh).

That was my last flight for 14 years... Flying stopped for me 7/4/1983...
Many life events intervened... I had a debilitating accident, my wife died... Life happened.

I met a new lady in 1997... She lived out of state. We carried on a long distance relationship for quite a while... And, while we were apart, I thought I'd get a medical and get current again so I could take her up to see the fall colors and have a nice $100 steak dinner.

C17 to PDC was the plan, along the Mississippi. It was a surprise.. she didn't know I'd gotten current.

Off we go!

"Uhm.... I have to pee... "

"Well, honey, uh, there aren't any rest stops up here.... "

"Well, I didn't know we were going flying, and I've been drinking tea all day..."

"Sigh"

"MXO FBO, Cessna 1niner 8, are you still open?"

"1niner 8…Yes, 15 minutes or so..."

"1niner 8 inbound MXO, about 10 minutes out, can you wait? I have a first time passenger with a compelling physiological need?"

"Chuckle snicker 1niner 8, sure... We'll wait chuckle snicker"

Needs addressed, off we go again... Due East, to the Mississippi....

Leaves were a little disappointing.... And, it was starting to get dark. Keyed the Mike to turn on VASI and runway lights at PDC... Flew in with the aid of the VASI. Parked, tied down, and froze our butts off crossing the road to the steakhouse...

Flight home was direct and uneventful...

I managed to stay current flying for a bit...

And then... My house blew up.. literally. No one home, I worked nights 3-11 and it happened about 10:15 pm. I was staying at my then fiance's (now wife's) apt, as I was adding a bath to the house and construction was going on... (But that's another story)

Fast forward... Insurance wouldn't cover a stick built replacement, so I was installing a Design Home modular....

The salesman called me and said the halves were all built, would we like to come up and see it?

I had a novel idea.... "If we flew up, could you pick us up at the airport?"

"Sure.."

Arrangements made, we went back to C17 and flew to PDC. CAVU day early winter. Smooth flying, no stops along the way...

Get to PDC... Circle, call unicom for the active... Same runway.. Daylight...

Get into pattern and see the hill... The hill at the landing end of the runway.... It wasn't there in the dark, I swear... Tried the landing... Ah sh++... I'm too high and long... Go around.... Try again...

It worked...

House was fine, got built... Life went on, I retired...

What was learned? VASI is a wonderful crutch for us low time VFR pilots.... Going around is sometimes necessary...

And,

I. Will. Fly. Again.

Last edited:
At that time... It was unicom for that airport... IIRC... But I'm old... So ...

I think he meant calling for the active at all... you pick.. listen for traffic... there is no active runway at a non-towered airport.. glad you are back at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love “I saw the hill”.

Have done that a couple times over the years. Flew somewhere at night.

Later flight to same place I saw the lights and/or ILS really saved my ass and I didn’t know it. It’s there on the MSA circle but sometimes it just doesn’t click when you’re doing it.

You just fly the published numbers and glidepath instinctively after a while and then see “the hill” later...

I think he meant calling for the active at all... you pick.. listen for traffic... there is no active runway at a non-towered airport.. glad you are back at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah... No courtesy anymore, FBOs too busy... Gassing up all those GA aircraft every minute of the day,... Why, they're just "covered up!"

[Sarcasm off]

I love “I saw the hill”.

Later flight to same place I saw the lights and/or ...

ILS really saved my ass and I didn’t know it. It’s there on the MSA circle but sometimes it just doesn’t click when you’re doing it.

You just fly the published numbers and glidepath...

instinctively after a while and then see “the hill” later...

You're talking that IFR language... We don't understand that lingo.... Yet.

I don´t go to places first time at night if no VASI or PAPI. A friend of mine was shocked when he saw a big (unlighted, apparently) antenna close to the approach path the morning after his landing.

I don´t go to places first time at night if no VASI or PAPI. A friend of mine was shocked when he saw a big (unlighted, apparently) antenna close to the approach path the morning after his landing.
Ditto to that. In fact I wouldn't land anywhere at night without a visual glidepath indicator unless I was very familiar with the field.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back