Flying in rain

Robin Hood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robin Hood
So flying VFR on long X-county especially this time of year, I am often busy avoiding thunderstorms. But often there is associated rain showers that can be flown through with out fear of entering the thunderstorm itself. Is it correct that I can just fly through rain showers as long as visibility and ceilings are VFR? I had always thought that was the way to do it until someone shared with me that VFR includes clear of rain showers also.

Is it correct that I can just fly through rain showers as long as visibility and ceilings are VFR? I had always thought that was the way to do it until someone shared with me that VFR includes clear of rain showers also.
I see no mention of rain anywhere here sir!

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.155

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section and § 91.157, no person may operate an aircraft under VFR when the flight visibility is less, or at a distance from clouds that is less, than that prescribed for the corresponding altitude and class of airspace in the following table:
upload_2019-7-23_11-22-35.png

(b)Class G Airspace. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, the following operations may be conducted in Class G airspace below 1,200 feet above the surface:

(1)Helicopter. A helicopter may be operated clear of clouds in an airport traffic pattern within 1/2 mile of the runway or helipad of intended landing if the flight visibility is not less than 1/2 statute mile.

(2)Airplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft. If the visibility is less than 3 statute miles but not less than 1 statute mile during night hours and you are operating in an airport traffic pattern within 1/2 mile of the runway, you may operate an airplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft clear of clouds.

(c) Except as provided in § 91.157, no person may operate an aircraft beneath the ceiling under VFR within the lateral boundaries of controlled airspace designated to the surface for an airport when the ceiling is less than 1,000 feet.

(d) Except as provided in § 91.157 of this part, no person may take off or land an aircraft, or enter the traffic pattern of an airport, under VFR, within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport -

(1) Unless ground visibility at that airport is at least 3 statute miles; or

(2) If ground visibility is not reported at that airport, unless flight visibility during landing or takeoff, or while operating in the traffic pattern is at least 3 statute miles.

(e) For the purpose of this section, an aircraft operating at the base altitude of a Class E airspace area is considered to be within the airspace directly below that area.

[Doc. No. 24458, 56 FR 65660, Dec. 17, 1991, as amended by Amdt. 91-235, 58 FR 51968, Oct. 5, 1993; Amdt. 91-282, 69 FR 44880, July 27, 2004; Amdt. 91-330, 79 FR 9972, Feb. 21, 2014; Amdt. 91-330A, 79 FR 41125, July 15, 2014]

So flying VFR on long X-county especially this time of year, I am often busy avoiding thunderstorms. But often there is associated rain showers that can be flown through with out fear of entering the thunderstorm itself. Is it correct that I can just fly through rain showers as long as visibility and ceilings are VFR? I had always thought that was the way to do it until someone shared with me that VFR includes clear of rain showers also.

Rain isn't clouds and as long as visibility is maintained you're fine. However, what might have been 5 miles of vis, can easily go to less than 3 or even 1 in a hurry if the rain intensifies.

Last edited:

Visibility drops pretty quickly in rain. If VFR you can often see the stuff coming down in grey sheets. Better to steer around.

Misinformation. VMC is a visibility and cloud distance criteria. If you can maintain it while flying in the rain, you’re legal. I fly through rain all the time but I choose wisely. Light rain will wash the bugs off the aircraft. Moderate to heavy rain will not only degrade vis, but will tend to strip paint on rotors and eat away at a composite prop...without a nickel leading edge.

Flying through rain can be one of the most peaceful things. I enjoy it. Be wary of cumulus buildups and rain shafts-those can be trouble IMO.

Flying through rain is how I cleaned the bugs off the plane.

Is a cloud really a cloud if your in it and you have 5 miles visibility.??

Visibility drops pretty quickly in rain. If VFR you can often see the stuff coming down in grey sheets. Better to steer around.

The OP said showers, with a clearly stated questions around visibility and ceilings:

But often there is associated rain showers that can be flown through with out fear of entering the thunderstorm itself. Is it correct that I can just fly through rain showers as long as visibility and ceilings are VFR?

There is a difference, and the ability to fly legally and safely through showers -- while getting the plane clean at the same time. ;)

OP -- A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself is if you can see all the way through the precip, thereby avoiding embedded thunderstorms or visibility issues, and what is your "out" strategy.

1.jpg

I try to avoid flying in the rain,as my plane has a composite prop,that has been rebuilt three times.

I try to avoid flying in the rain,as my plane has a composite prop,that has been rebuilt three times.

If the rain is heavy enough it will remove paint, decals and sealant too. I fly through rain, green on xm weather, yellow is a no go unless it is small or barely yellow. Snow is fun too, but you have to be careful it doesn't stick. Generally if I can fly around it, I do. Rain coming out of the bottom of convective activity is a no go for me.

If the rain is heavy enough it will remove paint, decals and sealant too. I fly through rain, green on xm weather, yellow is a no go unless it is small or barely yellow. Snow is fun too, but you have to be careful it doesn't stick. Generally if I can fly around it, I do. Rain coming out of the bottom of convective activity is a no go for me.
snow is really cool at night, with the landing lights on you can get a cool Star Wars effect

Most of my airplane washes were of the meteorological variety.

What others said -- just be careful about where the rain is coming from and what's the bigger picture. Around here, rain is usually associated with weather you don't want anything to do with.

The Olde Ones always said "never fly through anything that you cant see through." Rain is a fact of life here along the Gulf coast. You will probably find rain on any given day. In just a few months, the finish on my Luscombe's wood prop looked like it had been dragged behind a pick up.
One type that I flew, had a habit of picking up water in the pitot static system. When indications got too erratic, I had to get a 3/8 wrench, pull the plugs under the fuselage and drain the water.

never fly through anything that you cant see through
There are some hazy high humidity days over the LA basin and over parts of Florida where the weather is totally VFR but you are seeing 5 miles at most. You keep thinking you will fly into a white wall of IMC but this little 5 mile of visibility bubble just follows along with you

*Also - I had no idea that some propellers disintegrate in the rain.. aren't composite props supposed to be nickel plated? I would assume (obviously incorrectly) that the epoxy on wood props would also handle rain

*Also - I had no idea that some propellers disintegrate in the rain.. aren't composite props supposed to be nickel plated? I would assume (obviously incorrectly) that the epoxy on wood props would also handle rain
No and no.

Rain, particularly when heavy and impacted at speed, is very erosive.

Look up water jet videos on YouTube. There isn’t much they can’t cut through.

No and no.

Rain, particularly when heavy and impacted at speed, is very erosive.

thanks, is it blade dependent? I've had the Cirrus through rain and didn't notice any prop damage

Those water jets are pretty incredible, but I didn't realize that a plane traveling <200 ktas through rain was in the same ballpark at all

thanks, is it blade dependent? I've had the Cirrus through rain and didn't notice any prop damage

Those water jets are pretty incredible, but I didn't realize that a plane traveling <200 ktas through rain was in the same ballpark at all
How fast does the rotation of the prop take it through the same rain?

You wouldn’t believe what rain did to my Catto. Ate it almost to the wood core. Fortunately I was dropping it off a Velocity for the condition and they took care of the repair.

You can get a nickel leading edge on a Catto but it’s a fairly new mod and costs more. I’ll upgrade at some point but since I don’t fly IFR anymore and generally avoid heavy rain, it’s not high on my list.

It is blade dependent, but there is no special “Cirrus Magic” on their props.

With time, those will erode, too.

I typically slow down the plane and the prop in heavy rain, as able, to reduce erosion.

Well, that isn't quite fair. Pure water jet cutters work with soft materials like rubber, but for cutting harder things they mix abrasive cutting particles like garnet with the water. :)

here are some hazy high humidity days over the LA basin and over parts of Florida where the weather is totally VFR but you are seeing 5 miles at most. You keep thinking you will fly into a white wall of IMC but this little 5 mile of visibility bubble just follows along with you
Yup I know what that's like. Lol one day I even asked atc about any vis reports in my area all he had was "10 Miles and clr sky". Like you said the bubble stayed with me the whole way.

Well, that isn't quite fair. Pure water jet cutters work with soft materials like rubber, but for cutting harder things they mix abrasive cutting particles like garnet with the water. :)

I have more than a bit of waterjet experience, and replaced many stainless steel splash shields and part holding fixtures damaged by straight water.

They will absolutely cut prop materials without abrasives - (wood, aluminum, paint, and composite resins), just slower than with abrasives.

BTW, most of the Youtube videos on tough materials are timelapsed, as well.

My composite prop has a metal leading edge.
Prop speed is not even in the same ballpark as waterjet speed (way beyond supersonic - we run at 60,000psi).

I've seen some erosion (paint) on an aluminum cirrus prop, sr 22 g6, that I think is from rain. Also a decal that had a small piece missing and some gap sealant displaced. I was told this is the result of heavier rain. We get a lot of that around here. I was told to steer around yellow and obviously red returns on the weather screens.

Misinformation. VMC is a visibility and cloud distance criteria. If you can maintain it while flying in the rain, you’re legal. I fly through rain all the time but I choose wisely. Light rain will wash the bugs off the aircraft. Moderate to heavy rain will not only degrade vis, but will tend to strip paint on rotors and eat away at a composite prop...without a nickel leading edge.

This. He covered it all.

I like free airplane washes. If it gets heavier I also like having my instrument ticket for such occasions.

It’ll also strip paint from a prop, besides rotors. :) (He’s a whirlybird guy... forgive him for mixing them all up. Hahaha.)

Fascinating thread… I did not know that a prop could erode in rain.

Not entirely related, but interestingly, rain is very bad for a hot air balloon in flight. The balloon envelope material (rip-stop nylon) is coated with a silicon coating to reduce porosity. If this coating gets wet while the envelope is at temp, the water will boil and strip the coating away. And of course rain is terrible for performance as well (adding weight and cooling the envelope).

. .... Snow is fun too, but you have to be careful it doesn't stick. Generally if I can fly around it, I do....

snow is really cool at night, with the landing lights on you can get a cool Star Wars effect

Off the original topic a little, I thought snow was considered an icing condition, so you couldn’t fly through snow without a FIKI aircraft. Can’t cite a reference though. True?

Not that I anticipate ever being faced with that down here....

Off the original topic a little, I thought snow was considered an icing condition, so you couldn’t fly through snow without a FIKI aircraft. Can’t cite a reference though. True?

In my case the plane is FIKI. But I've never actually had snow stick to the plane..

Flying through rain will make a beautiful propeller shed its paint off the leading edge :(

When it comes to precipitation freezing onto your airplane, snow is not like ice. Snow will usually flow around the airplane without accumulating, although you might get a little sticking on the leading edge.

Back