Flying in New England mountains

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
Anybody fly up around the 5000ft peaks in New England? Should I be getting mountain flying training like they do in the Rockies before I fly there?

Most of the Rockies flying issues deal with winds causing down drafts at higher altitudes where aircraft perform lower.

Don't hit the rocks and you'll be fine. ;)

While the mountainous areas here in New England are mere foothills compared to the stuff in the Rockies, how could it possibly hurt to get some mountain training?

5,000 foot peaks? That's what we call "gentle rolling hills!"

Never had a problem ,but I would clear them by 1000 ft ,as stated previously.

You CAN get mountain wave effects in lower mountains (BTDT). But they are much less worrisome as you have a lot of reserve power.

I wouldn't go through there when the winds are howling, except perhaps with a lot of ground clearance and everything strapped down (moderate turbulence is not fun with projectiles in the cabin).

You have much more concern about weather. Freezing IMC is a lot easier to come by in the mountains. And the weather can change rapidly, both in time and space. Take "mountain obscuration" AIRMETs seriously, though they are not necessarily a no-go (be prepared to modify your plans if the mountains are obscured, though -- overflying may or may not be an option).

Other than that, have fun.

In most cases, you can dodge almost all the turbulence by just flying higher than the peaks, even when over the valleys. However, the best views will be down low.

Don't belittle flying in the New England Mountains. They may not top out in the flight levels, but there can be some pretty serious weather up there. Mt Washington had until a few years ago the highest windspeed on earth recorded there, something over 200 mph.

That being said, I don't think extra training is necessary, I'd just wait till a nice flying weather day to make your first trip up there.

Sailplanes have been over 30,000' from the wave off Mt. Washington. Not to scare you, I think you should do it, heck people fly without motors around there. Light winds aloft, if summer positive TI numbers. The airports around aren't tricky and DA is usually pretty low. Have fun.

While the mountainous areas here in New England are mere foothills compared to the stuff in the Rockies, how could it possibly hurt to get some mountain training?
It doesn't hurt....unless someone comes away from the training thinking that they are now prepared for the Rockies. IOW, if not done right, it could instill a false sense of knowledge.

Mountain flying training in New England will prepare you for dealing with turbulence over the hills, not the kinds of mountain flying elements that get folks killed in the Rockies.

For what it's worth I flew a Cessna 152 around Mount Katahdin at 7,000 ft on a mild day with little to no mountain flying experience beyond what I knew about valley winds, leeward and windward winds, mountain waves, and so on. It didn't kill me, I doubt it will be any different for you. Just don't be dumb and leave yourself an out at all times and you'll be fine. I'd say the only caution would be landing at a mountain airport can be tricky but usually just because they have rising terrain and are generally not very long.

Take some pictures while you're there.

http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1278983_10101247648988279_1042037774_o.jpg

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/901222_10101247649187879_423569034_o.jpg
http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1278983_10101247648988279_1042037774_o.jpg

Anybody fly up around the 5000ft peaks in New England? Should I be getting mountain flying training like they do in the Rockies before I fly there?
That would be a very good idea. Given that the mountains in New England stick up above the surrounding terrain almost as much as the Rockies do, you have pretty much all the same problems other than density altitude (which is only one of several serious problems faced in mountain flying).

I think its a good idea. Winds can get pretty strong up there. The Presidential Range has some outrageous winds. Mt. Washington has the highest sustained winds on earth. You won't have the same DA issues as you do out west but there are some local conditions depending upon where you fly that some local knowledge would be well worth the investment.

Any training which prepares you for circumstances you are unfamiliar with is money well spent. The marble orchards are full of pilots who knew it all.

I don't downplay any mountains. The little ones can kill you as quickly as the big ones.

I live in NJ and eventually want to fly into Vermont and Maine for skiing. So knowledge of flying under those conditions in those areas would be great.

I don't downplay any mountains. The little ones can kill you as quickly as the big ones.

Highest recorded winds were in the NE. Also ice country. Ya can't outclimb terrain, it doesn't matter where you start (to a degree).

Get the training - all it costs is money. The hills may be only 5,000' but yer just as dead when ya hit one.

That would be a very good idea. Given that the mountains in New England stick up above the surrounding terrain almost as much as the Rockies do, you have pretty much all the same problems other than density altitude (which is only one of several serious problems faced in mountain flying).

What mountains are you talking about?

You CAN get mountain wave effects in lower mountains (BTDT). But they are much less worrisome as you have a lot of reserve power.

I wouldn't go through there when the winds are howling, except perhaps with a lot of ground clearance and everything strapped down (moderate turbulence is not fun with projectiles in the cabin).

You have much more concern about weather. Freezing IMC is a lot easier to come by in the mountains. And the weather can change rapidly, both in time and space. Take "mountain obscuration" AIRMETs seriously, though they are not necessarily a no-go (be prepared to modify your plans if the mountains are obscured, though -- overflying may or may not be an option).

Other than that, have fun.

In most cases, you can dodge almost all the turbulence by just flying higher than the peaks, even when over the valleys. However, the best views will be down low.
:yeahthat:

Back