Flying in Mexico

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
My wife and I are headed to Mexico next month for our anniversary, and she wants to rent a plane so I can fly her around and do some sightseeing while we're there. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

Have any of you flown in Mexico before? What would you suggest I do in preparation for something like this?

My wife and I are headed to Mexico next month for our anniversary, and she wants to rent a plane so I can fly her around and do some sightseeing while we're there. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

Have any of you flown in Mexico before? What would you suggest I do in preparation for something like this?

Not comfortable with which part?

Not comfortable with which part?

Sorry, I suppose I could have been more specific.

Basically, I'm a low-hour private pilot (about 70 hours right now, maybe 80 or so by the time we get to Mexico). I'm worried about airspace considerations, regs, etc that might be different than here.

I guess more than anything, I'm just not sure what differences there might be from the flying I've done in the US. Any advice/tips/etc would be greatly appreciated.

This will be an interesting thread! Can you rent an airplane from an FBO down there? I imagine you can, but the cost to get checked out, etc., might be prohibitive. Sometimes the best option is to pay a CFI for a lesson (get some landings in at some other fields) and get the visual tour with someone familiar with the airspace, airports, language, etc. Of course, with your wife along for the trip, too!

Isn't there a guy based in Cancun that does guided tours? Not sure if he rents planes but he does write a book and give help with customs, flying regs, etc.

Which part of Mexico are you going to?

We're going to a resort about 20 miles south of Cancun.

She was going to surprise me with the rental (down there, not renting here and flying down)... but she wasn't sure if there were any qualifications that needed to be taken care of before the trip (ie, radio license), so she ended up telling me about it.

Since I've never done something like this before (I've only flown one airplane in my life... and it's not exactly a rental situation), I don't know what goes into it. I assumed I would have to get checked out, but I don't know how long that normally takes. I trained (and currently fly) a 172, and she found a guy that said he could arrange a 172 rental for us while we're down there. Not sure how/where she found the guy, but here is his web site: http://www.archerbravo.com/

Also, I hadn't heard anything about GA hijackings in Mexico... anybody have a link to a news story? That obviously concerns me as well.

Also, I hadn't heard anything about GA hijackings in Mexico... anybody have a link to a news story? That obviously concerns me as well.

I don't fly in Mexico so I don't know anything about that. I have spent plenty of time in Mexico, and some of it off the beaten path. Crime in Mexico does occur and when it involves Americans, it gets a lot of press up here. I don't think it is any more dangerous than the US. It just depends on where you are and what you are doing. Most Mexicans think that the US is rampant with crime, because that is the press that they get down there. I've been South of Cancun all the way to Punta Allen fishing for bonefish and tarpon in some pretty remote areas, which are in the middle of nowhere. I've never felt threatened. I was told that Talum is a little rough at night, but considering that I don't close down the bars, that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. So, while I can't tell you anything about renting or flying planes there, I wouldn't let an incident on the Baja make the decision for you.

Last edited:

The latest that I am aware of is a family who was removed by gunpoint from their Cessna (210?) by banditos at Loreto, which is on the Baja peninsula and suffers from collateral drug running violence.

Though it is exciting to hear something unusual like this "plane-jacking" if you think about it how many people are car jacked in Phoenix or Minneapolis every month? I have been to Mexico many times throughout the country and the only crime I have been a victim of is someone in the US stealing something out of my bags on one of my returns. On the other hand my fiance was robbed at gunpoint a few years ago on a beach down there.

People are involved. Therefore crime is always a possibility. Aviation thefts tend to happen much closer to the US border than Cancun.

I don't fly in Mexico so I don't know anything about that. I have spent plenty of time in Mexico, and some of it off the beaten path. Crime in Mexico does occur and when it involves Americans, it gets a lot of press up here. I don't think it is any more dangerous than the US. It just depends on where you are and what you are doing. Most Mexicans think that the US is rampant with crime, because that is the press that they get down there. I've been South of Cancun all the way to Punta Allen fishing for bonefish and tarpon in some pretty remote areas, which are in the middle of nowhere. I've never felt threatened. I was told that Talum is a little rough at night, but considering that I don't close down the bars, that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. So, while I can't tell you anything about renting or flying planes there, I wouldn't let an incident on the Baja make the decision for you.

We've been to a number of resorts in this area over the years... so I'm not worried about anything outside of the airplane. Thanks for the information, though.

-Be sure to practice your DME arcs because most approaches down there use one to transition to the ILS or final approach course
-Don't rely on ATC to keep you away from the mountains. As a pilot you're God, and if you want to descend right into a mountain ATC will clear you as requested.

-Be sure to practice your DME arcs because most approaches down there use one to transition to the ILS or final approach course
-Don't rely on ATC to keep you away from the mountains. As a pilot you're God, and if you want to descend right into a mountain ATC will clear you as requested.

I'm VFR only, and don't expect to be anywhere near mountains if we take the flight. Our resort (as well as the place my wife has a rental worked out) are right on the Gulf coast. We'd probably take a flight from Playa del Carmen up towards (but well clear of) Cancun and return back to Playa... doing it all over or near the beach resorts.

Hmmm... I'm not familiar with Archer Bravo Aviation, but it seems like a useful service.

That said, I'd have a little trepidation about renting in Mexico. No specifics, just unfounded fears. To what level of standards are the planes maintained? How does ABA go about vetting the FBOs providing the planes?

Hmmm... I'm not familiar with Archer Bravo Aviation, but it seems like a useful service.

That said, I'd have a little trepidation about renting in Mexico. No specifics, just unfounded fears. To what level of standards are the planes maintained? How does ABA go about vetting the FBOs providing the planes?

That's why I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the idea. But, I figured I'd post here and see if you guys said something like "Oh yeah, we do that all the time... there aren't any issues." Instead, it seems like I'm hearing things similar to my initial thoughts of "Thanks for the idea Honey, but I just don't think it's going to work out."

Don't forget, it HAS to have an N-Number unless you are with a Mexican CFI.

Don't forget, it HAS to have an N-Number unless you are with a Mexican CFI.
or get a Mexican pilot certificate. That's how we handled it in New Zealand, by getting New Zealand pilot certificates. Doesn't sound like Marty would have time for that, though. (That being said, it really only took a brief ride with a DE in New Zealand; the rest was paperwork).

That's why I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the idea. But, I figured I'd post here and see if you guys said something like "Oh yeah, we do that all the time... there aren't any issues." Instead, it seems like I'm hearing things similar to my initial thoughts of "Thanks for the idea Honey, but I just don't think it's going to work out."

Marty, "Oh yea, do it all the time, no issues" ;) Seriously, Ive been up and down the Yukitan (SP?) and the Baja peninsulas and no worries. Been around most of the rest of Mexico but that was all heavy jet stuff. For IFR there are sublte but distinct differences in the regs, for day VFR you wont notice much difference. One word of caution, I have always flown in and out of Mexico in an "N" numbered plane. Could make a difference (It does in other countries). I flew a locally registered plane on some layovers in Germany and had to jump through some hoops but not a big deal. I will be out of town till next week but you can email me for some more specifics. Good Luck,
FB

I've flown there several times, but never just buzzed around VFR. Instrument flight isn't a problem, but the airport commandant approves your flight plan. I understand if you try to change things, go off course, or stop at an unplanned place, things can get complicated.

I'd suggest you just rent a plane with a CFI if doing a short sight-seeing flight. The AOPA site has an excellent write up all the ins and outs, if you're a member. That's what we decided to do in Maui. I didn't want to bring my log book, do a check out and learn all the local airspace. You can still log the time and the CFI can keep you out of trouble. Think of it as a guided tour.

Best,

Dave

Back