Flying in Italy

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
My parents and I are going to Italy on a tour of Rome, Tuscany, Naples and Florence this summer, and I'm interested in renting a plane for a sightseeing tour of the area; I figured this would be easier in Tuscany since it's less congested, then maybe fly over to Rome... but I have no idea how this would work out logistically. If anyone has experience flying in Italy, please comment. Would my US license be valid? Would I need to get an extensive checkout? Are the regulations very different? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My parents and I are going to Italy on a tour of Rome, Tuscany, Naples and Florence this summer, and I'm interested in renting a plane for a sightseeing tour of the area; I figured this would be easier in Tuscany since it's less congested, then maybe fly over to Rome... but I have no idea how this would work out logistically. If anyone has experience flying in Italy, please comment. Would my US license be valid? Would I need to get an extensive checkout? Are the regulations very different? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'm curious to see comments here. We traveled to Italy last year (Rome, Venice, Tuscany). I noticed very little light GA traffic, e.g. one plane per day heard overhead in Tuscany.

I went up with an Italian pilot/owner a few years ago, out of Linate op to Switzerland for fuel, then back. It was $100 in fees before we even got into the plane. Landing/ATC fee at the intermediate point, plus the cost of fuel. Even with all that, the fuel was so much cheaper in CH that it almost paid for the rest of it.

There may be planes there for rent, but I never saw any. Your US license is good for US planes, but due to some EU/Italian tax rules it'll be hard to find them these days.

Better to see if you can find a club or school and see if you can go up for a lesson. The rules are different enough that you'll want to do that anyway. I believe one of our members may have done that, perhaps they will chirp in.

The rental you people are used to is not common in Europe.

You can rent in the UK, in Germany, and some other places, but in most of Europe you can only fly with an instructor or something like that.

Also your US license is good only for a US-reg aircraft (plenty of them in Europe but very very few available for rental) or for a UK-reg aircraft until EASA kill that in 2014. All other European registrations require some sort of validation, at best.

I have flown to Italy a small amount (some trip writeups here) and there is very little certified GA. My guess is several hundred certified aircraft in the whole of Italy (Greece has about 200). Most airports do not have avgas. There is quite a busy "ultralight/sports" kind of community, based at about 300 grass strips.

Yes, Italy has introduced a totally mad "luxury" tax, where you take a hit of about $5000 after the aircraft has been parked on Italian soil for 45 days. That then is good for the remainder of the year. There is an exemption for aircraft undergoing maintenance.

I don't fly to Italy anymore in case something goes wrong; the last place I want any maintenance done is an Italian shop; the UK ones are bad enough :)

Last edited:
I flew with fellow members of the EMC Aviators group (http://orlandi.ing.univaq.it/emcfly/index.htm) out of Rome last September. The PIC was Italian and he rented the plane. Be aware that flying in Italy is not like flying in the US. A lot more restricted airspace. Oh, and forget about fly over Rome. Not going to happen. My pictures of Rome from the air are from an angle and a good distance. Also, your US certificate doesn't help with Italian registered aircraft. Yes, I did get some stick time, but I didn't log it. Good luck.

So... looks like that's going to be a no on flying myself in Italy--probably not even smart with the different airspace. I may still look into an aircraft rental with an Italian PIC that would fit the 3 of us--probably be cool to fly a bigger A/C if he lets me in the cockpit. Or perhaps I'll find an N-numbered aircraft... Hope we never go the way of Italy!

So... looks like that's going to be a no on flying myself in Italy--probably not even smart with the different airspace. I may still look into an aircraft rental with an Italian PIC that would fit the 3 of us--probably be cool to fly a bigger A/C if he lets me in the cockpit. Or perhaps I'll find an N-numbered aircraft... Hope we never go the way of Italy!

As much as I love flying, I am not sure I would spend a day in the air, there. There is so much to do and see. I guess that depends on how long you are there for, but you could easily spend a week each in Florence and Rome and hardly scratch the surface, not to mention Pompeii, Amalfi, Venice and Naples. Stay on the ground and you will meet some real interesting and friendly people and see some ancient history up close and personal. Have a great trip.

As much as I love flying, I am not sure I would spend a day in the air, there. There is so much to do and see. I guess that depends on how long you are there for, but you could easily spend a week each in Florence and Rome and hardly scratch the surface, not to mention Pompeii, Amalfi, Venice and Naples. Stay on the ground and you will meet some real interesting and friendly people and see some ancient history up close and personal. Have a great trip.

Thanks; we'll be there for 10 days I think, maybe 2 weeks. A large portion of the time will be spent in Tuscany though where there's not as much to do. Plus, it would be a cool addition to the PIC map! But I'm looking forward to it regardless; should be a bunch of fun!

Thanks; we'll be there for 10 days I think, maybe 2 weeks. A large portion of the time will be spent in Tuscany though where there's not as much to do. Plus, it would be a cool addition to the PIC map! But I'm looking forward to it regardless; should be a bunch of fun!

I think you will be surprised. Just absorbing their culture is something to do and they pretty much drink wine at every meal, so that should ground you :). BTW, a three hour lunch is on the short side.

I think you will be surprised. Just absorbing their culture is something to do and they pretty much drink wine at every meal, so that should ground you :). BTW, a three hour lunch is on the short side.

Haha, my parents are even letting me drink wine for the trip! Never thought I'd hear that from them at 17 :)
Also I hope to cook some too so that and the eating will keep me busy.

Haha, my parents are even letting me drink wine for the trip! Never thought I'd hear that from them at 17 :)
Also I hope to cook some too so that and the eating will keep me busy.

Lol, they poured my son a glass when he was 10 (watered down) and didn't ask my permission. Things are different there.

Back